PDA

View Full Version : Seperating Reg from Bottle

subbeh
05-20-2002, 11:34 PM
Any suggestions on how to do this? Preferable without scratching up the reg??

Kaiser Bob
05-20-2002, 11:54 PM
youre best off having a qualified airsmith doing it, as you may screw up the bottle or the reg irrevocably trying to do it yourself.

subbeh
05-20-2002, 11:55 PM
The reg is permanently screwed up. There is no airsmith near here, and I am willing to risk screwing up the bottle... any suggestions?

subbeh
05-20-2002, 11:57 PM
Basicly put, I want the reg off, and the tank is junk if I don't get it off anyway...

Snooky
05-21-2002, 01:49 AM
i have a pmi pe bottle that unscrews the reg from the bottle really easily and when unscewing it sometimes i get scared that its gonna blow off cause of how shotily made it is.

anyway i suggest a vice and a towel to wrap the tank in to get it off.

Timmee
05-21-2002, 02:07 AM
If you don't have a use for that bottle after you get the reg off (and if it's not screwed up), you want to sell it?

Tyril
05-21-2002, 06:00 AM
Pipe wrench and a vice... heat up the threads beforehand. But, for god's sakes, make sure the tank is completely empty!

Hope that helps

-Mike

than205
05-21-2002, 07:10 AM
Your best bet is to send it to Nitroduck (or whatever company you like) and have them put a new reg on it. Then you have another tank.

Ityl
05-21-2002, 11:52 AM
you need a bottle vise, go to a scuba place or maybe even a welding store, they can most likely help you.

Butterfingers
05-21-2002, 12:10 PM
Two strap wrenches work well.

hitech
05-21-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Tyril
... heat up the threads beforehand.

Do NOT heat the threads. Over heating of the bottle from rapid filling has been blamed for some failures.

HoppysMag
05-21-2002, 01:53 PM
hitech- he wants to get the reg off. he dosnt care about the bottle... and as long as its empty heating the threads will do nothing but losten the loctite.

Gecko
05-21-2002, 02:25 PM
Stuff needed:
bench vise
2 blocks of scrap wood
strap wrench (buy a large rubber one from sears)

sandwitch the reg between the 2 peices of wood and place it in the bench vise. Place strap wrench on the bottle start pulling. Righty tighty lefty loosey Keep in mind the tank was probably secured with red locktight so it's gonna take some work to get the bottle off. DO NOT HEAT ANYTHING obviously make sure the bottle is dead empty
Gecko

billmi
05-21-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Tyril
Pipe wrench and a vice... heat up the threads beforehand. But, for god's sakes, make sure the tank is completely empty!

Hope that helps

-Mike

NOT!
I spent the better part of a morning in a portable hydrotest facility last fall picking the tester's brains....
They said you should NEVER apply heat to the bottle (it will heat up during filling sometimes, which is OK, but blowtorch on the neck - no way).

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

billmi
05-21-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by HoppysMag
hitech- he wants to get the reg off. he dosnt care about the bottle... and as long as its empty heating the threads will do nothing but losten the loctite.

Re-read.
It's the reg that is bad. He's willing to risk destroying the tank, because if he can't get the reg off of it, it is useless (due to the bad reg - not a bad tank).

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

Tyril
05-21-2002, 03:03 PM
Let me correct that... when I said "heat up the threads" I mean in hot water. 110F water will not cause any kind of damage to either tank or reg, but it will soften the locktite sufficiently to get the reg off without cracking the tank.

I would also recommend to pad the whole thing in towels or such to prevent scratches.

Hope this clears things up

-Mike

subbeh
05-21-2002, 08:14 PM
To clear things up, i wanted the BOTTLE, not the reg. The reg is screwed.

And I was able to get it off without a vise and with much elbow grease and another guy helping...