PDA

View Full Version : MiniMag and Boomstick barrel!!!!!!!1

NeroWolfe
06-11-2002, 09:47 PM
Help,

I recently purchased an used Minimag! It's in great shape, and works well. However, I just purchased a Dye Boomstick, and after about 500 shots I noticed an obvious "metal on metal" noise. I removed the barrel to find that the bolt is hitting the back of the barrel. A friend said that I have the original Minimag/Automag bolt, and need to replace it to cure the problem. My question is why doesn't this occur with the original barrel? Has anyone experienced this? is there another problem with the marker?

-Stock Minimag (approximately 6 years old)
-3000psi 68 ci tank
-14" Dye Boomstick
-Espansion chamber

Any help will be appreciated!
thanks,
Nero

mykroft
06-11-2002, 09:55 PM
The stock barrel is larger bore than a Boomy.

Unless there is obvious wear to either the barrel or the bolt, don't worry about it.

I can generally tell what kind of barrel someone is using on a mag just by the sound signature of the bolt cycling

a_malfunction
06-11-2002, 10:31 PM
Dye Barrels always have a pinging sound, on mags at least.

boggerman
06-12-2002, 02:19 AM
My boomy pinged until I got a superbolt, very little ping now.

S14-Racer
06-12-2002, 09:47 AM
I just got a used retro mag with a 14" AA and noticed wear on the inside of the left-side of the barrel. It looks and feels exactly like what would happen if the bolt was hittng the inside of the barrel. Its not much, and is not making a noise I guess it just needed the mag to wear it into place :)

As long as the bolt or barrel, like previously said, is not getting torn up (deep scratches , dings, or chips) I wouldnt worry about it either. The one I have wore down mabey one-hundredths of an inch or so, in that spot.

Krazy Ivan
06-12-2002, 09:52 AM
I have the exact same thing. A mini with a boomstick. I have an old school boomstick though, but for that doesn't matter for this. I actually hear the same exact thing too, it's just because of the tighter bore. I don't see any dings or scratches in my barrel/bolt so I just let it be. If you are, you might try replacing the O-rings to get a tighter fit, if it's got movement.

Army
06-12-2002, 10:49 AM
Nice Drop forward BTW! I'm a sucker for flames.

Geez, that didn't sound good....

Panzerr
06-12-2002, 06:45 PM
Yeah, that's a crazy looking drop? Custom made?

NeroWolfe
06-13-2002, 01:44 AM
I really appreciate all you guys help! Glad to see so many people willing to give advice/testimony!

I needed a drop forward fast, and we have no paintball stores here, so I whiipped it out using 1" x 2" aluminium box. 5 min on a band saw, 15 min w/ my dremmel and poof! I've got a drop! I need to round some of the flame tips, and polish it now!