PDA

View Full Version : Need Help/Ideas with Running Tournament

MPC-Tim
05-31-2002, 07:39 AM
We are running our first tournament in a couple of weeks and we know the basics, but I would appreciate any advice or ideas that could make tournament the best it could be.

What was worked well at tournaments you have participated in?

What didn't work?

What really didn't work?

What would you like to see that you haven't before?

any other advice?

Thank you in advance,

the JoKeR
05-31-2002, 08:14 AM
One of the things I like about the tourneys at Paintball Dave's is that the refs on the field (team Stormfront, by the way) got in and did very good paintchecks with and without being asked to do so for their indoor and outdoor 3-man tourneys. My only complaint on a tourney was when one player called for a paintcheck on himself, we THOUGHT he was neutral and couldn't be advanced on, so he stopped firing. We were wrong, he got taken out. The rule wasn't completely clear. Post the rules ahead of time. ALL of them. This should lessen the chance of whining about them later. Also, I'm a big fan of ONLY the team captain arguing with the refs/management, and only to a certain point since the ref's call is normally final. The only time I (as NOT the captain) talk to the refs is when I call for paintchecks or ask them to move so I don't shoot them.

skipdogg
05-31-2002, 10:17 AM
I think time is a big issue.
Have the games run on schedule. Make sure teams know when they are playing...get them "on deck" while the previous game is going on. Also, make sure Air fills are quick. Waiting in long lines are not good.
Those are my personal peevs.
ref staffing levels is important too!

martlet1
05-31-2002, 10:35 AM
1. If you say your starting at 9am, have your team meeting at least 1 hour before to explain rules and work out your brackets. Then at 9am START.
2. Get at least 2 people running the score table. Have your head ref report the scores after each game, then have the players sign the sheets at the SCORE table not on the field.
3. Call out on a loudspeaker or bullhorn after each game letting the teams know who is on the field, whos on deck, and whos in the hole. If they aren't there when the game starts, they disqualify that game. DO NOT WAIT more than 2 minutes for teams to get on the field unless they have back to back games.
4. Put 2 chronos at your entrance, and if someone is hot, they only have 1 min to adjust thier gun and get in the arena. Put another chrono at the target range. NO ONE should be hot in the hole.
5. If the refs make a decision, stick to it, dont back down because of whining, ect. If a ref makes a mistake, fix it, or make your Head ref for each field fix it.

pito189
05-31-2002, 12:19 PM
I think all these ideas are good I just skimmed over them, but they are all intelligent.

1. Have more than one air fill line. It sucks like nobodys business waiting to get your air filled.
2. Get a schedule of games to the teams more than 2 seconds before their first game.
3. Give the refs a break occasionally :)
4. Just run a good clean tournament and everybody will love it, and HAVE FUN!

the JoKeR
05-31-2002, 01:33 PM
By the way Tim, I heard your commercial on 102.1 yesterday. Glad to hear the sport is getting advertised in the Milwaukee area now other than word of mouth. Interested in hearing how the air-time works out.

skipdogg
05-31-2002, 03:10 PM
Doh!!! Didnt hear the ad. Got a copy Tim?