PDA

View Full Version : Desert Fox vs. Automag

heath
06-01-2002, 11:42 AM
Which do you think is better. I have had both, i think both have their advantages, but i would lean towards the Desert Fox. Currently i have an Automag RT that is very upgraded, and a Desert Fox that is very upgraded. I like my Fox better. It isnt as fast as my RT, but it was faster than my classic 'mag. It is light, has a good trigger, and it seems to shoot staighter and breaks less paint ( 1 bust in 5 weekends of play). What do you all think?

einhander619
06-01-2002, 02:43 PM
ICD simply tried to copy the automag, inside and out. I had a fox a couple years ago, but it didn't have the ROF I was looking for. RT all the way. BTW, what mods do you have for your RT? The wya mine is set up right now, it would blow a Desert Fox into next week, and it doesn't chop.

heath
06-01-2002, 02:56 PM
My Desert Fox has the following:

*OTP Dream Series barrel (with inserts)
*Pro-team products micro guages (one on verticla adapter and one on reg.)
*Macro Line
*Eclipse Drop Forward
*Palmer's female stabilzer
*Palmer's ring brackett
*Blade trigger (custom milled my Ken at KP customs)
*Drilled internals
*APP grips

And my RT:

*Black minimag verticle feed body
*Retro Valve
*z valve (on/off)
*benchmark milled body rail
*Black coated nickel plated BOA barrel 7.5"
*Black J&J barrel 14"
*AGD longnose bolt (no blowback)
*modified auto-response trigger frame(modifed by G3PB, shoots once per pull instead of twice. has insanely short trigger)
*Double trigger
*Kapp Aluminum grips
*Benchmark on/off drop forward
*Cooper T de-gas valve
*Dye micro-guage
*lapco two hole verticle adapter
*Dye gas-thru foregrip
*macro lines

They are both great set ups. I never chop balls on either, but i will bust them sometimes on my RT, but not on the fox. But i have found that i like my 'Fox better. It is just my preference. Also the Fox is not copied off of the mag, it doesnt even have an on/off valve.

They are both blow forward however. I will get pics up soon.

drx975
06-01-2002, 03:21 PM
My friend has a Desert Fox and he is the only one that I have seen with that gun. I guess its kinda old because i never see it advertised anywhere, and the first + only time i saw it was when my friend showed me his. After looking at it and the insides, it looks as if some copying has been done by somebody, becuase the whole thing seriously looks very similar. The Desert Fox has a powertube with a brass screw-on top just like the Mag, a bolt setup very similar to a Mag, and a regulator like a Mag cept u cant unscrew it i think. I'm not saying ICD copied, or AGD copied (again, only to some extent), but one of them did. The trigger is the only difference, and (if ICD did the copying) ICD probably used a spring trigger setup in order to eliminate the shortstroke problem that we all know too well.

My friend and I both get the same ROF with our guns. However, he cannot get the rate of fire with my Minimag that I get. Same with me, I can't get the same ROF on his gun that he gets. I guess the only main difference that I can say I notice right now is the trigger, which isnt bad, just different.

einhander619
06-01-2002, 04:43 PM
I live about 10 miles from where Indian Creek Designs builds their guns, and I actually had one of the prototypes. I have talked to the gun's designer, and the gun they were aiming at, performance wise, was indeed the automag. I think the fox is a good gun, very reliable, it just got overshadowed by the whole electro trend, and hence, that's why we see bushmasters. However, the idea of an electro-fox is interesting. I wonder if it's valve can be taken to the same heights as AGD's? That would be a neat project if someone had enough spare parts lying around.

Cristobal
06-01-2002, 11:04 PM
There's a great Desert Fox page here (http://www.mindspring.com/~prcarter/icd/fox_main.html) that has a lot of good info on them, diagrams of how they work and whatnot. Overall quite similar to mags, but with a few intersting differences. What I find interesting is that in '98 the Desert Fox completely did away with the on/off valve when they expanded the dump chamber and dropped its pressure. The page also has similar info for ICD's 'CAT family, which use one of the most interesting blow-back arragements out there.