PDA

View Full Version : Anodizing

'Mag
06-09-2002, 12:21 PM
I just got a Hyperframe, and I'm extremely happy with it. The thing just rips, it's sooo easy to get it going at 13bps. There's only one problem, if you look in my signature, you can see my whole gun is blue, and as you probably know the Hyperframe is black. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place where I could get a about 3 pieces anodized for a good price with a quick turn-around. Any help would be great.

Thanks

FordPrefect
06-09-2002, 09:20 PM
Is the Hyperframe aluminium? I thought that it was plastic.

Bartleby
06-09-2002, 09:43 PM
actually, you could do it at home. go to warpig and try searching for home annodizing. i don't know of anyone that's actually done this, but hey! it's cheap and it's possible...

'Mag
06-09-2002, 10:24 PM
Hyperframe is all aluminum. No crappy plastic here. I have kinda looked throug the thing on Warpig, but I don't really like the possibility of electrocuting myself. I just want a cheap and easy way to ano a couple of parts blue.

Bartleby
06-09-2002, 10:34 PM
yeah that was my fear as well...lol :D

anyways, here are two places i found:
http://www.pkselective.com/
http://www.professionalpaintball.com/anodize.html

pkselective is refered to quite a bit by a few people on ao so i assume they do a decent job. i don't know about professionalpaintball though...good luck to you :D

FactsOfLife
06-09-2002, 10:52 PM
I can tell you from personal experience that Ethan at ProPaintball does some nice anno.... My cousins freeflow is blue/black splashed and is pretty...

Prezents
06-10-2002, 06:52 AM
I have a had some parts nickle plated by PK and I like the work. did a good job.

billmi
06-10-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by 'Mag
I have kinda looked throug the thing on Warpig, but I don't really like the possibility of electrocuting myself. I just want a cheap and easy way to ano a couple of parts blue.

Cheap and easy does not at all describe a good, or even decent anodizing job.

I would realy ba cautous about ano or plating that frame. The fit of the frame rail and body is pretty critical on a 'mag - even moreso with the Hyperframe. When you're talking about stripping off the anodizing that's there (removing material) polishing and preping the metal (removing more material) and then anodizing (adding material) - unless it's done to very exacting tolerances you could wind up with problems. It's best to contact Centerflag and discuss it with them to get guidance before proceeding.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

'Mag
06-10-2002, 09:26 PM
I did consider that, so I am going to try and get it done through Docs Machine. I think he is knowledgeable enough about all things paintball to make sure it is made to fit.

paintbattler
06-10-2002, 10:03 PM
take it to gusdadog..he's good at it

Sledgehammer
06-11-2002, 12:04 PM
billmi:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know anodizing does not involve adding material...
At least not in any amounts that could be measured, the dye is rather embedded into the surface of the material you anodize.

billmi
06-11-2002, 07:27 PM
Sledgehammer,

Anodizing literally "grows" a layer of aluminum oxide on top of the aluminum being anodized. That's what the dye gets absorbed into. It is a VERY thin layer, but it is adding material, and I've seen entire batches of products that fit OK before going to ano, the ano house, and didn't after coming back.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills