PDA

View Full Version : Trading online kinda sucks.

Blazingace
06-15-2002, 07:24 PM
Hello,

I am asking you all about your online trading/buying experiences. I have had many good trades with the likes of Rouge Factor, Frausty and others. I have also had some very expensive failures. I tried to buy a Retro valve from someone on the forums (the names are withheld to keep from sounding like I'm flaming someone). I sent the money right away. The seller even lives in Jersey, like me. I waited awhile to be fair. I then called them on the phone. He said that he sent it through his mother's work and they were backed up. Cool I thought, I'll wait. So I call him later. He said it should have gone out. Cool I thought, should be here early next week. Nothing, call like 3 more times. He says that if it isn't there that he would refund my money. Wait even longer. Nothing. Now he won't return my calls and I can't get ahold of him. I think he never sent the Retro in the first place. I think that I will try to talk to his parents. I think I can get ahold of them. Oh by the way 3 months have gone by.

Next, I try to trade my back up Minimag on the forum. I wanted a stock Cocker to mess around with. I got some one interested who would trade me a really nice 99 cocker with some upgrades. I think that this is great. We write back and forth with PMs. I finally catch up with him on AIM. He grills me about a tank I was thinking of selling and them blows me off. I thought we had a deal and he was just screwing around. Thats cool. Another guy writes me and he sounds really interested. We chat for about an hour on AIM and I give him the full run down on 'Mags and how they work. He sounds really excited about the trade so we exchange addresses. I package my Minimag up and ask if sent the Cocker yet. Not yet, he doesn't drive and can't get to the post office. Alright, so I send the Minimag. I write to him to expect it the end of the week. Now I write several e-mails and PMs. No answer in the last three days. I think I am getting screwed again. I found his number on the Internet and I think that I will call him tommorrow or Monday. Could be bad. Oh he has a very high post rating so he is on here alot. Figured I could trust him more.

So have you had these problems? I think that I will just buy my stuff retail from now on and maybe sell online. I would never screw anyone so if they send the money cool, if not then maybe someone else will. This is BS that there are dishonest people that suck this hard.

oldsoldier
06-15-2002, 07:39 PM
every time I sell something, or buy even, I get POSTAL MO's. The post office can track them, that way you know if they were cashed or not. I havent been burned yet, but mostly sell. I try to get out whatever I am selling as soon as I get the money, but sometimes it may take a few days; thats the nature of my job. But I never leave someone hanging...and, so far, the few I have traded with, have said nothing but nice things. Anyway, hope you dont get burned.

Blazingace
06-15-2002, 08:08 PM
I always use POSTAL MO. I have no doubt that he already cashed the 210. That is not even in doubt. I belive that he never sent the valve. Especially since he won't return my calls. The guy I traded with sounds young so I might just be impatient. I really want to see what this Cocker thing is all about and I can't wait to get it to try out. I just wish he would communicate better, if he is going to send it. For those of you keeping track at home I will total the amount of money I have not collected on yet.

Retro Valve.........................210
Minimag w/ New Lapco Drop,
New Gas thru fore grip, New Macro
line kit, Wood grips, Thumb velocity
adjuster and all new o-rings........250
8" stock Minimag, 10" SS
All-American, 16" Aluminum
All American........................100
Like New, use once, Clear 12v Revvy.50

Total...............................610

That is halfway to my Extreme E-Mag or alot of very nice upgrades to an Autococker. Any way you look at it 600 is alot of money.

zbody
06-15-2002, 08:12 PM
Atleast leave some negative feedback if the person is an AOer so that none of the rest of us gets screwed over. I'd send him an email with your intentions first and then if there is no reply put your neg. feedback here and file for fraud.

MrMag
06-15-2002, 08:16 PM
never been ripped, thought i was once on ebay, but the thing was just sent REALLY late

Blazingace
06-15-2002, 08:17 PM
Yeah your right. I have seen him on some other AOers poo list so......ElementEclipse is kind of screwing me hard. The other guy is young so I will give him more time. I just want better communication with a high dollar trade happening.

paintbattler
06-15-2002, 08:23 PM
im sorry that happend. is there any way you can go to the authorities?

