PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what yall think

hostage
05-21-2002, 10:09 PM
Guys,
My mag looks a little boring, I decided to polish it up. It is starting to look nice and shinny but it still doesn't look shiny enough. I have a Boo-yaah grip frame and the frame color is chrome. what i am thinking about doing is spray painting my automag a chrome color though i do have chrestal clear enamel that i was thinking about spraing on it too. Please give me your feed back.
thanx,
Hostage

P.S if anyone knows how to polish it to get that chrome color let me know how. thanx again!

Load SM5
05-21-2002, 10:20 PM
Keep polishing. It'll get there. Just don't paint it. It will begin to chip and look like crap. Chrome paint never looks right anyway. What are you polishing it with?

hostage
05-21-2002, 10:50 PM
well i got 3 types of sand paper
Metal sand paper
800 gritt sandpaper
and 2000 grit sand paper

It use to look like the standard 68 boring gray with some paint stains on it. It has a few small nicks in it, then it looks like the the body also has extreamly exteamly small dents in it that I want to get all smooth. My goal is have it match with the booyaah frame. Also I want to make the body rail and the bottom line look the same any suggestions.
Thanx again
-Hostage

hostage
05-21-2002, 10:55 PM
the little dips i think are from the original finish that they had on it the fogged up stainles steall look.
-Hostage

epterry
05-22-2002, 08:47 AM
Polish it and polish it and polish it under water, if it’s wet/dry sand paper. bty you can do a search about polishing to get more info.:D

Creative Mayhem
05-22-2002, 09:01 AM
sounds like you have a good start. I personally would have the body actually chromed. You can get it done at your local custom moteorcycle shop, and its pretty cheap and it will give you the exact match to the trigger frame. Polnishing will look good as well, but it won't look exactly like the frame and it takes too long* to do right and to get the finish you want. hope this helps

*note: I'm really lazy when it come to manual labor:D :D

dansim
05-22-2002, 10:38 AM
fatman missed and hit the wrong button heres his link
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36967

Butterfingers
05-22-2002, 11:00 AM
You gotta go with a finer abrasive. Working the body down with course, medium, then extra fine steel wool will give it a mirror shine.

hostage
05-22-2002, 11:44 AM
So I can get it chromed at a motorcycle shop? I heard getting it nickle plated looks just like chrome but it is more duriable? Is this true and if so where could i get it nickle plated?
-Hostage

hostage
05-22-2002, 09:56 PM
okay i used the 400 grit and it seemed to work really well, it seemed as the sandpaper whore down then it started to act more as a polisher. I can see a reflection on it, though i still want to get it chromed proffesionally, i am doing the body rail and it is looking pretty cool now
though my arm is hurting the heck out of me. Ill post some pics of it when i get done.
-Hostage

luke
05-23-2002, 06:44 AM
Tell me what yall think

I think you spelled "you all" wrong. ;)

Aliens-8-MyDad
05-23-2002, 07:18 AM
not sure if he is from texas but thats what we say down here ;) yall...

hostage
05-23-2002, 11:29 AM
I have a big Texas flag hanging on my window, if that gives you a clue, btw yall is in the dictionary.
-Hostage

ShooterJM
05-23-2002, 12:13 PM
you-all (yôl) also y'all (yôl)

(1) You. Used in addressing two or more people or referring to two or more people, one of whom is addressed.

(2) Generally accompanied by a reddish glow from the speaker's neck. :D

dre1919
05-23-2002, 01:00 PM
Hell, I'm not from Texas and we use "ya'll" here. I don't remember my neck being red...

Anyway, since this isn't English class...I agree with the idea of having it chromed at a motorcycle shop. I think if you start working the body a lot you may damage it and then just end up having to buy a new one. As always, professional is the best way to do anything.:D

ShooterJM
05-23-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by dre1919
Hell, I'm not from Texas and we use "ya'll" here. I don't remember my neck being red...

Anyway, since this isn't English class...I agree with the idea of having it chromed at a motorcycle shop. I think if you start working the body a lot you may damage it and then just end up having to buy a new one. As always, professional is the best way to do anything.:D

True, I went to school in MO actually. First time I had ever heard Ya'll. Grew up in Michigan and Connecticut.

Yep, back to topic at hand. Good idea, I get my stuff plated at a custom car shop. Same idea, just let a pro do it, probably will get a warranty too.

rythm68
05-23-2002, 03:47 PM
Use jewelers rouge and a buffing wheel. It will give you a high mirror polish and take out some of the small swirls/nicks left by the sand paper. A polishing kit with the rouge is available for the dremel if you have one. Or you can get it for a standard full size power drill at some of the larger hardware stores. :)

try here:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/headsearch.taf?function=Search (enter polishing for the search parameter)