PDA

View Full Version : The Upgrade Thread

PaintballerX
05-30-2002, 01:47 PM
Hey, it's my first post, and I figured I might as well make it a whopper...

The Upgrade Thread

Well, after being asked exactly 8.5 billion times what to buy for my marker, I’ve decided to make a thread totally devoted to it. Here it is, split into the categories of Barrels, Hoppers, Tanks, Inline Regs, Drop Forwards/Cradles, and Grips.

Barrels

Ah, the upgrade of all upgrades, considered the first thing to add to your shiny new marker---a barrel (or barrel system). There are hundreds of barrels to choose from, and picking the right one is quite hard. I’ve chosen some of my favorite barrels/barrel systems below:

DYE (www.dyeprecision.com) - Very popular, indeed. The honing on these is absolutely beautiful for a mass-produced product. A good paint to barrel match and one of these babies will put your ball right where you want it (no nasty thoughts, guys:)). Many varieties to choose from, including Stainless Steel, Ultralite, Boomstick, and Titanium Boomstick.

Smart Parts (www.smartparts.com) - Also one of the leading barrel producers, SP has been in the biz quite a while and has some absolutely fabulous products. They carry the most popular barrel system on the market, and back up their products 100%. Choices include the Teardrop, All American, Big Daddy, Progressive, and the one that owns them all, the almighty FREAK System.

Barrels of America (www.barrelsofamerica.com) - Ooh…one of my FAVORITE barrel makers. These babies are custom built in any length you want, and you can choose from a Snakebit or Express barrels, with or without porting, and in brass or nickel. Extremely cheap for what you get, very well made and machined, look great, awesome customer service…one of my top picks for barrels.

Equation Designs (www.equationusa.com) - These guys produce the infamous Bizerk barrel (infamous, of course, for it’s 8” length), as well as the Multi-Switch barrel system. Nice barrels, and prices are pretty good as well, but not many dealers carry these…not one of my top picks, but nice.

Armson Ltd. (www.armsonltd.co.uk) - Makers of the borderline popular Stealth barrel. Armson barrels are used on Pro-Team Markers, which are connected with Armson and Benchmark Products.

32 Degrees (www.32ice.com) - Er…many people like these. I don’t. All of their barrels are copies of other, existing barrels. Boomstick, Infinity, etc. If you get a good price on one, and it works fine, go for it though. These are quite cheap.

J&J (www.jjperformance.com) - Very nice, and very cheap. J&J Ceramic barrels are VERY popular and retail at between $20-$40. Also available are the Full Tilt and Pro Barrels.

Custom Products (www.customproductsaz.com) - The best barrels around for the price, in my humble opinion. At around $40 a pop for the one-pieces, these are awesome barrels at an awesome price. Also available: CP Barrel Kit.

Lapco (http://www.lapcopaintball.com/index.shtml) - Great prices for great barrels, both performance- and looks-wise. Check these babies out!

Hoppers

Some of the best hoppers on the market:

Ricochet 2K/AK (www.ricochet2k.com) - The 2k version comes with game timer and LCD display. The AK is the bare-bones version with nothing but the push button. This hopper looks cool, and it SUPPOSEDLY bounces balls because of it’s shape…I’ll believe it when I see it. :)

Viewloader Revolution 9/12 Volt (www.viewloader.com) - The differences in volts are the feed times, and a 12-volt is always recommended. This is the most used hopper in the world, and has many upgrades, including boards, paddles, and other accessories, to make it feed as fast as you can shoot.

Odyssey HALO (www.smartparts.com) - Modified version made/distributed by Smart Parts. Can feed 20+ balls per second. Spring loaded drive cone. Older models have a gear drive system. Newer, 2nd generation belt driven HALO's (HALO-B) are belt driven and are quieter, easier on paint, and less sensitive to overfilling. Available in Black, Red, Smoke, Blue, Green and Clear. Takes 6 AA batteries. The HALO is about the same size as the Revy/R2K but is much heavier and, to some people, horrendously ugly. *Thanks MINDofSIN*

Zap Mach 404 (www.zappaintball.com) - Uses "Shockwave" Technology to vibrate balls into place. Supposedly prevents balls from jamming, but it’s not an amazing sight to behold…I’m not a big fan.

