PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my Automag, someone please help me. Im on the verge of selling it.

Vindicare
05-20-2002, 08:43 PM
I have a 68 automag with powerfeed. It has a venturi bolt and an RT valve. A little while ago i had a problem with my on/off valve. I took it to my local shop and they said they fixed it. The gun was shooting perfectly for a tournament, we took 2nd. Now last weekend i had another tourney. I gas up my mag and pull the trigger and after i have released the trigger air comes out from the bolt. Pulling the trigger a few more times causes the leak to stop or lessen, but when i'm shooting alot i'll get a huge air leak from the bolt. Thinking it was the on/off valve i took it apart and checked the o-rings, they were all fine, it oiled it, put it back together and tried again. No luck. It's almost as if after i pull the trigger the on/off valve doesnt close, letting air leak through the bolt. That may be why shooting it again stops or lessens the leak. Unfortunatly this means that i cant use the gun during games. With the air coming down the barrel it plays hell with everything. I had to borrow a friends AUTOCOCKER to play in the tourney. We took 2nd again but i am very mad at my automag, especially since i just got it maintained at my local shop. Can anyone please help me?

FordPrefect
05-20-2002, 09:32 PM
Put in a smaller PT spacer. You should be set.

Bartleby
05-20-2002, 09:54 PM
nice call ford.

Army
05-20-2002, 10:27 PM
Yup, Ford has it right. The bolt stem is just barely sealing against the Power Tube O-ring. This is NOT an on/off problem.

A shorter spacer will let the stem set hard against the O-ring, fully sealing the air chamber. I would also suggest losing the ANS bolt and getting an AGD stock "Long-nose" bolt. ANS parts are junk, and do NO improvement to performance. You should also pick up a Spacer Kit, this will let you change out the Power Tube spacer at will:cool:

Butterfingers
05-20-2002, 11:25 PM
Yep... This should be the rule.

"Never use non AGD internals on your automag"

This is usually the source of all problems.

Just do what these guys say and you should be all set. Slap your stock bolt on the fix is free and the stock bolt is better than anything you can get aftermarket.

Vindicare
05-21-2002, 03:32 PM
Can someone tell me where the PT spacer is? I remember seeing a bunch of different little brass things that go in the on/off valve assembly, i think. I really have no idea how i should go about doing this. If you can direct me to an online tech. manual that would be great. And Ford: Thanks alot, if this works you will have me and my automag's eternal gratitude. (that is until the next time it breaks down :) )

a_malfunction
05-21-2002, 04:18 PM
First, you are going to have to get a spacer kit. They sell for $12 in the online store (http://store.airgun.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=17&Product_ID=20&CATID=6). Take the valve out of the gun. Take the bolt/spring off of the powertube. Get large coin (nickle or quarter) and use it to unscrew the power tube tip (its the brass piece at the very end of the valve assembly). Take out the spacer and the o-ring. Read the size of the spacer, and put a shorter one in. Re-asseble, gas it up and let 'er rip! If you still have the problem, continue to an even shorter one.

But you cant call this breaking down... this is just general maintence.

PowderdToastMan
05-21-2002, 05:08 PM
if you have a problem with it leaking down the barrel that its the power tube. if you have the movie it almost always helps you find whats wrong. Even though its 10 years old...

Vindicare
05-21-2002, 06:43 PM
Yeah, but my automag has a tendancy to develop quirks, or just plain not work for no apparent reason. But i love the damn thing, and i dont know why :D

boggerman
05-22-2002, 02:36 AM
Toasty is right, the video will help you figure out almost anything that is wrong with your mag. **Special Bonus** You get to see Tom with 80's hair!!:D

hitech
05-22-2002, 10:54 AM
If you don't have one, here is where you can get it (free + shipping):

http://store.airgun.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=17&Product_ID=25&CATID=6

Vindicare
05-22-2002, 05:14 PM
Wow, the PT spacer worked. Thanks. I have another question though, the field strip screw on the back of my mag that attaches the valve to the grip frame doesnt screw in all the way. Could this affect the guns performance? After gassing it up i noticed that every 40 shots or so i got an air leak down the barrel, but because of the screw not screwing all the way in, i can press the valve more into the body and after i took a shot the leak would be gone. Was this just because the valve wasnt fully all the way in the body? Also, will lengthening or shortening the metal rod that the trigger actually pushes have a bad effect on the gun? Last time i was at a tourny someone told me that. I thought that lengthening or shortening it would be a good way to adjust the trigger pull. I'm not sure if what he said was right because he also said that a great way to clean out my mag would be to gas it up, put it underwater, and pull the trigger a few times. Thanks again for the help

BlackVCG
05-22-2002, 06:06 PM
If your fieldstrip screw is not threading in all the way, you have a problem with either the threads on the field strip screw or in the valve being messed up. If you don't wiggle the valve around while you're trying to put it in the gun and thread in the field strip screw, it will sometimes not thread in all the way. Try moving the valve back and forth as you try threading in the field strip screw. If that doesn't work then you do have stripped threads and need to get a die (for field strip screw) or tap (for valve threads) to chase the threads.

Make sure you have the rail bushing. It's a steel tube that fits inbetween the rail and grip frame in the field strip screw hole.

Do not touch the trigger rod. That is a precise setting. Only one setting will allow the valve to work properly. You want the trigger rod close up the back of the trigger, but not touching it when gassed up.

You can clean your gun by putting it in water, but don't put it in water and pull the trigger. That will let water in the valve. Just dip it in, swish it around, pull it out and dry it off.