PDA

View Full Version : PT Tip is stripped!! Bodge-Fix Question.

JanStah
06-21-2002, 05:34 AM
Hi,

My brother has Manike's old PF mag that's been sitting around in a box for a few years without use.

The first time we oiled and gassed it up, it worked fine for a while and then completely freaked out.

We took it apart and discovered that the powertube tip threads had become about Half-stripped and it had worked itself loose.

I dont have another PT tip, and dont want to buy one as I have Level10 on order.

However, I want to get this mag to work, even if only for a short while.

I can get the PT tip to screw in tightly and seal with the help of a lot of PTFE Tape. It's rigid and I dont think it leaks.

Here's what happens when I gas it up:

1. Immediatly after gassing up, it will seal or leak very slightly from the bolt.

2. I fire a few shots and the leak from the barrel becomes very feirce. The bolt doesnt appear to seal the PT properly.

3. I can push the bolt in with a squeegee and it seals OK, but then I let go, it leaks again.

The Sear IS holding the bolt, but the bolt needs another 1mm or so push back before it will stop leaking...

Hmmm.

I've replaced the PT, OnOff and PT tip orings and it didnt help. I've also oiled everything I can think of.

What could it be?

Black, rob, tom, anyone, please help me.

Cheers

Jan.

manike
06-21-2002, 02:09 PM
Shouldn't need PTFE on the tip. :rolleyes:

I am down at AGDE this weekend and will try to remember to bring back a spare tip for you. Shouldn't be long till the level 10 stuff arrives though.

It could be the powertube o-ring or spacer is not right, maybe try a powertube spring?

If you can get it round to my place tonight I'll take it down to AGDE with me and make sure 100% that it is working properly.

manike

manike
06-21-2002, 02:18 PM
p.s. I'm thinking Jon took it apart before it freaked out :D

JanStah
06-24-2002, 12:16 PM
Hi Si,

Sorry for the late reply, I was away from my computer all weekend.

Originally posted by manike
Shouldn't need PTFE on the tip. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know, but the threads are quite badly stripped... I'd say that the bottom half of the brass threads are almost completely removed. PTFE is the only way we could get it to stay on. Without it, it pops off in the gun after a few shots.

I am down at AGDE this weekend and will try to remember to bring back a spare tip for you.

If you did, Thanks! I really appreciate it! If not, no bother... I can wait for LX. :)

It could be the powertube o-ring or spacer is not right, maybe try a powertube spring?

Yeah, it could be. The spacer that's in there is a purple one. I dont know if that means anything. Sadly I dont have a PT spacer kit or PT spring to try.

Anyway, Cheers for your help. Let me know if you got that spare tip.

I've got some money now so I'm up for some 'ballin! Get Gordon to let me know next time you guys are at ASW..

Cya.

Jan.

PS. I'm sure I owe you a beer or 3. :)

manike
06-24-2002, 07:28 PM
It's 1.30 am and I just got back from AGDE. :D

I have a new powertube tip, spacer and o-rings for you...

I also have some 'other bits' ;) which ahem 'only just arrived in the country' ahem ;)

Call or e-mail me tomorrow and we'll work out how you get them to you.

manike