PDA

View Full Version : Computer Games

ThePatriot
06-01-2002, 11:17 PM
Anyone have some reccomenations for First Person shooters, for me to waste my summer with? I am thinking Quake 3 Arena, Jedi Knight 2, CS:Condition Zero, Unreal Tournament 2003, any other suggestions?

InfinatyBPS
06-01-2002, 11:43 PM
not realy a first person shooter but... GTA 3, it rules and will definatly waste alot of your time...

SlipknotX556
06-01-2002, 11:48 PM
Sean why get Jedi knight 2, its a star wars game. Lets get condition zero, it should be awesome, we rule at counter strike and then we rule condition zero.

FutureMagOwner
06-02-2002, 05:51 AM
get that free game that the army made(they havent sent it out yet though)
i try to avoid addicting games :D but i was up to 12:30 last playing mgs2

FeelTheRT
06-02-2002, 07:02 AM
CS CZ eh... i hear stuff about it... Does it still use the HL engine?

MrMag
06-02-2002, 11:44 AM
it is a single player version of cs.............think about it that way :)

SqueegeeKid
06-02-2002, 12:05 PM
Jedi Knight 2 is OK. Can't call home about it though.
Just acquired GTA3 for the PC the other day. Smokes the doors off the PS2 version. Best game i've ever played in my eyes. So much replay value.

Operation Flashpoint is a good choice. There's quite a few total conversions coming out and folks are always making missions and stuff for it.

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
06-02-2002, 12:47 PM
the new CS RPG doesn't look half-bad

ThePatriot
06-02-2002, 02:43 PM
Its not only an RPG, its multiplayer also, i dont play non online Compute games, unless they are insane and very good. I own GTA3 on ps2 but from what i hear its mad good on the PC also so i might try it.

slateman
06-02-2002, 03:16 PM
Patriot, my friend, you have just entered my wheelhouse. Let's get started, shall we?;)

1. Soldier of Fortune 2: Double Helix
In a word, gory. Definatly the best true FPS of the year. Real world weapons combine with the ability to detach limbs and heads from bodies, with great detail. It also has a new feature: The Random Mision Generator. BAsically you type in a word and set up the specifications the way you want (terrain,day/night/ difficulty, ect.) and the game creates a new map. It's actually pretty cool, keeps the game from getting old.

2. Max Payne
I LOVE THIS GAME. It's a 3rd person shooter that introduces "bullet time". Basically it slows down time allowing you to take on multiple enemies at once. This game is as close to the Matrix as you can get without copyright infringments. Although it has no multiplayer, it has a mod interface. You can download new weapons, skins, levels and more. Right now I'm playing a mod that has the Matrix Lobby, a Neo skin, and Kung Fu. It's great!!

3. Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Ever wanted to be a Jedi? More to the point, ever wish you had a lightsaber and force powers? This game is the closest you can get. It starts of as a FPS and, truth be told, it wouldn't be that great if it stayed that way. But after the third level you get your lightsaber and force powers. Things turn for the better. Just one more confirmation that slicing up Storm Troopers is fun. After you get the lightsaber JK2 is great.

4. Operation Flashpoint
The most realistic FPSI'vef ever seen, also one of (if not THE) toughest. You start off as a normal Ary infantryman in 1985 at the make-believe place called Everon. It is close to where the U.S.S.R. has troops and , of course!, they start trouble. You also get to play a tank commander, helocpter pilot, Secial Ops commando, and platoon leader. The great thing about this game is that you can commandeer just about any vehical you want. ANother intersting thing is that you can't take the normal FPS approach and go in guns blazing. It actaully requires a bit of strategy. Good game, It has an exspansion pack where you get to play the Soviet Side, and a prequel where you play a member of the Everon Resistance is due out this year.

5. Grand Theft Auto III
I don't think I need to say much about this one. It's an exact port from the PS2 version with control and graphics changes. But, be forewarned: You need a powerhouse of a system. I'm talking 1ghz, 256 RAM, 64 MB video card. There should be a patch out soon to help it run better, though.

