PDA

View Full Version : Army, Shartley and all others....

spazzed
05-27-2002, 09:21 PM
Guys (& gals), I just want to take a moment and thank-you for service to our country. Past, present, and future.

Heh. I had a "speech" planned out in my head, but for some reason, it eludes me. Either way guys, a big Thank-You for everything you've done, your sacrifices, and the safety you've given us all.

Army
05-27-2002, 09:41 PM
On behalf of all who have gone before me....Thank you.

spazzed
05-27-2002, 09:46 PM
Army, I remember you mentioning a book by Hack (Hackworth) a while back, what was it called? I read something by him about 2 or 3 years ago & am very interested in picking up something else. Thanks!

Oh! I think I figured out what you do! A bit of everything! From what I've found, you blow stuff up (old munitions), play baby sitter on the firing line, and fix stuff... Am I right?

shartley
05-28-2002, 05:33 AM
Thank you… this was not expected.

And as Army said, thank you for those before me, and even those serving today.

spazzed
05-28-2002, 06:45 AM
You're welcome Shartley.

I don't mean to put any of you one the spot, but I feel that so many of you haven't gotten the respect you deserve and I wanted to to do what I could to change that. Without people such as yourselves, we would not be able to live as we do today.

FrAuStY
05-28-2002, 09:25 AM
I agree. Thank you for defending our country and its beliefs. Thank you for having the perseverance and dedication that you do.

Thank you to all the men who died to give us this great country, and those who have fallen in its defense. If it weren't for them who knows what kind of life we'd live.

As said before.. I agree with spazzed that our defense doesn't get noticed too often. Except when we're at war, granted thats when its most necessary. Well.. I was gonna get all gushy but I'll leave that for the women. Good Job Fellas!

Even though I'm not formally in the military.. I'd like to call myself homeland defense!

Ultimator
05-28-2002, 09:33 AM
I second everything that's been said.

I hope to be lucky enough to be able to defend the country someday too!

Eagle
05-28-2002, 12:17 PM
Hey, we got to make a living some how. And where else do you get to play with explosives:D

shartley
05-28-2002, 12:53 PM
And where else do you get to play with explosives
Construction? Demolition? Mining? Oil Drilling? Snow Safety? Oh, there are many other professions that let you play with explosives. ;)

I think the idea behind this thread was to show a little reverence to a dangerous job, and respect for those who did it (and those who have died doing so), as well as those that are continuing to do it today. And not because they can “play” with something…. But because they do so to protect their country.

But I could be wrong… ;)

Jonno06
05-28-2002, 01:34 PM
i agree with spazzed...thanx guys/gals

FactsOfLife
05-28-2002, 01:53 PM
Here's to the Colors, the Red, White, and Blue.
These colors that never run.
May the wings of liberty never lose a feather.

HOO-AHH!

Eagle
05-28-2002, 02:13 PM
Crap, I show my reverance for the job every time I walk across the brow. I sleep 100 feet from a nuclear reactor. And every time I feel the kick of the torpedoe tubes firing, I just can't help but cackling like a mad man, for I know that someone who opposes the star and stripes is about to have a very bad day. Audaces Fortuna Juvat

obsolete898
05-28-2002, 02:49 PM
Thanks. Having someone thank you for your service is always bright part of my day. We don't do what we do for the recognition, but it makes us feel good to know that we're in peoples hearts.

It also reflects apon the person you are. The fact that you would take the time to thanks all the people that have and are serving shows that you respect and love this country as much as we do.

Thanx.

TooDamnSweet
05-28-2002, 02:59 PM
I strongly agree with everyone! The men and women in the armed forces have dedicated their lives to defending and protecting our nation. You all deserve a lot more than your receive!

dansim
05-28-2002, 03:26 PM
i have to thank you all as well i only did it because i wanted to bayonet someone....but that never happened but it was fun and now that i look back at it im glad i served and im glad everyone else whos serves does so with pride

