PDA

View Full Version : Pro's/con's about the Titanium Boomstick

Magluvr
05-25-2002, 05:05 PM
The title says it all, what are the pro's and con's of the titanium boomstick.

Jonneh
05-25-2002, 05:21 PM
Pros:
You'll be the hippest kid on the block

Cons:
You'll have to pawn off your eyeballs to pay for it

RT_Luver
05-25-2002, 06:24 PM
pro's
lighter then the regular

con's
get scratches in it easier then original

Cha0tic
05-25-2002, 06:26 PM
pros- slightly light than the regular boomy

cons- you could buy a backup gun for the amount you pay for the barrel

Yatta!
05-25-2002, 06:41 PM
Pros:Its Dye

Cons:Its Dye

Yatta!

marley618
05-25-2002, 07:27 PM
Pros: its a nice barrel

Cons: you could get a freak kit for a little more

Will Wood
05-25-2002, 07:35 PM
Here (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25458)

Hmm..this is my 69ths post! only 1268 more to go untill im 1337!

a_malfunction
05-26-2002, 12:16 AM
You could get something much cheaper that shoots JUST as good. I honestly cant see why anyone would pay for that.

Magluvr
05-26-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Yatta!
Pros:Its Dye

Cons:Its Dye

Yatta!

How is DYE a con? Are you referring to their high prices???
Then does anybody know if the Ti will be very durable, considering how a mag works??? Would the Ultralite be just as durable, or would it get destroyed quickly. (bolt rubbing against the anodization, wearing through, then rubbing on the aluminum)

Yatta!
05-26-2002, 02:27 PM
Yes I was reffering to the price, everything with Dye has a huge price. Dye, I hate to say, is nothing but over priced. IMO, there are a lot of cheaper barrels, pants, hats, etc that are just as good as any of their products. DYE has looks and a cool D now, wow. Its like Tommy Hilfiger. They put a logo on there and its $50 more and people think it is so cool.

Also, titanuim isnt durable as stainless, but it is a bit lighter. Its more durable than aluminum(not sure, correct me if im wrong). I remember Miscue or BlackVCG saying something about titanium when AO had a post on the titanium valve.

Anyways, you want a overpriced barrel that shoots just like or worse, I heard, than a regular boomstick. Go ahead its your money.

Yatta!

BlackVCG
05-26-2002, 03:53 PM
I don't understand why you are even considering the Titanium Boomstick. For what you're paying, you could get about four other barrels or one of the barrel kits. Unless you can get the Ti Boomer used for about $100, there is no point in considering buying one. It will probably work just fine. The bolt doesn't really touch the inside of the barrel, yes it does rub a little bit, but it's nothing serious. The Ultralite will work just fine. Tell me what reasons you have for considering the Ti Boomstick. I'd like to know what the reasons are for someone wanting to buy that barrel.

Magluvr
05-26-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by BlackVCG
I don't understand why you are even considering the Titanium Boomstick. For what you're paying, you could get about four other barrels or one of the barrel kits. Unless you can get the Ti Boomer used for about $100, there is no point in considering buying one. It will probably work just fine. The bolt doesn't really touch the inside of the barrel, yes it does rub a little bit, but it's nothing serious. The Ultralite will work just fine. Tell me what reasons you have for considering the Ti Boomstick. I'd like to know what the reasons are for someone wanting to buy that barrel.

Titanium is lighter than aluminum but much stronger.
Titanium is harder to machine but the end finish is much
more refined than even SS.
Titanium has the least resistance on a gelatin capsule than
any other material used in paintball leading to higher
accuracy and efficiency.
Bragging rights (personally I have never used them but hey!)
I don’t need four paintball barrels, I only use RPS Premium
& Marballizers.
“Buy quality, buy it once. Buy junk, buy it a hundred
times.” (Personally belief)
I would never buy a barrel “kit” or any 2 piece “screw-in”
barrel. Your barrel can get out of alignment very easily.

The freak is positively ugly, and it isn’t as accurate,
durable, or quiet as the Boomsticks.

KyleOx1
05-27-2002, 12:05 AM
I dont know if its true but a friend of mine has it and said that if u shoot fast enough(he has it on his tribal twister) that it can spark

PROS-VERY VERY VERY VERY NICE BARREL!
CONS-Price

liigod
05-27-2002, 12:27 AM
pro - its really the best barrrel around, and i own most every barrel thats reputable other than BOA barrels.

cons - money.... where?

BlackVCG
05-27-2002, 12:51 AM
Titanium is not lighter weight than aluminum. It is about 60% more dense than aluminum. The finish on Titanium can be matched by anodization of aluminum or highly polishing SS. Titanium doesn't have that much better of a finish than the other materials. As for friction, if there is actually a benefit, it's within the tenth of a decimal difference in the coefficient of friction as compared to other barrel materials.

Yes, it is a very nice barrel and lots of people will drool over it, but can you justify the cost? Also, paint varies constantly with temperature and manufacturing lots. You still need at least a couple different barrel sizes to cover that difference. I too personally believe you get what you pay for. But the majority of what you're paying for is the DYE and Titanium names. I don't have barrel kits or two piece barrels. I believe in solid tubes of metal. I was just throwing out the idea because a lot of people like those kind of things.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time because you're interested in the Titanium Boomstick, but I just can't believe anyone would ever pay $200 for a tube of metal. That's what it all comes down to. They are all tubes of metal some shinier than others. There are a TON of other barrels out there that will shoot just as well as the Ti Boomstick. Granted the Boomstick is great looking, why not go for the SS Boomstick? It's the same design, half the price and will perform exactly the same.

