PDA

View Full Version : Porting...

CenterFire
06-12-2002, 10:44 AM
Is it me or is over-porting of barrels becoming rampant? I've seen numerous new barrels with about 4" of unported length... *sigh* Am I the only one who is bothered by this trend?

Maybe it's because Dye is so popular and the other companies saw Dye's porting style and copied it? I don't know. Maybe you gyus have better explanations. ;)

Phsycopath
06-12-2002, 11:11 AM
I am not bothered simply because Dye is a good brand and in my opinion porting doesnt do anything.Of course i may be wrong and i am no paintball expert but all porting does in mty opinion is maybe slow the ball down a little and make urgun quieter

CenterFire
06-12-2002, 11:17 AM
Well, yes it does make it quieter, but porting quiets shooting by releasing gas. If gas is released before the ball reaches full acceleration, the result is inefficiency. (And I don't consider 4-6" of unported barrel length enough for a ball to reach full acceleration). Thus over-ported barrels require more gas to get a paintball to 280-300 FPS.

Phsycopath
06-12-2002, 11:20 AM
OK so i was wrong but still maybe Dye and 32 degrees and all those other companies are just stupid

Ityl
06-12-2002, 11:25 AM
my favorite barrel is this one I got for $8 from a closeout at CO Paintball. I forgot the name but it has straight grooves running down the barrel and has eye shapes for a muzzle brake. When I first got it the balls hooked like crazy. So I put it on a lathe and cut the muzzle brake off. It shot great. It's about 11 inches long of solid barrel. It gets great efficiency, I have to turn the velocity way down to get it below 300 from using a normal barrel. It isn't loud either, I think because it's long enough. DOWN WITH PORTIING! hehe

RT_Luver
06-12-2002, 11:25 AM
they do over port there barrels...and its kinda anoying

CenterFire
06-12-2002, 11:27 AM
No offense is meant to Dye :) A lot of their products are quite good, I'm just not a fan of their barrels. Don't take this as a huge Dye-hating thread, its just that they're the most popular brand in paintball right now if you ask me and what money-seeking company wouldn't want to be like them? (I love you AGD!) Thus, my reason for this trend revolves around Dye. But Dye's barrels are definitely not the most over-ported barrels I've seen out there.

shartley
06-12-2002, 11:29 AM
They are not stupid, they are making what is selling. This may NOT be the best thing for their customers, but it is what they (the customers) seem to want. How does the saying go? A fool and their money……

There are plenty of barrels that don’t have porting in the crucial acceleration zone, so let the fools get a fully (or mostly) ported barrel. I will stick to limited porting past the acceleration zone. I have yet to hear a paintball marker that sounded like a cannon, so the little extra quietness that MAY be created by excessive porting is not important to me.

How silly would it be to put a muffler on your car that reduced the noise it made, but it also reduced your gas mileage at the same time? Hmmmm

And we know all that extra porting does not increase accuracy… but it looks COOL, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

FordPrefect
06-12-2002, 11:59 AM
The Model 98 stock barrel has 4 inches unported, and it is only an 8 inch barrel!

cphilip
06-12-2002, 12:59 PM
Sounds like everyone realy wants a Stock AGD barrel after all! But wait! No that can't be! Everyone knows a stock barrel is no good!!! Right????

Grumble grumble grumble.....

:rolleyes:
:D

HoppysMag
06-12-2002, 01:04 PM
im bothered by it too
id like aproximitly 2inches of porting AT THE MOST.

krafty
06-12-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
Sounds like everyone realy wants a Stock AGD barrel after all! But wait! No that can't be! Everyone knows a stock barrel is no good!!! Right????

Grumble grumble grumble.....

:rolleyes:
:D

Heh... I was never a fan of the original crown point barrel, but the RT Pro stock barrel is one of the nicest I've ever shot.

Glenn Palmer adds length to any barrel a customer wants ported. (Typhoons are usually 12" barrels, but they're 13" if the customer wants porting). He flat out refuses to port Nasty barrels because they'd become so inefficient they'd be worthless.

Wat
06-12-2002, 03:29 PM
Easy fix, go out and buy a lapco barrel. Not only do they have minimal distance of porting they are also cheap. For $110 you can get a big shot and an autospirit and that should cover 90% of the paint out there.

Creative Mayhem
06-12-2002, 04:31 PM
All Ican say is buy a CP. They have very little porting and the keep the ball as straight as an arrow. I've had mine for a while, and it's quiet, and very efficient.

CenterFire
06-13-2002, 10:29 AM
Woo, glad to see I'm not the only one disturbed. But Palmer wants at least 12" unported? I don't know much about Palmer guns, but unless they're really "low pressure" or something 12" is more than enough =]

MrShutter
06-13-2002, 10:44 AM
Smart Parts also over-ports their barrels.

Pand0ra
06-13-2002, 11:05 AM
8-10 inchs is the optimum for the unported lenght.

Have a look here: http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8958&highlight=porting
Very interesting.

@++

tremis
06-13-2002, 01:22 PM
When DYE first started making barrels the only had the muzzle brake. I remember seeing a number of both stainless and aluminum ones with just the porting in the muzzle brake. But at that time Smart Parts was king and they obviously have a mile of porting I think DYE went that route so their barrel would be just as quiet.
Personally, I am really liking my J&J ceramic, 14 inches and 4 inches of porting. Thats whats on my dark angel, My mag still has an SP AA on it. It isn't very efficient, but I rarely use it and the splash anno matches the rest of the gun.

Tremis

Temo Vryce
06-13-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by shartley
I have yet to hear a paintball marker that sounded like a cannon, so the little extra quietness that MAY be created by excessive porting is not important to me.

Ok I have to get together with the guys and make a sound file of the lizard blaster. That thing sounds like a cannon. The owners of the indoor field we play at won't let us use it because the players can't hear the refs. :D What do ya say Strider think we can get a WAV file of it in action?

shartley
06-13-2002, 02:08 PM
LOL Yes, I would like to hear that one. Of course indoor fields have a different effect on noise levels. ;) But yes…. See if you can get a recording of that one. :D

Oh, and see if you can get a Mag with it for comparison… all by itself really doesn’t do much good.

Strider
06-13-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by shartley
LOL Yes, I would like to hear that one. Of course indoor fields have a different effect on noise levels. ;) But yes?. See if you can get a recording of that one. :D

Hehe, it's LOUD. Even outdoors you can hear a tremendous difference... :D

Oh, and see if you can get a Mag with it for comparison? all by itself really doesn?t do much good.

I'll see about it... I'll do a recording with all my markers..

Any advice for recording?