rudy
06-15-2002, 08:56 PM
Well since you brought it up. I have some rants.
I have a whole bunch of items for sale and have sold many items and bought too. The biggest problem I have is people who are basically liars intentioanl or not they are liars.
I had at least 5 money orders that people promised to send me for items i was selling. Guess what I recieved 0. and the worst thing is for some odd reason internet buyers come in packs of like 5 - 10 for the same item. No one wanted my ultralite mag barrel for a while then all of a sudden like 5 people are interested in it at the same time. Same with a couple guns i had the problem there was I let some people talk me into accepting a MO and had to tell the other people who wanted the guns that it was sold because they said they would send out the money. 3 weeks goes by and no money so I still have the gun and all the buyers are gone. I have pretty much decided to only accept paypal now. At least then if they dont send the money I can figure it out in time to sell to another buyer. I get this feeling if tom does make intelli Zs he will run into the same problems people love to make a commitment when its just words but when it comes time to shell out some money they somehow cant manage. The other one I dont care for is I can get the money in 4 weeks or whatever. Please save your money first then buy when you have the cash in hand I am sorry im not walmart and i dont have layaway people. (This will help you to not get into much debt in life if you use this tactic)

Now for buying stuff and bartering or trading items for items. I absolutely hate when people try to convince me that they are giving me a good deal. I dont care how much bling bling and crap is on your angel or cocker im gonna throw out all your crap and put stuff I like on any way. Its not my fault you wasted you money if you want to get your moneys worth then separate it all if you think you tricked aftermarkeyt junk is worth so much. Or people say I can get more then that anyday, well I say knock yourself out its capitalism I think if you could you wouldnt be talking to me right now it would be sold. Then there are the liars they say. TRICKED PIMPED BLING BLING this gun shoots like a dream. I get 15 bps best gun I ever had. Man I tell ya if the gun is so great you must not have had more then one gun or else I cant understand why you would be selling it. If its so great take it over to the closest pro team you can find, let them shoot it and you can get an easy 2000 for it why are you trying to sell it to me. In fact you should open your own company based on your gun that shoots so great. These people have all the hype from every peice of junk in the industry piled into thier selling points.

Now when I am selling during bartering I have a little different standpoint. I know what I want for each of my items i understand that the market will also influence the price. I DO NOT care if you "lowball" me hey its your money you see the item and you know how much you want to pay I will only say no if i dont want to go that low. People who annoy me are the ones who take it as an insult to thier ego if you go lower then they want. A guy offers 600 for an lcd angel and the seller flips out then all the angel shooters come in and are like man you are so lame. Obviosly you guys need to take a little of you ego dependance off you gun if you dont liek the offer just say NO. And like I dont see what all the other guys are doing they are only thier cause they hope to keep the resale value of thier own gun up. However if you go to low and I say no dont come to me with a sob story about how you only have so many $ or you have to buy a n2 tank still I dont care go buy a 20 BE gun then dont bother me with your sob story. Last but not least Is I HAVE TO SELL THIS BY NEXT WEEK CHEAP. they catch my eye so I look only to find the gun is not cheap at all infact its the average asking price. and 4 weeks later they are still trying to sell it. If you really need to sell it then you better actually put a good price on it. In fact in my expirence putting a real low price on an item will return you the most money because the people trying to out bid each other will actually drive the price up. to a fair price for quick sell. I have seen several angels go up to 950 which was more then they probably should have gone for in those situations.

Sorry if I used angels quite a bit as examples it just seems I most often run into in these situations the most.

Just remeber people you "pimped" out your gun to your liking for you as an individual and you probably think you are a unique and individual person. So that means that it is unlikly anyone else is gonna what the same setup as you.

EDIT: and please if you find bad trader list them

SqueegeeKid
06-15-2002, 09:23 PM
I have had NO problems buying stuff online. I've bought a few things from forums or eBay and it's been great. Everytime i read posts like this though it gets me paranoid i'm gonna get ripped off or something's gonna go wrong.

RT_Luver
06-15-2002, 09:36 PM
its really kinda annoying...but the thing is, your more likely to get what you want so its sorta a win/loose kinda thing

TigerMan
06-15-2002, 09:46 PM
The one thing that I absolutely cannot stand when selling something online is the people who contact me, talk to me for like an hour on AIM, build you up thinking they are going to want it and actually say they'll take whatever it's I'm selling, then say "oh but I need to sell this first before buying it, it will only take a week or two." IT FREAKING MAKES ME MAD! Especially since they have wasted my time. There is nothing worse that I cannot stand then that.

