PDA

View Full Version : Question on powering warp

FrAuStY
05-29-2002, 11:19 PM
I thought I knew a few things about electricity, but his one slips my mind. Correct me if I'm wrong. Current is the pull of electricty due to a load placed into the circuit. In the warp feed scenario, the pcboard and motor. So its relatively low I would think. Now my question is, I have a 1600 maH nickel-metalhydride rc car battery that I'm sure with that current rating would power my warp all day with no problems. BUT... would that in any way effect the motor or any component? TK? I don't think it will, but then again... I should never listen to me. :D

I'm sure several have tried before but I searched using 9.6 to see if anyone used a re-chargeable 9.6v rc car battery to power their warp. I didn't find any replies regarding my question. PLEASE HELP

FrAuStY
05-30-2002, 10:59 AM
UP!!
\
\\
\\\
\\\\
\\\\\
\\\\\\
[][]
[][]
[][]
[][]

Bartleby
05-30-2002, 11:45 AM
i bet it would work fine. seeing as the warp feed runs on a single 9v battery, and you're just kickin in an additional .6v i don't think it would be a problem. one thing that may occur would be a faster spin on the disks, but i don't think that's a bad thing.

FrAuStY
05-30-2002, 11:56 AM
Well I already set this up and I did hit the primer button. The disks don't speed up much but they are more forceful. I just wanted to make sure the I would fry the board due to a current spike due to 9v batteries have like 130 mah I think thats milliamp hours or just milliamp. The R/c battery is 1600! thats 12 times the ability to supply the 9 volts. I'm hoping this will just allow for longer operation (which I know it will) without harming anything. Hopefully BlackVCG or another mod with some experience can help out too!

I appreciate your post Bartleby but I really need to know what damage the current supply from the battery could cause if any. I just can't for the life of me remember from DC electronics if the current rating of the battery can damage components, or if its just a voltage spike that can do it.

Bartleby
05-30-2002, 12:01 PM
you touched on it before that 1600maH will last 12 times as long as one 9v battery at about 130maH. The maH will not cause any damage as with all electronics, when you require a longer battery life you purchase a battery that has a larger maH, which, like you said, has nothing to do with the voltage. the extra .7v will not cause any damage, the only reported problem i have heard of was when someone attached 2 9v batteries to their warp. that fried the board but i am possitive you will not have a problem. actually i'd like to compliment you on the idea of using an rc battery, and i may end up trying that myself. goodluck with it. :D

FrAuStY
05-30-2002, 12:20 PM
well I did it using a 5.5mm OD x 2.1MM ID DC powerplug (radioshack at.#: 910-0902) and a 5.5mm OD X 2.1mm ID DC Power Panel-Jack (Cat.#: 910-0904) I ran the wires from this jack to one side of my powerswitch (on-off-on) so I can switch between the RC battery and another 9v backup just in case it loses hope. I also had to find male plug to connect to the R/C car battery pack. I then soldered them up keep the correct polarity. Now I just plug my little plug into my warp and turn her on. I put the battery in my tank cover for right now. But I am gonna fabrictate a thin aluminum box to keep the battery out of my way. I'll have to post some pics once I get it allll done. I really appreciate you helping me.. I know you and I didn't read this thing 30+times only to post 4x. Thanks. WOOT! I'm excited.

Bartleby
05-30-2002, 12:39 PM
anytime. when you get pics up and try it on the field you're gonna have to tell me how it goes. I've got that same exact setup on my warp right now with two 9vs on an on-off-on switch. good luck with the casing to mount the battery and remember to post pics! adios...:D

Ityl
05-30-2002, 01:34 PM
what about an emag running the full 16.8 volts to run the gun, warp, and hopper? Haven't had anything happen yet, it was done by a former AGD employee too. AGDE makes rechargeable batteries for warps and I think they are around 10 volts. The motor is only meant to use 12v (usually they are atleast) so as long as there isn't too many amps coming from a higher voltage power source it should be ok.

FrAuStY
05-30-2002, 02:28 PM
Well I see that I'm going to have some looongg days with the warp hehe thanks for the reponse :)

rianrt
05-02-2003, 10:32 AM
ityl how long does the emag battery last powering all that?
About the voltage. The motor supports 18 volts the board on the other hand is only 12. That is why you use the 12V reg. The current you are right. It doesn't matter its 1600 compared to 320. That means you can just run it for days.