6. Ghost Recon
Another great shooter from Mr. Clancy. You take on the role of the Ghosts, an elite special forces unit. You take on numerous missions throught Eastern Europe when a terrorist group tries to revive the old Soviet Regime.You can take control of one of five operators (AI takes the others), each one of four unique skills (sniper, assualt, support, and demo). Each skill has a unique weapon such as the M249 SAW or the M16 or a Barrent .50 caliber sniper rifle. Ghost Recon is another one shot/one kill FPS. THis makes it pretty hard becasue there is little room for error. And the multiplayer is fun, basically because allows you to replay any mission with human partners instead of cpomputer ones. It also has an exspansion pack.

7. Medal of Honor: Allied Assualt
A WWII FPS and a fantastic one at that. You play the role of
1Lt. Powell, and Army officer assigned at the beggining of the game to the OSS. YOu start of helping sabatoge the German war machine on the eve of D-Day. Then you get to take part in the D-Day landings at Omaha beach and the subsequent breakout of the hedgrows. It is rated "T" and becasue of this it has no blood at all. You would think that this takes away from the game, but it doesn't. One of the advantages to no blood is the way the bodies react to bullets hit them. The jerk back that particular part of the body, it looks fantastic. But the most impressive part of this game the sound. The Thompson submachine gun and Garand Rifle sounds are AMAZING. They sound real (that's comming from my grandfather, who was (well according to him "still is) a Marine in WWII). you can hear the individual bullets hitting the body of your enemy, with that sicj thud sound. And the Multiplayer is fun too, with elimination, team elimination, and toher games.

Games to look for:

Tom Clancy's Raven Shield (TBA)
Tom Clancy's Slpinter Cell (Fourth quarter of 2002)
No One Lives Forever 2 (Fourth quarter of 2002)
Star Wars Galexies (December)
Doom III (sometime next year)

That's all I can think of of the top of my head. Sorry if I got a little carried away. I hope this helps.

ThePatriot
06-02-2002, 03:44 PM
Thnx alot slateman, any of you heard about UT2003?? It is supposed to come out at the end of June of this year. I think its gonna be very good, however i havent been able to find a site with screenshots or anything like that.

Btw, this whole "gaming summer" is in commemoration of my new computer thats coming next week. 1.6 Ghz Athlon, 256 DDR Ram, Geforce 4 Ti440 :):):):) so i have decided to go massive gamer.

slateman
06-02-2002, 04:10 PM
Ask and you shall recieve:D

http://mediaviewer.ign.com/ignMediaPage.jsp?channel_id=59&object_id=17386&adtag=network=ign&site=pchubtype%3Dpartnerviewer%26pagetype%3Darticl e&page_title=Unreal%20Tournament%202003

I haven't played any of the Unreal games, but the're supposed to be fantastic. I don't know why I haven't gotten around to playing them yet:confused:

I'll probably wait until Unreal II comes out.

Nice PC;) I'm trying to get my GeForce 4 but I don't have the money yet. I may sell my mag, don't know yet.

If you have any questions about PC games feel free to PM me. I usually stay up to date on them.

P.S. you can only access 5 pics a day so choose wisely.

SqueegeeKid
06-02-2002, 04:32 PM
The new Duke Nukem is out too. Found out when i was renting Soldier Of Fortune 2. That game looked great. At least from the small video trailers i saw months ago.
I'm gonna check that one out as well.

ThePatriot
06-02-2002, 04:58 PM
Wow, just wow, Unreal 2003 is going to be insane....i can hardly wait, oh man it looks insane.

slateman
06-02-2002, 05:12 PM
Yea it does look impressive. Unreal II looks even better. It's gonna be da bomb!!!!!!!!!!

Jonneh
06-02-2002, 05:26 PM
DUKE NUKEM FOREVER and TEAM FORTRESS 2!!!

HAR HAR HAR!!1 I'm funny!

SlipknotX556
06-02-2002, 07:11 PM
When Patriots new computer comes, guess who gets his old one?

ME!!!!