PDA

View Full Version : Should I Be Able To Do This?!?!

Paintballer86
05-24-2002, 05:13 PM
This scared the crap outta me. I was going to go and get my 68 4500 flatline filled today. I thought to myself, "Well, wouldnt it be smart to clean my tank before I get it filled?" "Yes." So i take off the adjusting nut, and take all the internals, and than I realize, there is a little space between the tank neck, and the flatline regulator. Me, being the exploring type, decides to see why that gap is there. At that time I learn that I can seperate the BOTTLE from the REGULATOR. Like, totally un screw the reg OFF the bottle. I almost pooped my pants thinking that I was going to get this filled, and it could have blown off while I was driving. So I was wondeing if this is normal, and I have othing to worry about, or will I have a package to drop off at the post office tomorrow addressed to 804 Seton Court? Thanks.

FrAuStY
05-24-2002, 05:28 PM
LOL, you're kinda witty like me.. I woulda pooped my pants too. I believe the tanks are screw in... but you shouldn't just be able to unscrew it by hand. I always thought they were screwed in with a certain torque specification.. kinda like head bolts on your car. Then again... I'm not exactly an air-tank expert. I know when they Vip'd my scuba tank.. he re-intalled the stem with a torque wrench to 15 lb/ft. Then again... thats scuba and designed for underwater use. I'd call AGD.. Doh.. they're not gonna be open til tuesday of next week :eek:

Paintballer86
05-24-2002, 06:45 PM
This is kinda urgent, so I am gonna give it an up.
\
\\
\\\
\\\\
\\\\\
\\\\\\
\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\\
\\\
\\\
\\\
\\\
\\\
\\\
\\\

BlackVCG
05-24-2002, 09:09 PM
Send it back to AGD. It needs to be torqued back to a certain setting. AGD builds a lot of safety into their systems, even if it came loose, it would not explode in any way.

Bartleby
05-24-2002, 09:47 PM
could you theoretically find out what torque setting it needs and then take it to a mechanic? i don't know, just an idea...

Paintballer86
05-24-2002, 10:29 PM
Ok, thanks guys, I will call AGD on Tuesday for an RA number.

WickeDKlowN
05-26-2002, 08:11 PM
whoa, i would have shi...crapped my pants too, lol

Pand0ra
05-27-2002, 08:32 AM
A lot of tanks are just screwed by hand on the regulator, like some scubas bottles. It's the pressure in the bottle which keeps everything in place, due to the force excerted on the O-rings.
If the bottle gets loose, there's a small hole in the threads which will release the air in a controlled way. So there's no problems of explosion, or tanks flying around lol.

@++

Kevmaster
05-27-2002, 08:43 PM
that is a SERIOUS problem. the reg needs to be secured into the bottle.

you shouldnt have to send it off to AGD. a local dive shop will do the work(usually very cheap), or if you want to do it, here are instructions.

I'm sorry, but your instructions are wrong. They do not meet the criteria for properly fastening a regulator to a bottle. Your torque specs were wrong and the sealant you recommended using was improper. I'm removing this to prevent someone from using these instructions on their HPA system regulator.

Paintballer86
05-28-2002, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by kevmaster
that is a SERIOUS problem. the reg needs to be secured into the bottle.

you shouldnt have to send it off to AGD. a local dive shop will do the work(usually very cheap), or if you want to do it, here are instructions. please, safty is the main issue with paintball. bleed the tank IMMEDIATLY and do not fill until it is fixed.
PLEASE email me with ANY questions you have before doing the work See, I am just goign to send it back to AGD so they can do it. I dont want to screw with 4500 psi. that would be just plain stupid. If I did it myself, I would always worry if it is goign to leak. But now that AGD will do it, I wont have to worry. :)

PyRo
05-28-2002, 07:34 AM
If you use red loctite the reg will not be able to be properly removed from the bottle when it comes time to hydro test the tank. This means that the tank, and/or the reg may have to be replaced. I believe loctite 571 can be used. I think thats the number, but not 271, that is permenant.
Just send it it.

BlackVCG
05-28-2002, 09:00 AM
Do NOT use red loctite 271. You said you're going to send it to AGD. Good. Just let them do it and do it right.

BTAutoMag
05-28-2002, 11:43 AM
whoa scarry