PDA

View Full Version : Max-Flo Questions

Cliffio
06-19-2002, 09:43 PM
I got a few ?'s before i take the plunge and buy another $400 air system

first of all im gonna be running it on a works mini cocker, that gonna be cool?

Second, its gonna be the new style with the dovetail mount i believe, if that isnt right can someone please tell me what it is

third, i was thinking about a shocktech drop, that gonna work? if not what kinds of drops will?

fourth, what is the CHEAPEST price you have seen? what was it? where was it? keep in mind i want a new style, and its gotta be red and 68/45. cheapest ive seen is 389 @ action village

Anybody had any problems with the maxi? i will prolly be running a gen-x reg or a wdp mini reg, altho if its gonna work well, ill be gutting a mini reg and just runnin the maxi straight

anyways just want some input
thanks
Cliff

bman1967
06-19-2002, 10:23 PM
Cliffo,

I have two maxflows that I use on my cockers. I highly reccomend them.

1) Yes. It will be great on the highend works. I bought the Standard Model that comes with the High and Mid pressure springs. ( most peeps call the second spring Low pressure , but Smart Parts reserves that Spring for the LP system exclusively according to their docs. )

2) yes the New system is a Dovetail mount, but it's a SP Dovetail Mount and is larger and reverse from what most drops have. in other words there is a reciever part that will mount to the drop and the tank's dovetail will slide in for mounting.

3) I do believe that the shocktech or just about any drop that has two holes in the front is going to work for you there. Just remember that some of the drops that come made for the (I'll call it standard for lack of a better term ) Standard Dovetail only have one Hole in the front for a setscrew.
I use a Smart Parts drop, because it's clean looking and simple.

4) Not sure there, but I payed more than those prices for mine. :(

5) I run the Mid Pressure spring to a gasthrough on my Freeflow. Tonight at pratice I cronoed in at 287 288 288 287. With the WDP reg and the HP spring I was all over the place. +/- 10 I thought about gutting my Minireg, but I didn't want any restrictions, and simply removing the guts won't work because of the small HP bleed hole near the top of the reg. I heard there was a way, but decided against it personally because the Gasthrough was cheap.

I hope this helps, and congrats on the Works Mini. I saw it in the Forum and it was sweet looking.

-=-
bman

Cliffio
06-19-2002, 10:29 PM
hey thanks, that really helped alot, i just need to find a cheap one, but i think that action village is gonna be the cheapest, altho i cringe at ordering from them

anwyays, thats alot

you said i should use the mid spring?

also, its comming with a gen-x reg, that gonna work well?

thanks
Cliff

bman1967
06-19-2002, 10:46 PM
Cliff,
you can get the latest doc here:
http://www.smartparts.com/MaxFlowManual.pdf

The Gen X is a great reg. I know that someone may have another opinion on spring selection, but you can always try the HP spring first and change to the Mid if you need to.

I use the Mid because I have the tank set around 300 psi out. The Docs say use the Mid on a cocker set between 450 and 550. I would just set the tank to about 150 Psi over your gen x pressure out and adjust it higher if you have any shootdown or drop off. I had to run mine at about 500 psi with the WDP mini reg, but I don't have a LP chamber.

Hope this helps,

-=-
bman

DryIce
06-19-2002, 11:08 PM
i have a maxflo on my matrix
and it rocks
highly recommended
i wont tell you what i paid for mine since you will cry :(

or.. maybe i will !
new style :(
used... but you cant tell :)

Cliffio
06-19-2002, 11:20 PM
thats ok i wont be buying any used air tanks, something always goes wrong, anyways, 275 is pretty fair

anyways,
thanks for your input

Cliff

Cliffio
06-20-2002, 12:22 PM
i hate to bump threads in the main forum, but i need answers, im prolly buying the tank this weekend

please reply

Cliff

Krazy Ivan
06-20-2002, 01:05 PM
I bought a 68/45 from a local PB shop and paid 420 for it, anno'd blue. Awesome reg/tank, never creeps and has an awesome recharge. I bought it a couple months ago, every time I get to shoot my gun with it I get pretty consistent flow through my mag. I shot upper 270's every time.

However to clarify one thing. The actual LP spring, that will let the tank pressure dip into outputting only 50-250 psi, will NOT fit in a high pressure Max-Flo. The chamber where the spring goes isn't the right size for it. It just won't fit in it.

The LP one is just if you want to run something like a Matrix, Shocker, or other extremely LP gun off the reg alone.

AssassN
06-20-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Cliffio
thats ok i wont be buying any used air tanks, something always goes wrong, anyways, 275 is pretty fair

anyways,
thanks for your input

Cliff

AMEN TO THAT!

sbikeclix
06-20-2002, 05:34 PM
btw i found the maxflo for 10$ cheaper ( though i ordered it from pbgear.com anyway b/c there was other stuff i wanted too that i wanted to get)-but if you want the most bang for your buck, www.paintballwholesalers.com has them for 379.99$- hope you enjoy your maxflo; theyre awfully sweet- too bad i cant get it filled and working right until saturday...does anyone think it will matter that i am runing it through a sidewinder? will that increase or decrese consistency compared to running a straight max-flo?

DiRTyBuNNy
06-20-2002, 06:04 PM
I've got one of the new blue Maxies (68/4500)..i actually don't care for it very much..i'm looking to trade it for an Angel Air actually...oh well..

FutureMagOwner
06-20-2002, 06:06 PM
you could get the vertical regulator that smart parts makes now its only around 100(of course if you dont have a tank to begin with then the tank would be smarter)

SHOCKER1050
06-20-2002, 07:03 PM
hey,
i just ordered a red 68ci 4500psi maxflow for my red SFL from paintballgear.com....i never knew there was mid pressure springs....so since the SFL's run around 375 what spring should i use when i get the maxflo in....o yah, and i was just going to run the maxflow into a gas-thru since i heard the maxflows dont need to be duel regulated....
john

bman1967
06-20-2002, 10:05 PM
John,

I think that you will be pleased with that setup. I was more consistant at the chrono (+/- 2 ) with the new 68/4500 maxflow and a gas-thru on my Freeflow.

If you can read the Online manual I posted the link to above. It tells you that you should use the Mid pressure spring that is in the parts kit for a cocker, not the high pressure spring that comes in the Reg. It's pretty simple to replace, and should only take a minute or two. Just remove the spring cap, Filter element, Bumper , and High Pressure Spring. Then Drop in the Mid Spring and everything else you just removed on proper order. The only tool required is for the Spring Cap locking screw.

Bman

mykroft
06-20-2002, 10:58 PM
Superb system.

LP Max-Flo's have different sized internals (1 piston is nearly 2x the size of it's HP Flo equivalent). Go with medium springs.

The Gen-X will be a fine reg to use in the setup.

Shocktech drops will work fine (They have 2 holes for running standard bottomlines).

Gutting the reg works fine although the HP Max-Flo's bottom end output is around 250psi, so if you are running any less tahn 300 into the valve, and want to go with a gutted HP reg, use a LP Flo. My Angel is set up this way, gutted reg, 325psi in, +/-2fps consistency.

Shocker1050: Use Medium Springs.

Vegeta
06-20-2002, 11:22 PM
OK every time someone mentioned MaxFlo's in the chat I respond with this:

"MAXLOWS ARE DAMN COMMIE CHEATER REGS!!!"

OK so... I hear they are very nice regs and all.. but they have that HUGE adjuster knob on the front and are easy to turn up and down.. especially by cheaters to get a few more FPS.... sometimes over the limit. If you do get a max flow I ask taht you never do this. Cheating (in paintball) = teh bad

Cliffio
06-20-2002, 11:51 PM
i know what your saying, but i never have nor ever will cheat in this great game

but thanks for your concern

Cliff

mykroft
06-21-2002, 12:36 AM
Vegeta: There's a good Tourney lock on the reg. Refs need to be anal about checking them.

Cliffio
06-21-2002, 12:48 AM
but i thought that the tourny lock required no tools to take off

altho like i said i dont know much about them

Cliff

sbikeclix
06-21-2002, 07:59 AM
the tourney lock is a screw that tightens down the side of the screw- for a pic see http://www.smartparts.com/spmaxflo4500.htm -mouse over the fron view, look on the right side of the kob and you can see it- it needs an allen wrench to remove or loosen;mykroft is right about the refs though, its rather easy to get by if theyre not good about checking them

DarkRipper
06-21-2002, 09:19 AM
Cliffio, check with UrbanKnight at PBC for a decent deal on a maxflow.

:)
DR

SHOCKER1050
06-24-2002, 12:58 PM
can someone send me what the link says about the medium springs by copying it and paisting in an email and sending it to shocker1050@aol.com because i can not open that kind of file...i would really appreciate it....
john

Krazy Ivan
06-24-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by SHOCKER1050
can someone send me what the link says about the medium springs by copying it and paisting in an email and sending it to shocker1050@aol.com because i can not open that kind of file...i would really appreciate it....
john

Download Adobe Acrobat reader. That's what you need to open that file, and most of the other manuals on Airgun.com too.

www.adobe.com

SHOCKER1050
06-24-2002, 01:37 PM
hey,
thanks for letting me know that but my computer is so slow it takes hours to download that and i get kicked off by the time i do...so if \someone could be nice and just copy it and put it in an email id appreciate it...
john

Krazy Ivan
06-24-2002, 01:49 PM
I dumped the manual to a text file and emailed it to you. It's not pretty but it's still the entire manual.

mykroft
06-24-2002, 01:51 PM
The tourney lock/reg cap can easily be taken off, if the tourney lock isn't engaged, if it is engaged, you need to disengage it to remove/adjust.