Air Gun Designs Warp Feed (www.airgun.com) - Moves the hopper off the gun and creates a smaller profile. Force feeds at up to 15bps or more with modifications. *Thanks CrazyB*

Viewloader Evlution (Discontinued, new one being designed) - This electronic loader is capable of feeding up to 13bps while also being able to adjust it's feed rate down to 9bps when not firing as fast. This holds the most balls of any conventional hopper, at around 215. This hopper has been accused of jams and breaking a lot but it's followers disagree. *Thanks PGA1234*

Tanks

I won’t mention any Co2 tanks, but I WILL tell you my favorite nitrogen tank brands around.

MacDev Conquest (www.macdev.net) - My absolute FAVORITE tank around. I own three of them, if it helps with your decision. :) Great recharge rate, light, well-built, cheap for what you get, backed by great customer service…awesome tank.

Smart Parts Max-Flo (www.smartparts.com) - A bit overrated, but nice anyways. Doesn’t need an inline reg, so don’t use one, or you’ll starve your marker of air.

PMI Pure Energy (www.buypmi.com) - A good, low-priced performer. Ranging anywhere from $70-$350 for a tank, these are nice tanks at good prices.

Crossfire (www.crossfireinc.com) - With a nice recharge rate and a good price, this tank is one to look at if you’re just getting into nitro tanks.

Centerflag (www.centerflagproducts.com) - Makers of the popular Dynaflow and Hyperflow systems, these are great tanks at pretty-good prices.

Nitro Duck (www.nitroduck.com) - These aren't bad. Quite cheap, light, but the recharge rate disgusts me. Not one of my TOP picks, but definitely worth a look. Much better than those 32* Systems, eh? :P *Thanks Hoplon*

Inline Regulators

Centerflag (www.centerflagproducts.com) - Comes stock on Matrices, and a very good performer. Good consistency.

AKALMP Sidewinder (www.akalmp.com) - Ah, the Sidewinder, considered the low pressure regs of all low pressure regs…made by AKA. These guys have got it goin’ ON! Awesome regulator.

MacDev Gladiator (www.macdev.net) - Awesome reg…that’s all I have to say. Just awesome. I use it on many of my markers, and it’s a solid performer at a great price.

ANS Gen-X (www.?.com) - I’m not a huge fan of this reg…in my experiences, it’s had leaking, consistency, and similar problems a lot of the times you use it. I’d stay away from it, but many people have had good experiences with it.

Air America Vigilante/Messiah (www.airamerica.com) - Some very popular regulators, the Vigilante is considered more of a “high pressure” reg, while the Messiah is used mostly for LP setups.

Drop Forwards/Cradles

There are hundreds of them out there, so here are a few I really like:

KAPP Drop Zone II/Stubby Drop Zone (www.kapp1.com) - These are my favorite drops/cradles of all time. They are well made, look great, and are adjustable. Great products, pick one up.

Custom Products Flame/Lightning/Micro (www.customproductsaz.com) - Also great products, these take a lickin’ and keep on tickin’. They also look awesome to boot!

Psycho Ballistics (www.psychoballistics.com) - Well made, and they look pretty good as well. Be forewarned---these drops are longggggggg! Good customer service, as well.

Grips

Not much to say here---only a few to list:

DYE Sticky/Basic Grips (www.dyeprecision.com) - They’re grips…that are sticky. So..yeah. Anyways. Clear ones get yellow after awhile if you don’t wear gloves.

Hogue Grips (www.?.com) - Nice and cheap, around $10 or so for a set.

Let me apologize if all of this isn’t TOTALLY clear---I’m going to add much more to it later. Thanks for reading, and I hope I helped somebody out. Please feel free to PM me with stuff or tell me stuff to add to it on the thread---I’m open to suggestions. Also remember that all of this is only about 25% of what I plan to write…there will be much more to come.

I also might add in specific marker upgrades, i.e. 'Cocker or Spyder.

