PDA

View Full Version : How do you NOT get hit off the break?

greencocker
06-12-2002, 01:19 PM
I was wondering if anybody did anything to prevent themselves from getting hit off the break. Our team has a little trouble with that. Any advice would be very nice. Thanks.

TheBigRaguPB4L
06-12-2002, 01:21 PM
By getting to your bunker before you get shot.

Cypres0099
06-12-2002, 01:27 PM
Run fast and crouch is all I do and I rarely get hit while running. I guess that has a lot to do with my teamates too.

cphilip
06-12-2002, 01:31 PM
Stutter step and keep going... make em try and swing back to you and then try and keep up. Or beat tem across the lane before they get going if yor real fast.

Most back players are shooting an open lane they know you are gonna cross. Good ones are anyway.

TheBigRaguPB4L
06-12-2002, 01:45 PM
Now for a serious post. Know the shooting lanes. Really important that you walk the fields and know where they're going to shoot. It's not always good to run straight to a bunker off the break. If you know they have nice shooting lanes, don't go off the break. Have some front guys key with your back guys. When they hit their bunkers then your front/mid guys break out. Make sure that the back guys shift from keying to shooting the opposing teams back guys. This should keep them in long enough to get your guys to your bunkers. Obviously this won't work everytime, but you gotta be able to judge where to go and when on certain fields.

Another thing when running is make sure your guys aren't taking their time. Always slide into a bunker. Most of my guys walk into their bunkers. I yell at them all the time for it. If they run into their bunkers, they have to slow down before they get in there so they don't over run it. This leads to the increased possibility of getting shot. Another thing is how they run. I have a front player that has a good amount of speed, but he always runs straight up. He stands straight up and runs to whatever bunker he goes to. He's the one that likes to hit the 50's too. I yell at him all the time when i see him running straight up.

Other than that, just get to the bunkers. Make sure your back players are laying down some paint. Run breakout drills as often as you can if they just can't seem to get there. Just keep practicing till they get the hang of it. That's about it.

EDIT: One last thing, in response to uncle Phil's suggestion. Don't stutter step!!!!! Any decent back player can rip you apart when you stutter step. It took me no more than a month to get the hang of front players stutter stepping. Don't get me wrong, if you find it works, use it. It just never worked for me and pretty much my whole team.

epterry
06-12-2002, 02:53 PM
I stay low. But thats not hard because Im 4ft 10in. And watch those shooting lanes :D Also where do you play?

FutureMagOwner
06-12-2002, 03:06 PM
i owuldnt think stutter stepping would work unless they are over leading their shots anyway because if you slow down a bit wouldnt the balls that are still in the air go right where you shouldnt have been a second later after you run?(yes i realize this makes no sense at all)

xmetal2001
06-12-2002, 03:09 PM
It seems the faster i run the more i get hit:confused:

So i usually just take my time and shoot back while jogging.

Johnny Bravo
06-12-2002, 03:14 PM
Try exposing the softest parts of your body to get more bouncers. For example, hold your hand in front of your mask (make sure it doesn't look like you are calling yourself hit). Also, try holding your gun close to whichever hip that ISNT facing the other side. Chances are you wont get any bouncers off gun hits.

And just RUN RUN RUN.

Dont even bother having your guys who are trying to run in the front bunkers shoot off the break, they wont hit anything and they will most likely get shot.

cphilip
06-12-2002, 03:20 PM
Nope for some reason slower ( and stutter steppig to slow you) works more times than not...

dmonahan
06-12-2002, 03:28 PM
Use the bunkers as cover, stay low and if you can see the other team from the flag station don't telegraph where your going. I'm a back player and I've picked more players off by just watching them set up before the break. :p

J
06-12-2002, 04:07 PM
I can't say I have a problem with that, all I do is run. Also make sure some people are shooting back. I mean if everyone on your team is running, that leaves more time for the other team to shoot at you. Oh and luck, make sure you bring that on to the field.

Mango
06-12-2002, 04:12 PM
Do the SUPERMAN!! And pay attention to thier shooting lanes like BigRagu said. When you get to your bunker you should have either A.) Slide there, B.) dove there, C.)any combination of them.

Miscue
06-12-2002, 04:17 PM
Run. If that don't work, run faster. :)

I run routinely, my motivation being to become a better front player by getting to my bunker faster... and being able to move around quicker in general. Working on my legs to increase power... sometimes this is the kinda stuff ya gotta do if you're serious about improving your game.

