PDA

View Full Version : Medal Of Honor trivia

-Jôker-
06-18-2002, 08:12 PM
during what war was the Medal Of Honor created?

Timmee
06-18-2002, 08:13 PM
Hmm, during the Civil War?

-Jôker-
06-18-2002, 08:18 PM
yep! now who was the only female to be awarded the medal??

Army
06-18-2002, 09:20 PM
Dr. Mary E Walker in 1865, but was recinded in 1917 along with nearly 1000 others. However, she is infamous for refusing to NOT wear the medal.

She was a very good surgeon, but well known as a nut-case. She would normally dress in mens clothing, including top hat and coat.

She doctored during the first battle of Bull Run, and later on at Chickamauga. She was taken prisoner after the battle of Atlanta, and held for 4 months.

Havoc_online
06-18-2002, 09:47 PM
lol, in other words, give him your next question.;)

-Jôker-
06-19-2002, 02:33 AM
sheesh cant a guy NOT be online!! :p ok who was the only member of the coast guard to recive the medal?

oldsoldier
06-19-2002, 07:59 AM
I dont know...but here is a little MOH trivia; How much gold is actually in the medal itself?

slateman
06-19-2002, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by -Jôker-
sheesh cant a guy NOT be online!! :p ok who was the only member of the coast guard to recive the medal?

And the answer is...
Douglas Munro. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at Point Cruz, Guadalcanal, on September 27, 1942.

Army
06-19-2002, 09:55 AM
The MOH contains 90% gold, and 10% alloy

oldsoldier
06-19-2002, 11:19 AM
Army, not anymore. The actual award is only plated now. There was a writeup about it awhile ago. It was in reference to how congressmen that serve a lifetime in gov't are awarded a solid gold medal (dont remember the name), and folks who risk their lives, usually getting killed in selfless acts that forever alter our history are awarded with a medal that costs more to produce it than it i worth, monetarily. The article was in no way flaming awardees, in fact, if I recall, it was written by one. He was just outraged that someone who sits in an AC office all his life is awarded a medal of solid gold, and someone who, for the most part, makes the ultimate sacrifice for his country, his family is given a medal which costs more to mint than it is worth.
Unfortunately, i dont recall when I read this. But it was either an issue of Army Times (most likely), or Time magazine. Anyway, it kinda pissed me off about that.

Army
06-19-2002, 02:47 PM
Legislation introduced in 1995, and passed in 1996, amended the then current law in the content of the Medal. It is now 90% solid gold and 10% alloys.

That likely resulted from the debate you described.

mykroft
06-19-2002, 03:04 PM
oldsoldier: in Fact that was the content of the Medal before 1995, it is now solid, not plated.

What was the last conflict that the medal was awarded in?

What was the last conflict with living holders?

Army
06-19-2002, 04:34 PM
Somalia

Vietnam

-Jôker-
06-19-2002, 06:48 PM
hey! i thought this was my thread! :p Douglas Munro thats right! ok ill get a new ? in a minute

-Jôker-
06-19-2002, 07:05 PM
after receiving the MOH the recipient is entitled to what? they get several things

Army
06-19-2002, 08:36 PM
A salute from any and all uniformed soldiers regardless of rank, and the CinC.

Their children are offered appointments to West Point, Annapolis, or the Air Force Academy.

Medical care for the rest of their lives (Tricare...whoopee).

They also get a small stipend monthly, I don't remember how much.

kutter
06-19-2002, 08:42 PM
Actually ARMY their children are entitled to appointments at any US military academy, including the Coast Guard Academy and US Merchant Marine Academy, and if I am not mistaken VMI and the Citadel also honor this condition.

oldsoldier
06-19-2002, 08:43 PM
The monthly stipend isnt much...I recall it being based on a salary during the civil war. Dont quote me on that though:D

-Jôker-
06-19-2002, 11:05 PM
well they yall give up? most of that is right but a few deatails missing... likle the amount and there is somthing else if you give up scroll other wise try not to peep :p

Recipients of the Medal of Honor receive $600 per month for life, a right to burial at Arlington National Cemetery, admission for them or their children to a service academy (if they qualify and quotas permit), and free travel on government aircraft to almost anywhere in the world, on a space-available basis.

Army
06-20-2002, 12:04 AM
Well, any combat veteran is eligible for Arlington NC,

I did say a small stipend!

Space A is available to all military personel. An MOH gets to keep space A priviledge as a civilian.

...and nobody really wants to be in the Coast Guard anyway:D

kutter
06-20-2002, 04:51 AM
ARMY as a 15 year veteran of the Coast Guard I take offense to that remark ;)

The Coast Guard did have, at least back when I came in a very simple policy, 'You have to go out, you do not have to come back.' This all changed of course when Admiral Yost was appointed the Commandant and he shifted our primary mission from SAR to drug enforcement, it was sad day for the CG. We used to be the good guys in the white hats that came to get you when everything went wrong. Now we are just another seagoing law enforcement service. Even the migrant interdiction which the high ups try to portray as a safety at sea issue is about law enforecement.

I regret what has happened and like most full time military miss the 'Old Days'. Thankfully I have about 4 and half to retirement then I do not have to deal with it any longer.

But do not misinterpret me, I have loved serving my country and I would still join now, but as we are all aware things are not what they used to be.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

oldsoldier
06-20-2002, 08:15 AM
Hey guys, thanks for correcting my metal for the medal:D . Maybe it was an old article that stimulated that legislation to change it. Anyway, anyone else have another question?