---Mike

On to the 'Cocker Upgrade FAQ:

Autococker Upgrades

Yes, I promised I’d do specific marker upgrades, so here it is for the famous Worr Games Autococker. This one is divided into Pneumatics, Bolts, Valves, Bodies, and Grip Frames.

Pneumatics

Regulators

Palmer Rock/Mini Rock/Micro Rock (www.palmer-pursuit.com) - My FAVORITE regulator. This baby is consistent, well-made…it does great in everything a pneumatic regulator should be able to do. MSRP is around $55, but they’re worth it.

ANS Jackhammer (www.?.com) - Also a nice reg. Not very good looking, but it does the job. I’d personally pick up a Rock for around the same price, but these are nice all the same.

WGP Tickler (www.worr.com) - Not sure about this one yet…if anyone has any reviews on this, let me know! I’ll try one out when the Orracles come in…

3-Ways (Note: these are reviewed on a scale of 1-10, 10 being highest, on shortness and smoothness)

Shocktech Bomb (www.buyshocktech.com) - Very nice, and considered the benchmark for rating 3-ways. 9.0; 6.5

WGP STO (www.worr.com) - VERY smooth! It’s basically a stock 3-way with polishing, but I’m kinda diggin’ those stock ones anyways :P 6.0; 9.0

ANS (www.?.com) - Pretty smooth, but not too short…the STO is even a better choice, with the Hollowpoint (see below) coming in at top. 7.0; 7.5

Belsales Hollowpoint (www.?.com) - My absolute favorite 3-way. Extremely smooth, and very short, with the signature Belsales quality in there…beautiful! 9.0; 9.5

Rams

I’m not going to do rams, because I feel they are all basically the same. Some nice ones: ANS, Palmer, and STO (KAPP or WGP).

Bolts

Shocktech Supafly (www.buyshocktech.com) - One of the top-selling bolts, this one is considered one of the best. Definitely one to look out for.

AKALMP Lightning (www.akalmp.com) - My favorite bolt around; one of the best made and machined, and the quality control is awesome, meaning the bolts will be the same size, shape, and quality every time.

ANS Quick-Pull (www.?.com) - Also one of my favs, this one locks in tight, so it doesn’t require a pull-pin.

Valves

Shocktech RAT (www.buyshocktech.com) - The valve of all valves, right next to the Tornado by AKA…very popular. Nice upgrade for any ‘Cocker.

AKALMP Tornado (www.akalmp.com) - The mother of all LP valves! Pick one of these up, and you’ll be rockin’!

TASO (www.?.com) - Nice valve, for a cheap price. If you’re upgrading on a budget, check one of these out!

Bodies

Spankey (www.fireballmountain.com) - Many styles to choose from, Cobra, Fishbone, and Teardrop being the most popular. These things are AWESOME! They look incredible (my favorite is the Cobra, with the Fishbone in a close second), and aren’t too expensive compared to others.

Shocktech (www.buyshocktech.com) - These are NOT worth the money in my opinion. While they look nice, you can pick up a much better looking body from Spankey for cheaper. These DO come with a 15* ASA though…

Professional Paintball Free-Flow (www.professionalpaintball.com) - Yep, the same bodies that come on the legendary FREE-FLOW Autocockers, these are available in three choices of milling, “Boxxer” being the most expensive and the most intricate. These are WAY overpriced, in my opinion.

Grip Frames

WGP Hinge (www.worr.com) - This thing looks FUGLY! It’s a nice performing trigger, however, so I’ll cut it some slack. My only other beef with it besides it’s looks is the fact that it’s not adjustable. I personally don’t like Hinge-style triggers, but if you do, check out the Eclipse:

Eclipse Blade (www.planetpaintball.co.uk) - My favorite hinge-style trigger frame. This one is adjustable, awesome looking, and well-made, albeit being a bit expensive.

KAPP Reflex (www.kapp1.com) - Haven’t tried one of these yet, but search pbreview.com and the forums for a good review or two.

ANS Quickfire Trigger System (www.?.com) - VERY fast, and quite cheap for what you get…add a Roller Sear and you be jammin’ mon.

