PDA

View Full Version : spiked so high I shattered a hopper?!?!

RobP4P
06-03-2002, 11:01 AM
This is scary. I finally got back on the field after 4-5 months of a knee injury. My gun (Retro mag) had been sitting the the closet for all that time. I gassed the gun up and chrono'd it with wild velocity fluctuations, anything from 200-275. I didn't have much time to play that day so I decided to just deal with it. Chrono'd on the field at 220,260,250. I managed to completely flank someone and didn't want to light them up from close range so I aimed at their gun and let off 2-3 shots. I saw it break on his gun and hopper and he put his barrel plug in. 10 secs later a ref came up to me and asked me to come with him to the chrono again. I was kind of pissed because I was set to flank the entire team. When we got back to the chrono i saw the guy i had just marked out, and the ref pointed to his hopper, it had a paintball sized HOLE in it. Not a crack, not a dent, a cleanly punched through HOLE. I dont know that a spike from my gun was the only cause, but has anyone ever seen anything like this before? I was especially glad i decided to go for his gun and not the side of his head after i saw that. How fast would a shot have to go to put a hole in a hopper? Is it even possible that a random spike could have done this? I never chrono'd above 280 in all the chrono readings I did before or after that.

Also, can someone point me to a good place online where i can get info on how to disassemble the retro valve? I've watched the video for the AIR valve about 30 times :) but I dont have the video for the rt/retro valve.

Jonno06
06-03-2002, 11:18 AM
my gun did the EXACT same thing yesterday with my ReTro valve...I also watched the AIR valve tape 30 times,and dont have the RT one....

my gun was double feeding,short stroking,chopping,and also had a RESPONSE trigger at some moments....the bad thing is the response shot was over 300fps....

i cleaned my WHOLE gun/valve and all last night,and its fine now

Restola
06-03-2002, 11:25 AM
it might have been an older hopper maybe?

yeah clean your gun. and to fix little spikes above the field limit make sure you are chronying your RT valve correctly

speedballbanks
06-03-2002, 11:26 AM
thats odd in my retro valve the only tiem i cracked someone's hopper is when i hadn't played for a month and shot someones lid and broke it then when i chronoed in my gun was shooting 330 which i knew it was shooting well over the field limit of 280 but i was in a rush to play but when i chrono my gun in over the chrono i get -+2 3 at most so i think my gun is pretty efficient and that is with a flatline that hasn't had the level 2 upgrade yet.

speedballbanks
06-03-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Restola
it might have been an older hopper maybe?

yeah clean your gun. and to fix little spikes above the field limit make sure you are chronying your RT valve correctly

yeah remember shoot hold the trigger and then shoot fast another quick shot over the chrony. and yuo will acheive the correct rt chrony reading.

Jonno06
06-03-2002, 11:28 AM
how do you chrono a rt valve?

speedballbanks
06-03-2002, 11:32 AM
read my post right above your's.

Restola
06-03-2002, 11:35 AM
-fire a shot and hold down the trigger
-place gun over chrony, let go of trigger and fire another shot as fast as you can

its weird how many people DONT know that, even some really long time mag players i know never knew there was any difference.

speedballbanks
06-03-2002, 11:37 AM
restola explained it way better then me hehe and sometimes i see kids at my field who won't do it so they can shoot faster during a game.

Jonno06
06-03-2002, 11:40 AM
sorry,i was a little slow posting,but thanx alot for the info,thats probably why my gun has been so inconsistant

Strider
06-03-2002, 11:56 AM
Was it a revvy? I've seen a good share of them break like that. Probably faulty plastic...

RobP4P
06-03-2002, 12:40 PM
The hopper that broke was one of the rentals from the field, so im hoping that it was just a case of weak plastic, but it shocked me none the less!

Thordic
06-03-2002, 12:46 PM
I shot a hole right through Riotz's hopper once. I was around 15-20 feet away, and it put a fairly large (between a quarter and a half dollar) sized hole in his hopper. My gun wasn't shooting hot at all.

It happens.

Strider
06-03-2002, 01:33 PM
If it was a rental hopper, then there's no worry. We have a box of broken hoppers from our field. :p

Temo Vryce
06-03-2002, 02:41 PM
Strider we don't rent revys we rent VL200s. :)

When BE bought out VL they started making the VL200 out of a cheaper plastic. As Strider said we have a big box of hoppers with holes. I would say there's atleast 50 hoppers in there with holes and I'm talking both halves. We take the good half from one and add it to the good half of another. It's a combination of the cheap plastic and the Sun degrading the plastic over time. Most of the holes we have are from the rental spyders which are chronyed for 250 at the indoor field or 280 at the outdoor. RobP4P you said that you chonied on the field under 275. Unless you spiked up over 300 which I find hard to believe, because you would have to be running N2 for the retro, there's no way that you responable for the hole in the hopper. Plastic isn't steel, it doesn't last forever. Add that to the fact that it's a BE product and what you have is an accident waiting to happen. You just happened to be the poor guy that hit it in the right/wrong spot. By the way. Nice grouping. :)

RT_Luver
06-03-2002, 02:48 PM
woa...thats kewl, kinda scary

Creative Mayhem
06-03-2002, 05:45 PM
Hey man don't feel bad bout the hopper thing, the new BE revy's will do that even at indoor velocities(250 and less) Believe me, I saw a guy buy a brand new revy, take it out of the package and put it on his marker. He went out to play his first game with it, and with the first hit it shattered. The guy that shot him was about 30 ft away. I have an old VL2000(pre BE) hopper, and I have taken hits at ridiculous FPS at close distances, and not so much as a scratch. I think the hopper is more at fault than your marker spiking too high. Be makes the shell too thin and that just invites this kind of problem. Just my .02

RobP4P
06-03-2002, 06:10 PM
yeah, it was a clear VL200. I dont think VL made any clear hoppers pre-BE. Makes me glad I hung on to my oldschool VL-2000 loader. I think i take more hits in the hopper than anywhere else, and not a scratch (maybe just a sign that I need to get a warp...)

the worst part of this whole story is that the poor kid had a full hopper of paint, or should i say a hopper full of paint? :)

06-03-2002, 07:48 PM
about the same thing happend to a friend of mine... he didnt have a hole or fracture in his hopper but had a hopper full of paint plus a broken elbow... he was pretty mad, i thought it was funny