PDA

View Full Version : annodizing with airbrushing?

z-grip
06-05-2002, 04:08 PM
i am getting my gun anoed, but i want a couple of things airbrushed on it. i know as soon as i get the finished product, and take it to the feild it will get scratched right off. is the come kind of clear coat i guess or something like that i can have done? thanks for the help

Bartleby
06-05-2002, 04:59 PM
yes you can get a clear coat of paint applied after your airbrush it. no matter what you do the scratching of the paint is inevitable, so don't count on it lasting forever.

HoppysMag
06-05-2002, 05:08 PM
just to make sure you know... if you have a mag, you cant get it annod. Annodizing (SP?) cant be done on SS. and a mag body is SS. but if u have a alluminum gun, its ok.

Xzion
06-05-2002, 05:19 PM
You can anodize the body rail of a mag mind you, seeing as its aluminum, and any other aluminum parts you have or put on. IE. Sight rails, foregrips drops etc.

if you wish to color your mainbody, you can however have it powdercoated. do a search for powdercoating and redrider87 on the forum.

p8ntballa
06-05-2002, 06:00 PM
I think he has a micro mag. According to his sig.. so he can get it annoed.

When you anno something it is annoed and then dyed for the color.

Dunno about airbrushing tho. Maybe a clear powdercoat over that or somethin:confused:

Xzion
06-05-2002, 06:35 PM
If hes got a micromag, then the body should be aluminum, therefore it can be anodized. when push comes to shove, Aluminum is the only metal I know of that can be anodized.

You can however have custom graphics anodized onto aluminum, though im sure its rather pricey, and im not sure how detailed it can be.

Rick927
06-05-2002, 07:48 PM
If your looking for a scratch resistant coating to go over annodizing or powdercoating, Brownell's has a bake on clear epoxy finish that is tougher than nails. It goes on like spray paint, then you bake in your oven for 30 min. at 300 deg., no microwaves and no plastic, look for baking lacquer at www.brownells.com

z-grip
06-05-2002, 08:43 PM
thanks for the help guys, and i do indeed have a micro mag, that is all aluminum. i appreciate it

rudy
06-05-2002, 09:06 PM
you can get what you want anodized on the gun but im sure it will cost you quite a bit and you have to find the person who can do it a guy worked for pk that did some good work i dunno if he still works there though.

billmi
06-06-2002, 08:35 AM
You can get anodizing dyes airbrushed on. It has to be done during the anodizing process. It's just as durable as any other ano, but it is very tricky, and thus very expensive. Piers who used to work at PK is the best at this.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

Sledgehammer
06-06-2002, 09:32 AM
BTW, if I'm not mistaken aluminum is not the only metal that can be annoed, titanium can be annoed too :)

S14-Racer
06-06-2002, 11:53 AM
Sledge you are correct. I was going to post the same thing :)