DYE Sliding Frame (www.dyeprecision.com) - Extremely smooth, even WITHOUT a roller sear. This baby’ll lay down the paint!

Benchmark Sliding Frame (www.benchmarkpaintball.com) - Probably my favorite ‘Cocker trigger frame, this isn’t quite as smooth as the ones above, but the quality and precision is incredibly good.

Yes, this was a short review. I didn’t go half as deep into the Autococker Upgrade Info I could have…reason? I’m lazy. :D Anyways, like always, if you have anything to add just say it right here and I’ll add it in!

---Mike

PaintballerX
05-30-2002, 01:48 PM
I'M not even sure why I included the Autococker Upgrade FAQ...it was written for another forum, but..oh well. They do have an Angel forum here... :P How do you guys like it?

---Mike

Creative Mayhem
05-30-2002, 02:52 PM
wow someone has some time on thier hands...

Nice job though!

dre1919
05-30-2002, 04:10 PM
Nice job man.:) This thread will definitely help someone looking for links to these products at the very least. Play on playa.

nutz
05-30-2002, 04:15 PM
yea cool thread... i deffinitly recomend a freak system for any one who shoots mags

Yudanja
05-30-2002, 04:34 PM
Ack, you left out the AGD flatline tanks, they rock =)

Nice post, already got some tips for my new cocker, looking at them now =)

Welcome to AO!

PaintballerX
05-30-2002, 04:42 PM
Gah! I did leave 'em out! I'll add them in tommorow...unless one of you fine people would like to write a review for it. Format: AGD Flatline (www.airgun.com) - Description

In other news, Yoda is one BAD *EDIT* Nope, no cussing or circumventing the filters here. Since you're new, I won't tear your head off.......this time.......:) Army.

Potatoboy
05-30-2002, 04:48 PM
J&J also makes the Edge barrel kit. It's a lot like the CP kit and is the new version of the full tilt system.

PaintballerX
05-30-2002, 05:30 PM
Bump...

PaintballerX
05-30-2002, 05:31 PM
BTW, sorry Army. I didn't try to "circumvent" (ack! big word!) the filters...but I was wrong. I sowwy. :(

---Mike

X-Plosive
05-30-2002, 06:22 PM
I had a conquest for a little while and I did suffer from noticeable shootdown with it. I then traded it for a brand new AA raptor. I think this Upgrade list has a couple misconceptions but they can b fixed.

PaintballerX
05-30-2002, 09:55 PM
And what "misconceptions" are those?

X-Plosive
05-30-2002, 09:58 PM
I wasn't attempting to belittle this thread or flame you. I just see a couple of points which I onced agreed with but as I stayed on AO realized they are as I said "misconceptions".

X-Plosive
05-30-2002, 10:32 PM
Okay well I thought I was going out but evidently I'm not so here we go :)

I said a "couple" misconceptions; they just bothered me while I read the thread.

First off, it sounds a little like you are hyping dye barrels. You fail to mention that ANY barrel with a good paint to barrel match will shoot accurately. Secondly you left out how horribly inefficient DYE barrels are(yes all of them). I think you may have made a little mistake. You mentioned "Many varieties to choose from, including Stainless Steel, Ultralite, Boomstick, and Titanium Boomstick.". There is no actual regular "boomstick". There is an SS boomstick, a Ti boomstick, both which you already mentioned. If you think about it an ultralite is just an aluminum boomstick. The material which a barrel is made out of also plays a small role on the performance of a barrel as you will see in Toms Tech tips. Even a highly polished SS barrel causes more friction than a hard anodized aluminum barrel which is almost always cheaper. The rest of the barrel reviews are pretty right on target except there has been a good bit of slander about SP and their quality (I don't know whether to believe it or not). I think you may also want to mention how loud those Armson barrels are...it sounds a little like a muffled shotgun.

Next, actually I already covered the issue with the macdev tanks. I even called Mac Developments up and they told me it is "not reccomended to be used on guns which require a relatively high input". Mags require atleast 600 psi to cycle properly...correct? Maybe 650 psi?

