PDA

View Full Version : Scope for 68Auto Classic

tom
06-19-2002, 08:55 PM
I'm looking for afairly large scope(not a sight rail) that would connect to my automag. Can anyone suggest a type of scope designed for my marker or a way to attach one. Plz recomend websites,

paintbattler
06-19-2002, 08:57 PM
you dont really need a scope for an automag...

a_malfunction
06-19-2002, 09:12 PM
No scope is designed to be bolted directly to the mag... you'll have to get a sight rail and a scope that fit the rails of the sight rail. But, why would you want a scope? Its just gonna get in the way.

Polishpickles451
06-19-2002, 09:39 PM
scopes are a pointless waste of money

kemikos
06-19-2002, 09:50 PM
OK, here's what you'll have to do: get a sight rail. All sight rails for the Automag (barring one-of-a-kind custom jobs) have a 3/8" dovetail scope mount. Get yourself a set of scope rings that will attach to a 3/8" rail, and you should be set.

For paintball purposes, I usually recommend the high-rise ring type that are designed so you can see under the scope. That way, you can still aim over the gun when you just want to make a quick snap shot. Also, raising the position of the scope up helps it clear the feed tube. And even with high-rise rings, most scopes won't clear a powerfeed; you may have to use a standard feed body (which isn't as big a problem as it used to be, with the newer blowback-reducing bolt designs).

Also, get some lens protectors of some type! If you take your scope on the field, it will get shot. It's much better to replace a $5 protective cap than a $$$ scope.

Finally, keep in mind that the crosshairs in the scope won't do you all that much good. Paintballs just aren't that accurate under any circumstances. The way I have my scope set up (see the picture below) is like this: It's a 3-9x40 scope, but I don't turn up the magnification for shooting. At the lowest magnification, I set the scope so that the point where the balls fall at the furthest possible range (about 100 ft. or so) is at or near the bottom of the scope's field of view. That way, I can watch the entire arc of each shot and determine how to adjust my aim for the next shot. Again, this is usually a time-consuming process. It's basically useless on a smaller, speedball-style field. If that's where you normally play, save some weight and leave the scope off. The scope will come in most useful in large woods fields, such as large rec and scenario games.

Hope this helps, and have fun!

Coaster
06-20-2002, 10:33 PM
wow... that is a really cool set-up for your mag. Where did you get that stock for it and did you put it together yourself or have some custom shop do it?

Vegeta
06-20-2002, 11:37 PM
A scope in paintball is pointless. A paintball gun does not have the range to need any sight assistance. You are not going to be able to shoot a target that is so far away that you cannot center a dovetail or sight down the barrel at. PB guns just dont shoot that far accurately. What you end up doing is spending more time searching in that scope recticule than actually playing hte game, and you will lose conciousness of your surroundings and will be easily bunkered. Pointless my friend. Spend your money on a nice D/F or put it towards something practicle like a warp.

kemikos
06-21-2002, 01:24 AM
Coaster: http://www.extremesportsandhobbies.com
Thanks, I like it. It just won the "Coolest modified gun" contest at a scenario game last weekend, incidentally... :)

Vegeta: In general, I agree with you. However, I have found a few specific uses for a scope in scenario games (which is mostly what I play). As I mentioned in my first post, if you're playing in bunkers, leave the scope off, as it'll just get you killed. Often in scenario games, however, you do have the time to spend lining up a shot; once you do shoot, though, you won't have time to do much else, so those first few better count.

Coaster
06-21-2002, 10:29 AM
one reason why i would consider a scope for big games is just so you can get a closer view.... maybe 2x magnification and a very wide viewing angle. Just so you could tell if what you are seeing is somebody's head or some other object..

Snakebite78
06-22-2002, 10:06 AM
If you're looking for a good way to sight your gun without a scope, the Armson Pro Dot or the new Dye sights are nice. They are both eyes wide open sights where one eye looks into the sight and the other looks at everything else. The eyese put it together and voila, you have a dot where you're aiming. Now you may be thinking you'll be all cross-eyed and wondering how this works, and I also wondered, but I just tried the Dye at my local store and it's pretty neat. I may buy it soon, I dno.

kemikos
06-23-2002, 09:36 PM
Coaster: Yes, that's one of the very useful things you can do with a scope in a big game. I've been able to read the number on a player's ID tag from outside paintball range... that wasn't too useful, but often it is very nice to be able to get a nice close-up view of the action.

Snakebite: As long as you're looking at electronic "dot" sights, I've been hearing good things about one called the "E-Dot" (I'm not sure who the manufacturer is). Supposedly the dot it produces is adjusted to work better for paintballs, and the elevation adjustments are set up for paintball ballistics, rather than firearm ranges like most point sights are. I haven't yet had the chance to try one, so I'm taking all this with a grain of salt, but if it's as good as I hear, it will give people a reason to put sights on their paintball guns again.