Croix71
05-27-2002, 02:09 AM
$200 for a single barrel is just a little more than what I'm willing to pay.

If you feel that the investment will improve your game, by all means purchase it. :)

Steven
05-27-2002, 11:58 AM
I paid $150 for mine. It is lighter thus making it less work to hold the gun after a long day.

Jonno06
05-27-2002, 12:39 PM
isnt the Ti boomstick,and regular boomstick a 2-piece barrel?

Magluvr
05-27-2002, 07:57 PM
Well first off I won't be paying full price for it. Most people consider me weird for doing it but I will spend months researching stuff and finding good prices. Hey, that's why I ended up with a minimag with palmer stabilizer for the front grip.

Second off, Titanium is denser than aluminum, that is why it is harder to machine. Hence you can make something that is just as strong as Aluminum but with a lot less material; resulting in a lighter product. You are right though that titanium isn't that much lighter than aluminum for its size, but it still is a little bit lighter.

Yes, I have also heard that Titanium barrels will spark. The spark is from dirt though, so if your paintballs, theoretically, were perfectly clean it wouldn't spark. Would you please ask your friend a question for me please? Ask him if the barrel scratches easily, or even when sparks come out does the barrel look as good as new. Thanks!!!

wes
05-27-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Yatta!
Yes I was reffering to the price, everything with Dye has a huge price. Dye, I hate to say, is nothing but over priced. IMO, there are a lot of cheaper barrels, pants, hats, etc that are just as good as any of their products. DYE has looks and a cool D now, wow. Its like Tommy Hilfiger. They put a logo on there and its $50 more and people think it is so cool.

Also, titanuim isnt durable as stainless, but it is a bit lighter. Its more durable than aluminum(not sure, correct me if im wrong). I remember Miscue or BlackVCG saying something about titanium when AO had a post on the titanium valve.

Anyways, you want a overpriced barrel that shoots just like or worse, I heard, than a regular boomstick. Go ahead its your money.

Yatta!

exactly, get a talon from wal-mart, better yet k-mart (everything is marked down 90% or somthing) take taht talon, get a 10 dollar dye sticker and put it on their, BAM, its a dye talon

all i know is that dye talons should cost like 600 bucks.

Ter-Me-Nate
05-27-2002, 10:30 PM
i think alot of it is people just cant afford it, or want a freak cause """"everybody says its the best:::: hype like a cocker.... no spamming please but my freiend has both and the ti boomstick out shoots the freak,, sorry i know it will piss people of because i said that,,o well i seen it with my own eyes,,,

but we were shooting proball and marbz's

and thats what we always shoot

now, i will say if you go to fields and shoot ""**** paint'' thats sat for 4 months and its always somthing diff
brand wise or bore size, i def,, would get the freak no ques asked,

but dont get pissed or jealous when you see my ti boomstick
because i paid """150"" for one bore size, and i think the bommy looks much better IMO......

ti boomys are not 200, unless ur an idiot and dont look for a good price

X-Plosive
05-28-2002, 12:19 AM
is anyone shocked? I would expect this on PBN but not AO. First of all, what reason could ou possibly have for owning a Ti anything? Who was the one that said it would cost DYE $700 to machine Titanium boomsticks which retianed the same ammount of friction as a hard annoed aluminum barrel? I don't think....I KNOW you won't see an increase in performance using a Ti barrel. The only way I can see a TI boomstick out performing a barrel kit is if your friend was a complete moron who didn't know how to match paint to the proper inserts. God Bless us if that's the case. If you really want to pay a crazy ammount of money for a Ti boomstick go for it, I just hope your parents disown you as a child:) I'm just kidding on that last part.

Ter-Me-Nate
05-28-2002, 01:31 AM
well by no means is he an idiot, he owns an ans cocker, and a new 2002 smartparts shocker, used to own his own shop but now just gets us stuff at dealer cost so we can all play, and we do ///every tuseday///he has been in the sport for 8+ years and i myself for 10+years and i did'nt say the freak was'nt accurate,, i guess one thing is with the paint we shoot there is really no need for inserts,as far as i have seen because my other buddy uses the same insert everytime we playon his freak

, and since i like the look of a boomy, but not the weight, im going for the ti boomy,, ill prob. end up getting a freak later too just to say i have one or play somewere that i might need it,,,

o and im 25 and live by myself///so mommy and daddy have no part in my pb purchases,,,but if they new how much i paid for any of this stuff they would disown me lol

hell its just money,,,,,,Big boys toys,,and the price of a freak kit or the ti bommy isnt that much to me.,,,,

now after i get married and have kids, that will be a diff story ;)

;)

Magluvr
05-28-2002, 04:53 PM
Actually my parents aren't going to disown me when I buy my Titanium Boomstick. Why? Because Everything "extra" I want I have to pay for with my own money, the limit the amount of course 20% of what I earn. They figure that if I want to waste my money, well its better than theirs. And my dad can't really say anything because he is ALWAYS buying and selling stuff, and then buying stuff that we barely ever use. (a.k.a. Mercedes, 2 camaroes, lexus he never uses them, but he bought them.) He thinks that this will be a great learning "thing" for me. And I have come to the conclusion "Buy quality, buy it once. Buy junk, buy it a hundred times." so if I want to stick to my philosophy I have to buy a Ti.