PDA

View Full Version : o-rings

Schnitzel
06-10-2002, 12:48 AM
just had a thought while lying in bed(isn't that were your ideas come from Tom?), anyways, i know that the o-rings on the barrel only serve for friction...why not forget them alltogether? i occasionally have problems with them, and sometimes they get broken. why not use a bead of silicon or something? maybe that wouldn't stay on as long, but perhaps some sort of durable material that bonds to various metals moderately well?

if this doesn't qualify for "deep blue" standards, go ahead and move it.

Schnitzel
06-12-2002, 09:12 AM
nobody has anything to say?

Vegeta
06-12-2002, 04:19 PM
The o-rings are there not just to reduce friction, but also to seal the barrel when the bolt moves forward, this wa less air escapes causing ball bobble up the feed tube.

Schnitzel
06-12-2002, 04:52 PM
actually, the manual says: "The o-rings on the barrel serve to give the barrel a friction fit;they do not seal air pressure."

sorry to undermine you, but that's what it says;)

StuDawggie
06-26-2002, 07:53 AM
You're also forgetting one thing here. The O-rings also hold the nubbin in place as well. If you wereto put say a ead of silicone there, you wouldn't be able to replace the nubbin, and should something happen to the nubbing you would have to replace the barrel not just the $1 (if it even cost that much) part.
Just an idea with that I thought should be mentioned.

nerobro
06-26-2002, 11:46 AM
well the o-rings also take up the slack on the barrel. the slack in there provides a lot of good things for the gun... including easy removal and insertion of the barrel. If you want to ditch o-rings... the extreme is coming ;-)

FreshmanBob
06-26-2002, 03:26 PM
or get a micromag like me :cool:
silicon on the barrel? wouldnt that prevent you from removing it? What would happen if you needed to clean the barrel or change to a different one?