PDA

View Full Version : retro upgrade - problems

athomas
05-22-2002, 12:51 AM
I just upgraded my mag to a retro mag and encountered some problems and was able to solve them. Here is a list of symptoms and fixes for those experiencing the same problems.

1. Made sure all o-rings and parts were in place
2. Gased up mag
3. experienced excessive continuous air down the barrel
4. put shorter power tube spacer in
5. experienced excessive continuous air down the barrel
6. put more oil on all o-rings
7. venting of air down barrel stopped
8. dry fired mag to seat o-rings and check operation
9. noticed bolt stick and valve charge problem (sounded like sucking air through a straw).
10. tried longer power tube spacer
11. bolt stick and valve charge problem remained but trigger was very short and crisp when it did fire correctly. No leaking down barrel.
12. changed sear assembly
13. experienced excessive continuous air down the barrel
14. put shorted power tube spacer in
15. mag trigger was short and crisp and rapid firing was easily handled. Problems solved.

Hopefully this helps someone who experiences problems with a new mag valve installation.

Rock on.

a_malfunction
05-22-2002, 10:48 PM
The barrel leakage was most likely due to you not gassing the gun up fast enough. Either turn your tank on (or screw it in, if preset) faster, or hold the trigger down as you gas it up.

athomas
05-23-2002, 11:11 PM
I have an on/off valve and I hold the trigger while gassing up. It didn't work until I properly lubricated the o-rings. I suspect they just needed to be seated, but the oil allowed a better seal until that happened. Dry firing cleared the oil and it is no longer a problem.