PDA

View Full Version : ReTro vs AIR valve.....

ScoobYSnax
05-26-2002, 09:03 AM
Well, I got a used ReTro valve a few days ago, and yesterday was my first day using it. I also was using a used barrel I had just received. I knew it wasn't gonna be a good day as soon as I went to the chrono and was often shooting 2,3, or even 4 balls at one time. Now, this problem is entirely due to the ball detent of the barrel, and not the valve correct? Because that is easy enough to fix....

I later switched barrels and it seemed to stop the multiple ball firing. There still seemed to be a lot of chops/breaks, however, and I'm wondering if the ReTro valve could be the cause of that? Do I need to shoot the ReTro valve differently than the AIR valve? If so, how? I never seemed to have problems with my AIR valve, but now with retro I seemed to chop a decent amount. Could this be because of short-stroking? Would having retro make me short-stroke more?

I had thought that the retro valve would make it harder to short-stroke since the trigger is bouncing back. As a different shooting technique required to shoot this correctly?

Final thing, how do I know when and what parts need to be replaced on the valve? I bought it used, so I do not really know how much it was used. I have a parts kit, but I'm afraid to open up the valve and play around with the internals. What parts should I keep an eye on or replace regularly? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I have everything working 100%...

Load SM5
05-26-2002, 09:10 AM
Are you shooting a a preset tank? If you're shooting an adjustable try turning the input pressure down. Your trigger may be too reactive causing it to bounce chopping the next ball. It can happen so fast you don't really even notice.

As far as the double feeding that's totally a nubbin issue. I recommend the plastic nubbins if you don't already have them.

ScoobYSnax
05-26-2002, 09:55 AM
Nope, it's a preset Crossfire 68/3000 steel stubby. I've been told these are good tanks....

Load SM5
05-26-2002, 10:08 AM
They are good tanks. It's that sometimes a preset output pressure can cause your trigger to be too reactive for your tastes. Try test firing it with just air and watch what you're doing. See if you are, in fact, not firing a small burst. Also try feeding one ball at a time and see if you still have chopping issues. Some people have problems with presets, some don't.

A guy at my field had his old school RT's tank pressure set on around 900 and was having the same problem. We watched him as he fired across the chrono and noticed he was actually firing twice per pull. The trigger bounced against his finger and fired again without him ever noticing. Maybe that's your problem.

RT_Luver
05-26-2002, 10:37 AM
the retro valve(if not use to it) may cause you to short stroke more then with the air valve because you have so much more of a ROF that you may just want to shoot. I didn't have any trouble with my friends mag but when I got my RT PRO i short stroked alot for about a day or too and once I got that trigger down I actually had to try and short sroke because I literally forgot how. also, the output pressureof your tank may have something to do with it. if its to reactive for your tastes then you will most likely short stroke because its returning it to hard and before its fully back you wanna pull the trigger again, and if the pressure is to low it wont return it with enuf force to really take it and feel so you short stroke it to. I would suggest if you REALLY want to have full advantage of the Retro valve that you get an adjustable tank. you can do this further down the road or soon, but eventually you MIGHT(not saying you will, you might like the way its setup. just gotta get used to it) want to set the pressure and return force of the trigger to your prefference;) have fun

luke
05-26-2002, 10:56 AM
You may not be "short stroking" the trigger, but, simply "stroking" it. I've seen more people break paint in my Mags this way than any other. By stroking I mean "NOT" getting off the trigger fast enough. Do not try to shoot it SLOW, get on it, then get off it!

BTW are you using an agitated hopper, it's a must.

PS, Every Cocker owner I have tried to introduce a Mag to, did this.

Mossman
05-26-2002, 11:48 AM
ya, what hopper do you have. 9v's wont cut it, get a Xboard 12v, richo, or halo. Do you have powerfeed?