PDA

View Full Version : My field strip screw broke off in my valve!

Can_Opener
05-27-2002, 07:38 PM
I was firing my mag and the screw just broke off in the valve, it is a 68 classic one star valve assembly from a marker that I bought used. I am not sure what caused this to happen, does anyone have any ideas what may have?

Smiles2480
05-27-2002, 07:43 PM
The only thing that I can think of that could have allowed that is that the screw was not tightend down all the way. The best thing for you to do is to extract the screw yourself and just order a new one. Besides that I dont really know what to say about that breaking.

Can_Opener
05-27-2002, 07:56 PM
My dad and I were able to extract the part of the screw that was broken off, and I am going to be ordering another screw this week. He did notice that the screw went in farther while he was trying to extract it, so maybe I did forget to screw it in all the way, although I was almost certain it was.

MagNumPI
05-28-2002, 07:30 AM
Well the screws are not ment to bottom out, so it's not that. Could have been a factory defect, hairline fracture that just gave out. I had a bad axle on my car, at a light changed gear and took off snapped a 1" steel bar in 2.

Bartleby
05-28-2002, 07:52 AM
hairline fracture in the screw preexisted or you didn't screw it in all the way. sorry i didn't bring anything new to the table, just that those are probably your best bet.

BTAutoMag
05-28-2002, 11:47 AM
note the irony in the mag problem and the member name:D

Can_Opener
05-28-2002, 03:42 PM
Thanks for throwing out some scenarios, as I said before I will be buying a new screw and it appears that it was probably my being dumb that caused the problem in the first place. Luckily it appears no lasting damage to my mag has happened.