PDA

View Full Version : RT Pro (or automags in general) and CO2

Prosper
05-27-2002, 09:22 PM
OK, first of all, I apologize if this has already been discussed to death, but I havn't found a clear answer to this question. So here it goes:
I've heard that under good conditions that co2 is theoretically a better gas to use , as it is inherently lower pressure, the pressure in the bottle doesn't drop off linearly as it gets emptied (until the end of the tank), it is slower to expand, and denser. However problems arise when the co2 doesn't evaporate fast enough, and liquid feeds into the gun. Therefore, doesn't it make sense that co2, with a good expansion chamber and regulator should work well in an automag?

I know from personal experience with co2 and my Sterling pump gun that co2 _can_ be very consistent, my gun shoots with +/- 3 fps, until the tank is near empty. I understand that my pump cannot cycle as fast a 'mag, but it doesn't even have an expansion or a reg.

Edit: Doing some further research, I've found that Glenn Palmer's site has some interesting info, he seems to be quite a co2 advocate, see:
http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/FAQ/co2_and_compressed_air_faq.htm

athomas
05-27-2002, 09:42 PM
Some blowback buns don't like compressed air without some modifications, usually to the springs, but most guns use compressed air very well.

The mag doesn't like CO2 because of the high flow rate of the gas through the valve. It condenses and freezes the air passages and o-rings. The RT valve exagerates this problem because of the increase in the flow rate over the standard air valve.

The Silencer
05-28-2002, 02:16 PM
On my mag sometimes the co2 just decides it wants to change temp and the tank just shuts off. I hate using co2 on a mag. So many little problems.

PyRo
05-29-2002, 07:46 AM
N2 will always be better than Co2 under any circumstances.