PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance

~Backdraft~
05-22-2002, 08:21 PM
Okay, I just made a deal with my dad. If i can come up with enough money to pay for the first year of car insurance, than my dad will buy me a car. The problem is I dont know how much car insurance will cost me for a year. So what is the going rate for a 16 year old male??? I was guessing $1500 for one year. Is that anywhere close? Or do you have any ideas on how I can find out for sure, my dad wont tell me.

Thanks

AutoMaggot
05-22-2002, 08:25 PM
Thats about what mine is with a Grand Cherokee... for a sports coupe, you can add a few more hundred... but who the hell wants a sports car in Maine anyhow?!? :eek:

Zumina
05-22-2002, 09:18 PM
I pay $1528 a year. Basic coverage with comprehensive and a AAA discount. My 2 door car has a 12% accident rating. Don't expect to pay anything less than $1200.

Blennidae
05-22-2002, 09:23 PM
I think your dad may have pulled a little catch-22 on you.

You won't know how much your insurance will be until the insurance company knows what kind of car they are insuring.

It will vary depending on a lot of variables. Liability for a 16yr old male on Yugo will be less than full coverage for that same driver on a 2003 Viper.

Havoc_online
05-23-2002, 05:59 AM
when I was 17 I had to pay for insurance for a 98' mustang. They find anything to raise the price like on me racing stripes, plus convertible, plus GT, Plus it not being stock. I didnt even have any tickets but I had to pay $600 a month (my car payment was only $450) lol. Now I have a durango and the insurance is something like a little over $2,000 a year.

~Backdraft~
05-23-2002, 06:47 PM
Great, thanks guys. Now I have a goal to save up about $1500 over the course of the summer. :rolleyes:

boltsmack
05-24-2002, 05:16 PM
I pay 397 every 6 monthes on my parents policy on a 98 F150 4wd. Should have just asked me Ty.

StuDawggie
05-24-2002, 09:39 PM
If you want a good start ont he price goto progressive.com or any other insuarance web site that can do quotes on-line. But the catch is you need to know what type of car you will be insuring, w/ all the options that the car will have. That may be a problem. Your best bet is if you know someone in the insurance biz, sit down, talk to them, get a general idea of the cost and play it from there. I'm paying about 1100 per yr for full coverage, on my 96 taurus, but i also have a clean record, and all of my accidents someone else was at fault, so that kinda helped me out. Best of luck to you with the car thing.

LittleKrems
05-25-2002, 10:19 PM
sorry to change the subject but studog, do you live by an airport called riverview? If it's the riverveiw i know, i live like 10 minutes away in grand rapids.

StuDawggie
05-30-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by LittleKrems
sorry to change the subject but studog, do you live by an airport called riverview? If it's the riverveiw i know, i live like 10 minutes away in grand rapids.

for starters, it's studawg not dog (long story, and I'm not going to get into it). But anyway, no, I'm actually about 30 minutes south of detroit. The only airport near me is DTW (detroit Metro).

Sir. Foxalot
05-30-2002, 08:21 PM
I pay just over 1000. I am 16 and have a comprehensive package. Look for a good student discount. 10% for me so thankfully it reduced it some plus my POS car has problems if I get it up over about 25mph, so i dont think that they think i am gonna get into a speeding accedent.

bornl33t
05-31-2002, 03:25 AM
dood I remember when I was 16 .. YUCK
I pay 125$ a month for full coverage on a 98 cherokee classic and a 92 mustang gt vert all my deductibles are 250$

honestly though.. hte best way to find out.. walk into state farm, american family and a few others... try to make sure you get a local inshurance Co too.. and ask them... they're puter will spit you out a quote in no time.... just gotta tell em what kinda car your gonna buy. And don't forget the multi car discount, good grade incentive, automatic seatbelts that kill more ppl then save but you get a discount for having them....... there's more then that too.. soo....

if nothing else give me the word and I'll go to Ken... MY agent and ask him for ya...

giblit
05-31-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Sir. Foxalot
I pay just over 1000. I am 16 and have a comprehensive package. Look for a good student discount. 10% for me so thankfully it reduced it some plus my POS car has problems if I get it up over about 25mph, so i dont think that they think i am gonna get into a speeding accedent.

LOL thats the same way with my sister, her car barely makes it on the freeway

RT pRo AuToMaG
05-31-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Havoc_online
They find anything to raise the price like on me racing stripes, plus convertible, plus GT, Plus it not being stock. I didnt even have any tickets but I had to pay $600 a month (my car payment was only $450) lol. Now I have a durango and the insurance is something like a little over $2,000 a year.

never report that the car isn't stock. if you do get into an accident they will replace the car back to stock and you have to pay more if you tell them that it isn't stock.

OhMyAMoose
05-31-2002, 06:24 PM
Mine is basic... it cost 888 a year and I have a 91 prelude. I am 18.

dave_p
06-01-2002, 09:54 PM
i know a lot of you dont think youll ever make it over 30, i know i didnt. i felt sorry for anyone over 30 when i was a kid. but, im reaping the rewards now. not only do i pay less than 600 a year for 2 cars, im probably the only other person in the thread to get the Yugo reference. my buddy bought one new for 4000 dollars and proceeded to drive it into the ground(back in the 80's). what a POS!!!LOL. in its defense, you couldnt leave the headlights on, they turned off when you turned the car off. an advanced feature for its time, unless you payed a lot more for another car.

SqueegeeKid
06-02-2002, 12:16 PM
I'm about to pick up an 88 Cutlass Supreme for a guy i work with. I called an insurance broker to get a quote and it'll be about 1800 Canadian for a year (so thats about 10 US?!) with only basic coverage.
I'm 22years old and im considered married (commonlaw) so that knocks the price down.

Call up a broker and see what he has to say. If you have an idea of the car you're gonna get it'll be easier to find out the price.

Blennidae
06-02-2002, 12:30 PM
Yay Dave_P:)

I didn't think my Yugo reference would be missed by the younger members. Guess I'm showing my age.

Age does have its benefits when it comes to insurance. But you must remember not to abuse it. My insurance dropped literally in half when I hit the big 30, but then I was unfortunate enough to get a couple of speeding tickets in the following year, which of course bumped it right back up there.

Marriage also helps, as I was able to add my wife's brand new car to my policy and it only went up about $80 over what I was paying as a single guy with a crappy record on my 87 T-bird.

So there you go you younger guys, grow old and get married.:D