PDA

View Full Version : removeing paint....(interesting problem)

demonguy8
06-18-2002, 03:13 AM
Well I never thought the day would come.... Im selling my cherished autococker.... theres just one TINY problem.... I kinda painted it lol.... I wanted my ugly stock body to match my blue parts (everything BUT the mainbody was blue)so I took Blue paint that works on aluminum and carefully painted the body... then sanded and put a thin layer of enamel on (all this with a VERY small paintbrush so as not to get any paint on internals).... Well despite me thinking that it looks damn cool, my neighbor (the one most likely to be purchasing) seems to think that if the color doesnt go then neither does the cocker:( ..... NOT a problem I assumed, until he mentioned that HE DOES WANT THE BLACK ..
I guess my question is that is there a way to remove the paint / enamel without losing the stock black? ALSO i dont want to use anything that may react chemicaly with the aluminum....

procedures reccomended on how to do this will be greatly apreciated!!

also if your wondering about why im selling it if i like it so much take a look at the reason :cool:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1834832539

Load SM5
06-18-2002, 07:26 AM
Well, you may try sanding down a bit to get to the first few layers off, then take some mineral spirits and go at it. Try it with a scotchpad and first and then go to rags. If it does'nt want to work then, maybe, try to go up to a stronger chemical. I'm not sure what effect a chemical paint stripper would have on the stock anno job.

Jonno06
06-18-2002, 09:38 AM
just paint it black......

paintbattler
06-18-2002, 09:58 AM
try fingernail remover.

Wc Keep
06-18-2002, 10:04 AM
i have no clue but i just wanted to say welcome to the family.

Vegeta
06-18-2002, 10:24 AM
I am not hte chemistry expert, but sanding a bit to removeht e enamel coating, then applying a mixture of muric acid and a watered down sulfuric acid might do the trick. The original bodyies are powdercoated, and it shouldn't hurt it. Leave it on for about a day. Or try fingernail polish remover...

FrAuStY
06-18-2002, 10:26 AM
Actually it should be annoed black under the paint. I'd suggest using a mild paint remover. I think hardware stores sell it in a spray can. You can spray some on a rag and gently wipe the paint off. Keep a clean rag close by with some mineral spirits or turpentine to remove any excess paint and paint remover. It will take some time but you should be able to get it all off without damaging the anno.

athomas
06-18-2002, 11:06 AM
I agree with FrAuStY. The body should be annodized black, which is not paint. Use a mild paint remover to remove the paint. Do not sand or use muric acid because it will remove the annodized finish as well.

richie
06-18-2002, 11:19 AM
Carburetor cleaner in a can works wonders on enamel paint.spray it into a rag and wipe it on. I have used it on my anodized pieces before and never had a problem.Just don't get it on plastic. Give it a try.

bofh
06-18-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by paintbattler
try fingernail remover.

You mean fingernail polish remover... right?

It's just a kind on the hands verison of Acetone. Acetone is great for removing all sorts of things. :)