FatMan
06-12-2002, 04:24 PM
Ragu is right on about the shooting lanes. One thing to consider is the path you are taking. Sometimes a longer path keeps you out of the shooting lanes. Sometimes, running to an intermediate bunker, waiting 1 or 2 seconds, and then completing the run will do the trick - they set up to sweet spot, stop after a few seconds, then you must your move up to the front bunker.

You can't do the same trick over and over again - so you have to learn to mix it up. Walking the field nd knowing the lanes is the first key.

FatMan

PaintballSucka
06-12-2002, 05:07 PM
WATCHING THE MOVIE

" THE MATRIX"

"and you won't have to dodge bullets (or paint)"

MrAirgunRT
06-12-2002, 05:07 PM
I play front, and almost never shoot off the break. Like 50 other people have said know the lanes. But one of the most vulnerable times is right when you are getting in your bunker. So sliding in is good.

marley618
06-12-2002, 05:27 PM
Run fast, slide, and tell your back guys to lay down some paint. It works great.

spacemanspiff
06-12-2002, 05:45 PM
Yeah man ya gotta dive/slide in there. Even if you come up alittle short you can crawl and you'll still be able to make it. I love the front you need to run all out, know where your going and I try to keep an eye on incoming paint if possible so I can change course if need be. I also try to keep a bunker in between me and the other teams back guys that way they can't see me till I dart around it to head into my spot. I just try to stay tight to the bunkers as I run by them and haul arse.

Panzerr
06-12-2002, 06:38 PM
Sometimes you can start sliding a good 10-20 feet before you get to your bunker. It depends on the field and the angles. Keep it in mind. It can shorten up your run a lot.

RT_Luver
06-12-2002, 10:33 PM
run REALLY REALLY fast to the bunker closest to you and move up really quik b4 anyone has time to notice you. I always figure that at first...ppl are duking in and out enuf so that you can get up close pretty fast. i dont know about anyone else...but its always worked for me. and everytime we play capture the flag, i (not to brag) ALWAYS have the flag within the first 30 seconds of the game. I can't leave that area anytime soon till wanna my teammates come and cover fire for me....but I got the flag;)

RT_Luver
06-12-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by TheBigRaguPB4L

Another thing when running is make sure your guys aren't taking their time. Always slide into a bunker. Most of my guys walk into their bunkers. I yell at them all the time for it. If they run into their bunkers, they have to slow down before they get in there so they don't over run it.

I got a FUNNY story on this. one time I was under ALOTA fire and I was running my hardest to get to a bunker I needed to get this guy out, and it was rainin and the ground was slippery and I tried to stop, and I slid right into the bunker, hit it, basically broke it, it made a HUGE bangin noise and I fell down. there is a good side to this...i didn't get out:D

BTAutoMag
06-12-2002, 11:14 PM
duck and run fast thats about all i do. people are suprised how fast i can run when im carrying my beast. im not afraid of getting hit and thats another thing that keeps me safe. i take the biggest risk and for some reason i never get hit off the break.

Ityl
06-13-2002, 10:38 AM
don't run directly to the bunker. Run to 15-20 feet behind it then duck and come up to it. I never made a straight run to a bunker when playing front, it always had a curve at the end to use the bunker to block. I never even filled my hopper up when starting a game, I waited till I got to the bunker. I did some weird stuff, but it worked.

CRiZO
06-13-2002, 10:50 AM
my god dude, I wish I was your height. Being 6 foot sucks monkey balls. You must be a biotch to hit eh?

E==Mag MAN
06-13-2002, 03:38 PM
I play front and i rarly get hit off the break i hit the 50 everytime almost. First off i run with a little curve. It helps me slide better i think. But i use bunkers as little sheilds as i run. So basically use the shooting lanes to your advantage by running just outside them then curve right in and slide. thats what i do. if this makes sense to u lol. if u havnt noticed i suck at english plus i dont use punctuation to much lol

FrAuStY
06-13-2002, 04:46 PM
How about practicing dodging shots at 20 feet? My brother and I did this for about an hour a piece, and believe now when I break, its kinda like the matrix... I can see the paint and dodge it.. either speeding up, slowingdown, stopping at a bunker for a short period to throw off their back mans lead, and sliding defintaly helps. Using all of these techniques including having an arc'd path to my bunker has helped keep me from being elim'd on the break.

paintbattler
06-13-2002, 05:39 PM
what i do is before the game is played i look for a place where the starting bunker cant see me, (which is the most likely place to get hit from) and make my move to a bunker farely far away from the starting bunk

rolo2169
06-14-2002, 06:30 PM
Remember It's a TEAM sport. The back players have to give you support and you have to watch the shooting lanes.