PDA

View Full Version : new paint idea

05-27-2002, 10:37 PM
tourney paint tends to be real thick, and rec paint tends to be real thin.... i just had a thought that tourney paint would be harder to shoot a barrel clean with. and here comes the idea, why not make/market a paint that is easier to shoot a barrel clean with?

AGD
05-27-2002, 10:48 PM
Because they want the paint to gop up on the player so he can't wipe it.

AGD

05-28-2002, 02:32 PM
hmmm, instead of having the fill thick and designed to have some non staining goop sit on top of the surface of clothing. what about something kinda like dissapearing ink that would react with oxygen and dissapear in 15 min. this would have to absorb into clothing so it couldn't be wiped and would be able to be removed in the wash if it were to work.

ICOM
05-30-2002, 05:57 PM
you want this sport to be called ink ball?

zvanut
05-30-2002, 06:17 PM
actually it would probably be a good idea.

it wouildnt stain because it would disappear but what if it was toxic.......

Vegeta
05-31-2002, 01:13 PM
I think a good idea to prevent wiping should be to prssureize the paintballs with paint, like at a low PSI... and gob goeey thick paint in them.. so when they hit they explode with more force and leave larger marks.

folder504
05-31-2002, 07:54 PM
That sounds like a very good idea. It might make paint pretty expensive, though.

zvanut
05-31-2002, 08:57 PM
might be expensive and not too many people would want that sticky thick nasty paint...

i personally prefer thin water like paint ;)

Vegeta
05-31-2002, 10:54 PM
Pressureinzing hte inside of the ball with a little air would not make the paint that much more expensive. When Pb's are made, paint is inserted with a needle between the two halves of the PB. All the manufactuer would have to do is after the paint is injected, a little air injected too. Thats all.

This would not work good with thin viscosity paint because when hte shell is broken the materials would explode into a blast of vapor, and not cover the player well. If the paint was thicker, it would exploded is thicker globs and coat the player. At least I think.

Butterfingers
06-01-2002, 03:34 AM
I like thick heavy paint. IMHO it tends to fly straighter and is more consistent over the chrono most likely due to the quality.

Liquidy paint tends to perform crappily.

Hamster Huey
06-01-2002, 08:17 AM
You wouldn't want to leave a big air bubble inside a paintball. That would create a non-uniform density inside the paintball, which would cause some mighty weird wobble if there were any spin at all placed on the paintball.

Unless you want to create a _staining_ fill for a paintball, you're not going to get much, if any, advantage over current fills. And even then wipers would just wear black jerseys and be no worse off. Gun/hopper/tank hits would be just as easy to wipe, as well. The best defense against wipers is still good, honest, vigilant refs...

...who carry around large knobby sticks to beat wipers with. :p

FreshmanBob
06-01-2002, 03:06 PM
dont forget that the shells of paintball let water in and out(we've all seen huge water soaked paintballs), so whats to stop this small amount of compressed air from going out?

Coaster
06-02-2002, 03:21 PM
thicker paint is definately a good idea, something to keep. If there is thicker paint, it means that the paintball(with paint in it) weighs more; therefore, increasing momentum. And if that is increased then the PB will travel farther...

Wat
06-03-2002, 09:49 PM
Increase viscosity or thickness doesn't necessarily mean denser or weighs more.

Potatoboy
06-03-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by ICOM
you want this sport to be called ink ball?

or even worse, GOTCHA- the sport.

:D

battlegroup
06-04-2002, 03:34 PM
The largest problem with the pressurized paintball is that the volume of air in the paintball would be very suceptable to changes in temperature. As we all know, pressure increases with a increase in temperature. If the ball is pressureized at 80degres(for example) Then when you play at 90 degrees the pressure inside the ball will increase making the ball more brittle. Conversly, if you play at 70 degrees the pressure will decrease, possibly causing dimples and out of round paintballs, therefore decreasing accuracy. The last thing we want in a tourney is a ball that is dependent on weather. It may work well in the cool morning and break all over the inside of the gun in the afternoon.

Battlegroup

Potatoboy
06-04-2002, 03:50 PM
However, If you are familiar with the paintball manufacturing process you realize that the gelarin balls are much larger when they come off the production line then when they are shipped. As the balls are dried and cured they shrink and harden.

If one could come up with a fill that would not dry out as well and would compress under the force of the drying gelatin you would in essence not have to change current production much, and as soon as that little shell has a pinhole the goo will come spraying out.

I don't know how practical this is, if at all. Regular fill doesn't work because the water base does not compress while in liquid form.

Maybe someone can back me up that this is theoretically possible.

battlegroup
06-04-2002, 06:41 PM
In the manufacturing process the balls do shrink because the moisture is being drawn out. I think you would find that the pressure inside the ball before it is dried out is the same as when it is dried. the only differene is the shell has hardened around a smaller volume of liquid.

The reason the pressure is the same is that a liquid cannot be compressed. This is a physical law, not my opinion. Now, the fill can't be a complete solid because A) it would hurt like hell, and B) it wouldn't mark.

The fill has to be liquid based and we get back to physics, you can't compress a liquid.

Potatoboy
06-04-2002, 06:51 PM
This is true, Water and oil are both very incompressable liquids, but some liquids are more compressable than others. If you'll note I did say that the fill would have to be redesigned.

battlegroup
06-04-2002, 07:14 PM
You may be able to slightly compress a liquid under extreme pressure, but not within the capabilities of a gelatin paintball. I don't care what the liquid is. You can't compress them.