PDA

View Full Version : Spin on Paintballs ?Help?

obsolete898
06-12-2002, 11:15 PM
From Tom's Tech Tips

The problem is the liquid fill, when you rotate the shell, the liquid tends to stay where it is. The best example of this is a glass of water with ice floating in it, when you rotate the glass the ice stays in the same place (you have all seen it). So if you can grab the ball hard enough to go from 0 to about 10,000 RPM's in 5 thousands of a second (remember TechTip #1?) Yes the shell is spinning but the fill is not. When the ball leaves the barrel the viscosity of the fill slows the shell down but the fill's rotation is speeding up from the shell too, so you get an almost instant reduction of the RPM's out of the barrel. The balls rotation does not come to a complete stop because the shell does impart some spin to the fill.

I belive what Tom says but I am confused on one thing.

That means that flatline barrels and Z-Bodies should have no effect on the trajectory of the ball. I have shot a flatline and there is a definate effect on the ball (wether or not it goes further or not I did not test).

Also when a disscusion about range comes up people always say "excluding flatlines and Z-Bodies" or "spin inducing devices". So people basically are agreeing that they do have an effect.

So either I'm missing something(which is probally the case) or spin does have an effect on paint balls. Either way could someone help clear this up for me.

Thanx I apperciate all the help that will follow. :D

AGD
06-12-2002, 11:55 PM
No argument that spin does have an effect. Spin below a certain level does not have an effect. What don't you understand?

AGD

magman007
06-13-2002, 12:08 AM
tom, to clarify for my self, that article was in relation to spinning as in rifling right? like how the armson barrels really do nothing, allong with spiral proting?

mykroft
06-13-2002, 12:15 AM
Rifling doesn't do anything, backspin inducing devices do.

Bartleby
06-13-2002, 12:32 AM
listen to magman. the difference between the flatline and tom's article about rifleing is that the flatline applies a heavy backspin, flattening the tragectory. tom was talking about rifling a barrel or applying a spiral spin on the ball.

obsolete898
06-13-2002, 12:55 AM
So basically backspin devises produce enough spin to effect tragectory, but rifling does not produce enough spin to affect accuracy.

Kaiser Bob
06-13-2002, 01:04 AM
Does that mean that paintballs with an especially thick fill will be more vulnerable to spin produced from a barrel or what have you?

Bartleby
06-13-2002, 09:28 AM
Kaiser, yes thicker fill will make a difference, but not enough. The fill is still a liquid and when it's being rotated from a standstill to 30,000 rpms in all of 12 inches it really won't make a difference.

Temo Vryce
06-13-2002, 02:54 PM
Ok, let me get this straight.

The spin on a ball created by a Flatline or Z-body works, but the spin created by a rifled barrel like the Armason series doesn't work. Someone want to explain to me why this statement is true, because to me it sounds like a bunch of crap.

How many of you have actually used a rifled barrel? Or are you all just taking Tom's word that it doesn't work? I have used one and so have a lot of the guys I play paintball with. You know what we have found out about rifled barrels?

Simple, they do work.

Originally posted by AGD in Spinning Paintballs, Tech Tip #3
In order to test this properly we actually developed a gun that spun the barrel, with the ball in it, up to 30,000 RPM's and then shot the ball out.

In this way we knew the ball and the fill were completely up to speed when it left the barrel. We had visions of a spinning barrel paintgun that would make that high speed turbo wine! Unfortunately this didn't improve the accuracy because the ball is still too light.

As a final test we developed a barrel that had three razor edged knife blades running down the length of the bore. Using our plastic paintballs they wedged in the blades perfectly and we spun up the barrel and fired more test rounds. Because the knives would cut the ball we could examine them after the fact to see if they were rotating in the barrel etc. Again unfortunately we saw no improvement in accuracy and gave up.

Now show me where in that Tom says that the rifling doesn't work. Everyone has been miss reading what Tom said. No Improvment doesn't mean that they don't work.

Personally if was given the option between using a Freak system or using an Armason barrel. I would go for the Armason everytime.

FutureMagOwner
06-13-2002, 03:23 PM
its armson just to let you know

FordPrefect
06-13-2002, 03:27 PM
No improvment means that it isn't any better than a regular barrel; hence it doesn't do what it should: give you better accuracy.

Paintballs are to light to be able to stable themselfs in flight. That is what Tom meant when he said: "Unfortunately this didn't improve the accuracy because the ball is still too light."

A paintball needs more mass.

FordPrefect
06-13-2002, 03:34 PM
Oh, I only answered one question. Someone asked why the Flatline and Z-Body work and rilfing doesn't. The Flatline isn't really stablizing the ball, like rifling should. It is just spinning it enough to get it going further.

Patron God of Pirates
06-13-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Temo Vryce
Ok, let me get this straight.

The spin on a ball created by a Flatline or Z-body works, but the spin created by a rifled barrel like the Armason series doesn't work. Someone want to explain to me why this statement is true, because to me it sounds like a bunch of crap.

Rifling and backspin are two different issues.

A ball spun with a backspin generating device like the Flatline or Z-Body (which increase range, not accuracy) redirects the vacuum behind the ball to help lift it and keep it flat.

A ball spun by a rifled barrel (spiral, not back spin) evens out the surface inequities of the ball, thus reducing the chance of it behaving like a knuckle ball.

I agree with you that they seem to work. I had already read Toms article the first time I used one and was very surprised that there did seem to be a decrease in ball hookage.