FactsOfLife
06-15-2002, 10:16 PM
sorry to hear your other trades/sales have gone south bud. I do know that if you have something I need I can count on you as a reliable trader. wish they all were...

omni
06-16-2002, 04:07 AM
I'd suggest getting a tracking number, I recently did a Deal with RogueFactor, and I do believe he did send my item. He sounds like a A+ guy, I just don't know where it is right now and its been quite awhile. He even offerd to put one on, but I was a bit strapped for cash.

:(

Also check out this article
http://www.pballcanada.com/articles.html#buyingselling

Blazingace
06-16-2002, 07:55 AM
Yeah, I did a few things wrong in the Retro situation. The 'Mag thing is pending. I guess I got too excited with the prospect of a good trade. I have bought tons of stuff off Ebay, and here on the forums. Bought one Minimag and Intelliframe and Minimag valve off Ebay. Bought another 'Mag and Freak Inserts here. Those are just the bigger transactions. Now my two biggest transactions are in limbo. If I don't get a response on the trade I will call him on the phone. The Retro is a total lose. He refuses to respond to e-mails and doesn't return my calls. Guys like Rouge factor, Tunaman, Grey Goose and bbqchicken8 will still have my business but, I don't know about just going with anybody from now on.

FooTemps
06-16-2002, 10:43 AM
I've never been ripped by a trade but I have been ripped from buying from an online store. DON'T BUY FROM PAINTBALLFX.COM! THEY ARE VERY UNPROFESSIONAL AND THEY CAN'T EVER GET ANYTHING RIGHT! AHHHHRG! AND I NOW I CAN'T PLAY W/ THE V-FORCE SHIELD I WAS SUPPOSED TO GET!

My good experience is with Tunaman, it was a completely unfair trade but Tunaman is very very generous. I traded him my pg1 pro for a mag setup. I sent my pg1 pro out on a wednesday I think and I get the mag a week later on thursday.
[yoda voice] A very good trader he is [/yoda voice]

Croix71
06-16-2002, 01:31 PM
Online, I've always bought things new for fear of getting burned. Even then, the store or person I'm doing business with (ex. Modified Paintball) must have a very good rep. I've ended up paying a bit more buying new than used but it sure has saved me a lot of hassles and headaches that other people have experienced. On a positive note I still do save by buying things online than if I buy items from my local pro-shop.

Also, be VERY wary of dealing with international deals. For example a friend of mine bought a marker from Canada and it's been almost 10 weeks and still no marker. The person who sold him the marker claims he sent it. Problem is now that if my friend files a complaint or files fraud charges he has to deal with the Canadian authorities. :mad:

MrEvil
06-16-2002, 01:41 PM
when I'm not sure if I can trust that guy I let him send the stuff "per nachnahme", (I am German)
He has to write on the packet how much money he wants for it, and when the packet arrives I have to pay the postman and the German Post transfers the money to that guy.
It costs more but you cant get ripped

Polishpickles451
06-16-2002, 02:40 PM
using COD is a great idea, but any shaddy dealings done through US mail become mail fraud, and you call up the police station in the town of the person you were trading with.
Feedback is very important, i've got it in my sig. I've done many trades online, and I've never been burned.

Croix71
06-16-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by RogueFactor
Omni & to all International Senders/Receivers:

I have spoken with the Post Office regarding your situation. Once a package is turned over to Candadian Post, they will delivery it on their timeframe. Without insurance, there is no recourse.

A tracking number would not have been possible, but Insuring it would have.The only tracking you can get is through UPS or Fedex(or other non-government delivery service).

The problem is its VERY expensive. UPS/FedEx/Airborne get hit with a brokerage customs fee that is OUTRAGEOUS!!! I was quoted by UPS a $30 customs fee, when the shipping was only $20. So it would have cost $50 Total for shipping!!!

Business is difficult with international packages/buyers. Which I believe is the reason why the AGD Online store does not offer Canadian sales.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info Rogue, I'll pass it along to my friend. :D

Restola
06-16-2002, 07:24 PM
My experience has been once you find a serious seller, everything goes great. The problem is you try to sell a mag and you get 500 emails saying "I'll give you $50 cash right now!" or "I'll trade you my spyder with a million upgrades! Its better than a mag!" dispite the fact your ad clearly states no trades, and the price is listed.

As a general rule figure 1 in 10 offers will be serious or legit. If I come home and have 20 emails in my box about stuff I'm selling, chance are I'll only need to reply to 3 or 4 at the most.

Some helpfull rules:
-Dont buy from anyone with ANY questionable feedback
(do a search for the user name)
-Use paypal. Everything goes smoother when the money is delivered.