guess who

-Jôker-
06-02-2002, 08:31 PM
ok a few hints maybe?

his intials are C.H
he was a Marine,Scout/Sniper
he fought in Vietnam
had over 300 kills
died in 1999 (he had multiple sclerosis)

that help??

personman
06-02-2002, 08:38 PM
OMG OMG OMG IS THAT THE.. THE...
Crocodile Hunter?

dansim
06-02-2002, 09:47 PM
steve irwin isnt dead, hmm is it mr rogers?

SuperOrangeTicTac
06-02-2002, 09:59 PM
Carlos Hathcock

Tactical Neural Implant
06-03-2002, 12:18 AM
Yep, I have to agree with SuperOrangeTicTac thats Gunny Hathcock.

MajorDamage
06-03-2002, 12:20 AM
The "Time to make the donuts" guy? :D

ENDO!

dansim
06-03-2002, 07:02 AM
who the hell is he? ive never heard of him

oldsoldier
06-03-2002, 10:47 AM
Easy!!! Carlos Hathcock. If you dont know who he is, read hi book "marine sniper; 93 confirmed kills". I met him during a change of command ceremony for Gen Colin Powell in 90, I think it was. He was in a wheelchair then, he had a nerve disease (dont remember if it was cerebral palsy, or something like that). Anyway, super nice guy, real quiet. I think he passed away though...guy knew more about ballistics than most people could forget!

Guess I shouldve read Jokers post....multiple sclerosis.

Miscue
06-03-2002, 08:04 PM
Quite the legendary sniper.

obsolete898
06-03-2002, 09:05 PM
The famous shot through the scope scene in "Saving Private Rian", yea he did that in real life to a VC sniper. He had one of the (if not the) highest bounty on his head. Charlie really wanted a piece of him. History channel did a show on snipers, he was a big part.

Curly
06-03-2002, 09:08 PM
all i have to say is http://www.loveliesbleeding.com/images/newletter/mr.t.jpg

-Jôker-
06-04-2002, 11:14 AM
im pretty sure it was 300,000 for him dead....and you guys got it its Carlos

ronron2112
06-04-2002, 03:18 PM
grr too bad i didnt see this earlier!! i knew it right fro mthe picture. wasnt he the guy that got a confirmed kill a VC ammo carrier on a bike at a mile with a .50?

TransMan
06-04-2002, 04:06 PM
correct me if im wrong but i thik he shot a VC at more than a mile away when he was bending down to get a drink of water and stood up right when the bullet got there hit him dead in the chest he wouldnt have been hit if he didnt stand up guees some peopel got all the luck huh

Mango
06-06-2002, 02:10 PM
the feather in the boonie is a dead giveaway. :) I knew who it was as soon as I looked at the picture. My dad was stationed at his base while in Vietnam. He's met him many times.

-Jôker-
06-07-2002, 12:36 PM
and i thought it would give yall a challenge! :D glad im not ther only one who knew who it was

manike
06-07-2002, 08:19 PM
The book about him makes stunning reading.

He was known as the 'white feather' and used to snype with a 50cal anti aircraft gun fitted with a scope at times!

Some of his shots and actions are legendary. Kind of a hero of mine when I grew up shooting airguns, where ballistics and aiming points are very important.

I used to spend a lot of time with a high powered air rifle as a kid, driving drawing pins at 50-60 metres (bloody good for an air rifle). I once used the ballistics of an air rifle pellet to cleanly dispatch a bunny that I couldn't even see :) I knew at the distance I was shooting that the pellet would go over the rut of mud in the way which was blocking my line of sight (I could see the top of it's ears just) and get to where I wanted it. A friend who was holding a lamp for me was stunned by the shot :) he says he saw the pellet arc through the air and over the rut to a perfectly clean shot. (you can see the back of pellets shining under the lamp when fired at night, it's almost like tracer).

Although paintball has now spoilt my trigger finger and shooting technique, I'm actually toying with the idea of getting a new air rifle... and maybe adding cocker pneumatics for quick recocking... :) possibly on a seperate button activation not the trigger pull... almost like the biathlon weapons... hmmhmm

manike

-Jôker-
06-07-2002, 10:12 PM
thats crazy manike... what type of pellet gun was this manike?

manike
06-10-2002, 06:11 PM
It was a 'Theoben Rapid 7'... with a few extra special 'manike' tweaks ;) I miss it and wish I had never sold it. Time to get another one and 'tune it up'.

manike

Mango
06-10-2002, 06:17 PM
wow thats incredible manike!! My dad has an amazing Walther air rifle. Gorgeous rifle. He uses it to practice for his high power rifle matches. I shoot it just for fun. :)

manike
06-10-2002, 06:24 PM
Back when I was younger and had time to waste :rolleyes: :D I used to spend hours practicing my shooting. I'd take different positions and think nothing of putting 500 shots down range in a single session.

I'd get annoyed if 5 shots didn't create a single hole. :)

Firearms are not legal (or at least easy to own) here so I could only ever really shoot an airweapon. Some air rifles deserve serious respect though. You know it wasn't that long ago that they rivalled firearms and were even used to hunt deer!

manike

RobAGD
06-10-2002, 09:29 PM
As i refall from the book the m2 50 cal shot was at 2500 yards or something insane like that. The VC happened to stand just where Gunny had sighted the gun in a few days before.

The book makes great reading, and the VC had a silly bounty on him.

I actually at some point made a windows back ground that featured him and several sniper rifles and what not. Lost it to a HD hickup :/

-Robert

mykroft
06-11-2002, 04:35 AM
World Record is 2463 Metres, set in Afganistan by a Corporal from the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, using a Barrett Mk82 .50BMG rifle.

Gunny Hathcock is a legend in that community, and one of the reasons the .50BMG is used as a sniper cartridge today.

manike
06-11-2002, 05:58 AM
That distance is just obscene! Wow.

EDIT: Oh and I remember talking to a friend in the forces and he was saying how a lot of soldiers were anticipating the gulf war because with the long open distances they were looking to see if they could break sniping records!

manike