banzaimf
05-28-2002, 04:19 PM
something I wrote to a list I was on 3 years ago

I reflect back on the last 4.5 years of my life and the time spent in the US Navy and the things that I saw that make me so proud to have served. As I stood in formation at the American Cemetery near Cambridge and I looked over the acres of crosses and Stars of David I felt proud to be in the uniform of my countries military and to serve as they did. Albeit, not at the cost. It was a sunny June day. 50th V-E Day. I was in my dress blues. hot and sweating, but proud. I stood there with members of all branches as the Vice President walked past on his way to the stage. We marched off and got to relax for a while. After Mr Gore's speech came the flying formations. A B-17 and to Spitfire's. A tear welled in my eye. Then the F-15's came through and did a missing man formation. I started to tear up in both eyes. The taps being played on a trumpet along with the 21 gun salute from the cannon on the far end of the cemetery started me sobbing.
This past summer I was in DC and I went to Arlington. I walked through seeing tributes to heroes and I was proud to have served. I saw my old boss. Admiral Micheal J Boorda, a man who commited suicide rather than disgrace the uniform he wore, and I teared. I stood at attention as a funeral procession passed me. A gentleman in his 70's saluted me as I stood there at attention wearing short and a t-shirt. I was proud. I made it over to the Vietnam Memorial that day. I looked at it and I started tearing up again. I got to the middle and looked behind me and saw the placque put in by a group of Harley Davidson riders from Wisconsin as a tribute to their fallen brothers-in-arms and I started to cry. I kneeled in front of that wall and I reflected on all those who I had known that had came back from there in body but not in mind. My uncle who had not been able to take the nightmares anymore. Others who had found different escapes. I wrote a tribute to them and left it there. I don't know what it said... other than it was what my heart told me. I love my country and I am proud to have served it.

I propose a toast to all of our friends who are here and to all of our friends who aren't.... May we never forget either.

banzaimf

Army
05-28-2002, 05:30 PM
We don't do it for the money. We don't do it for the recognition. We don't do it for shiny bits of metal pinned to ribbons.

We just do it. For, if not us....who?

Military service means you give up most of your essential liberties. You are no longer a citizen, but a Soldier who must live by a set of rules and laws seperate from the rest of civilization. You live away from home, sometimes you don't see sunlight for months (Bless those who wear the Dolphins), sometimes you don't see dirt for months, sometimes you don't see water for weeks, sometimes the food is good, sometimes you get enough sleep, sometimes the orders make sense, sometimes your buddies die, sometimes you save a life, sometimes you are chosen for an award, sometimes you go home with but one ribbon, sometimes hero's are made, sometimes the shame is too much to bear, sometimes you lose the war, sometimes people hate you for what you do, sometimes people praise you for what you do, sometimes you are afraid to be a Soldier, sometimes you are warm enough on a cold night, sometimes you are the loneliest person on earth....

But at all times, you are proud to be a Soldier.

For if not us...who?

Eagle
05-28-2002, 06:05 PM
Horah Dolphins, and you always see dirt, where it comes from after 6 months under water is one of the great mysteries of my profession. And you see water, just walk into the head and look at the deck, someone has always left the toilet running.

But at all times, you are proud to be a Sailor.

oldsoldier
05-28-2002, 06:07 PM
thanks all. Army is right, you do it for something inside you. I was activated sept 20th, was national guard up until then (did 3 yrs active before that). Being in the reserve, in my opinion, is the most you can give the country. I had a whole 3 days from my alert until i was on a bus. Within that time, I had to move out of my apt, write letters to creditors, inform my work, say goodbye to freinds and family...the list goes on (thanks for all that you did mom). It was the hardest thing to do...yhou have no idea what its like to be a civilian one day, then activated and deploying out 3 days later, until you've experienced it. Dont get me wrong...serving active duty is no cakewalk. But, you can be ready to go alot sooner and easier than being a civilian.
Man, I forgot my point! Well, let me say this; if you have the opportunity to servc; do it. You will always look back on those memories fondly. And, you feel a certain pride during times like this.
Oh yeah, women love the uniform too!:D Sorry, couldnt be completely serious!

spazzed
05-28-2002, 07:41 PM
I'm not in the service (Thinking about it) & everytime I see the flag, or see some of you guys, the missing man, hear taps, the anthem. Every Single Time, I well up with pride, and want to cry because of it. The majority of the males in my family before me have served... I have nothing but the utmost respect for any of them, and any of you. What am I trying to say?... I don't know. Hell, you guys are the greatest. Keep doing what you do & never stop being proud for what you've done. You earned it.

shartley
05-29-2002, 05:46 AM
spazzed
My Wife read through AO last night (as she does often) and she read your Thread. The thanks you and said it was very nice. She would have told you herself, but she does not have an account here on AO (LOL Lucky for some here. ;)) but she does come into the chat room at times.

Just thought I would pass that on to you. :)

spazzed
05-29-2002, 06:37 AM
Shartley

Tell her I appreciate the kind words:)