PDA

View Full Version : linux gurus

dave_p
05-22-2002, 11:05 PM
can anyone tell me where redhat 7.2 keeps the kernel sources? i just got it up last night and i need to recompile the kernel with some sources for my wireless usb ethernet adapter driver i got from the linux wlan project. make config cant find the source tree in the default path. redhat must put them somewhere different, or i need to download it. when i do download it where do i put it for redhat to find it? i think its /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES but im not sure. im looking for info now but if anyone here knows id appreciate the help.im poking around the directories but all the likely ones are empty. thanks

alf
05-23-2002, 11:29 PM
hey dave,

sorry if these are obvious answers...just checkin the easy stuff first...

as for locating the source...can you do a find?

find / -name "thefile*" -print

then, just add it to the path in the makefile or Makefile...

if you have to download it, you can put it anywhere that it would make sense to you, just modify the [mM]akefile to include the path of the new source.

-alf

RobAGD
05-23-2002, 11:37 PM
Humm you have to tell it durning the install to put teh kernel source files on the HD, You can add them via the RPM manager. I havent played with anything past 6.2.

-Robert

lopxtc
05-24-2002, 07:11 AM
Typically the kernel sources are kept in /usr/src/(some name like linux) ...
Now not all of the newer distros follow this. Red Hat and Mandrake lately havent been installing the source by default which is really annoying if you want to re-compile the kernel any time. That and they have a slightly different path to the kernel source then just /usr/src.
Either way you can the grab the source off one of the disks that you installed from, or off the internet.

As much as I love Linux, I have started to move away from it and just working more with OpenBsd and Solaris. The main reason is that there needs to be at some point a standard that is followed by the distros. Sure they keep the basic file tree the same but then they go and make changes below the basic level.

Aaron

dave_p
05-24-2002, 05:44 PM
i didnt tell redhat to keep the the source at install, thats the problem. i downloaded the latest 2.4 kernel last night. i will make and install it tonight. when i unpacked the tarball it very politely put itself in /usr/src/linux where it belongs. all is good. i just have to compile this kernel and then make and install the wlan drivers and im good to go.
thanks all!!!
dave