Last, your section on regulators is a little irrelevant to mags considering you left out the world’s best reg for co2:D. The only time you should ever have an inline regulator on a mag is IF you are running co2. The Palmer Stabilizer is absolutely terrific for mags running on co2. Now of course you can gut the AIR valve and buy an aftermarket reg for your mag which will most likely only decrease performance. I highly doubt it would be even slightly beneficial. The reg section really belongs under the autococker section and I think you may want to add a little footnote of some sort about using the Palmer Stab on mags.

This next part is just a composition of my thoughts and may be completely wrong or may not work out at all. I beg of forgiveness in advance because my stupidity may cloud my thinking:

I think you should give the pros and cons of each product with a grading scale between 1 and 10. Often beginners may be misled by all these positive reviews showing only one side. I do realize you did show pro's and cons for some upgrades but I think all these upgrades can have the pro's and cons listed. The scale should probably be graded based on performance: price. Beginners may just assume the most expensive one is best since they all have basically the same (positive) reviews except for the 32* products. For instance the barrels.....the DYE barrels are truly overpriced and CP and LAPCO easily compete with DYE.

That's about it. I am really glad someone finally made on of these threads. AO was seriously in need of one. Just PM me and I'll delete this whole post if you want. I'm not trying to steal the thunder out of this great thread. Thank you for reading:)

-Sean

X-Plosive
05-30-2002, 10:34 PM
someone slap me! I'm turning into Shartley:eek:

PaintballerX
05-30-2002, 11:32 PM
I agree with you in everything you said except for three things:

1.) DYE barrels are NOT inefficient...in my experience. I'd think that SP would be known as more of a "gas hog". Oh well..

2.) I don't know what Armson Barrels you have been seeing in action, but in my experience, Stealth and Pro-Series barrels (the ones I have the most experience with) are very quiet.

3.) I refer you to http://dyeprecision.com/main.html

Notice there is a Titanium Boomstick, BOOMSTICK, Stainless, and Ultralite. Where are you seeing this?

Anyways, I don't really mind you keeping it up there...it keeps me honest. :D Thanks for making me look like an idiot..I deserved it. :P

---Mike

X-Plosive
05-30-2002, 11:51 PM
Well I'll be dipped:eek: I made a little reading comprehension error:(, you listed them in a way which I assumed when you said stainless you meant SS boomstick. Since you listed the stainless and not the aluminum I assumed you were naming only boomsticks. You see what I'm saying? I mean they are all boomsticks or variations except for the Stainless so I made a mistake and assumed you meant SS boomstick. You will find that nearly everyone on the forums find dye barrels to be ineffecient. Go into tech and a common question will be why does my 68 3k only get 500 shots. The answer is almost always....because they are using a DYE barrel. All armson barrels are stereotypically loud. I own one. It sounds just like a LAPCO BigShot, which I also own. Now that I think of it, I also own an ultralite, and DYE Ironmen Boomstick, which I use to call an SS boomstick(never do that again). Dye barrels are gas hogs....maybe not as much as the AA or Tear Drop but they're right up there. I see why Shartley likes to debate so much. It's fun...

I will admit that your number 3 point did get me and I was wrong. I just don't know how you think DYE barrels aren't ineffecient and that Armson barrels are not loud. I wear ear plugs when I use mine:D I bought it because it was called the "Stealth"..little did I know it sounds like a hand cannon.

Tyril
05-31-2002, 05:44 AM
I have no idea what kind of Armson Stealth barrels you guys are using! I've got one on my backup m98, and that is the quietest barrel I have ever heard shot. Each ball makes a bit of a "whoosh" sound, nothing else. Now, Armson also puts out the Pro line of barrels, which keep the Stealth's rifling, but skimp out on porting. Those are the loud ones, not the Stealths.

-Mike

soilent green
05-31-2002, 07:21 AM
the origional armson had no porting and was very loud Dye is over priced and you missed the flatline in you tank part I love mine and as mentioned before you left out the stab.

PaintballerX
06-02-2002, 06:47 PM
Up.. :|