PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the Smart Parts HALO

Puddleglum
05-28-2002, 12:36 PM
I just bought one, and I was wondering if it is any better than just a regular HALO. Since I got it for $81.00 I don't really care too much. Is it any faster? And does anyone want my Ricochet 2K???

KyleOx1
05-28-2002, 01:02 PM
got a pic of ur ric?
how much for it?
how long have you had it?

Aliens-8-MyDad
05-28-2002, 01:08 PM
i thought odessy made the HALO? :confused: ?

KyleOx1
05-28-2002, 01:15 PM
odessy does make the halos...
guess smart parts made a generic type halo...

soccerdude1008
05-28-2002, 01:22 PM
odyssey did make the halo. though smart parts came out with a halo which was supposed to be upgraded.

WickeDKlowN
05-28-2002, 04:01 PM
where did you get it?

CTG
05-28-2002, 05:20 PM
Smart Parts buys the HALO from Odyssey.

Puddleglum
05-28-2002, 08:57 PM
Wow!! Thanks guys you've all been really helpful. So far we've deduced that Smart Parts buys the Halo's from Odyssey and and makes them better. I KNEW THAT ALREADY. I wanted to know if anyone had had any experience with them.

pumpamatic
05-28-2002, 09:23 PM
Well, since you own one, maybe you could share your experience with it to all of us.

xmetal2001
05-28-2002, 09:58 PM
I heard that they were supposed to be quieter and a little faster but thats only what i've heard. Never used one.

Btw, how much u selling you richochet for?

Butterfingers
05-29-2002, 02:07 AM
I have one. The only diffrence I can see is the lid and the bearings which the new halos now come stock with.

billmi
05-29-2002, 07:42 AM
Odyssey sells HALOs to Smart Parts with ball brearings instead of bushings. The bearings are a tad bit quieter than the bushings.

Note however that the newer belt-drive HALOs are MUCH quieter than the original gear drive models (and more effective on vertical feed guns) than the gear drive HALOs with or without ball bearings. The belt drive system (it's an o-ring between the drive cone and the motor like on a Warp feed, a light tension spring inside the drive cone, and new software driving it all) is a positive pressure feed system constantly putting a light pressure on the ball stack ready to drive it into the breech. It's standard on new HALO's and a $30 upgrade for gear drive HALOs.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

Puddleglum
05-29-2002, 12:40 PM
Wow!! Bill Mills, I feel special. Thanks for the info. Is it supposed to last any longer than regular HALO??? And its a tad quieter???

davidb
06-05-2002, 04:05 PM
Heh, when I bought my Halo I kept wondering why the thing had a Smart Parts logo on the lid. I guess that explains it. I'm the only guy in my vicinity that owns one, so I didn't even realize that there was one without that. Now I just need to get a faster gun (than my current Spyder, which shouldn't be too hard) so that I have an excuse to get the belt drive upgrade.

AssassN
06-05-2002, 04:09 PM
Hrmm a Halo on a Spyder. What ever floats your boat... :confused:

davidb
06-08-2002, 05:26 PM
Well there's a little story behind that, so now sit down around the campfire and I'll share...

Once upon a time, one of my friends and I decided that we needed to buy ourselves agitated loaders. The local field was selling 12v Revvies for $50, so we each bought one. They worked okay, except that mine tended to eat through batteries like Homer at the all-you-can-eat seafood place. Then, after roughly a month, my friends loader quit working entirely. A day later, mine quit working entirely. Needless to say, that kind of turned me off to the idea of getting a new Rev, but unless I go really easy, there's no way I can play without an agitated loader. Now, we all know that the Halo is the best loader available, and that its capabilities far outstrip the requirements of any Spyder. However, we also know that not many people stay with a Spyder for any extended period of time, least of all myself (I really just don't like Spyders). So, knowing that I would eventually end up getting one anyway, I decided to go ahead and buy the Halo instead of buying a Ricochet or something and then getting one later.

Besides, when I had my Rev, I did, on occasion, still chop paint from outshooting the loader. No, that is not a claim that I can shoot 10+ a second (I have had people think that I was using an E-frame, but that was not during a game, just sitting there seeing how fast I could shoot :D). The loader obviously had problems, but it would feed around 9-10 per second when just dropping paint. The Halo, on the other hand, emptied itself of 180 (yes I counted, I was bored and curious) paintballs in nine-point-I-don't-remember seconds. I can fan the trigger to my heart's content without ever having to worry about outshooting the loader, and I know that I won't need to upgrade my loader when I replace my gun. So, yes, I guess you could say that it floats my boat.

[techies step in to take away soapbox]