PDA

View Full Version : Are ReTro Valves tourney legal?

WebShock
06-22-2002, 11:18 AM
we had tourney caps for lvl 7 classic mags

what about the retro valve with the fat velocity adjuster that cant take a tourney cap....

id rt valves arent legal, how do we make them legal?

a_malfunction
06-22-2002, 11:22 AM
Retros/RTs/RTpros/emags are all legal. And no, you do not need a tourney cap for them.

WebShock
06-22-2002, 11:45 AM
?

when the marker is gassed up, does the velocity adjuster get auto-locked or something?

how is the velocity kept from being tuned w/o a lock out in the field?

if i assume correctly, a allen wrench and a eyeball would surely make that thing hot at a moments twist.

that was the thing with the classic valves, no one trusted the common user with an external velocity adjuster.

Sledgehammer
06-22-2002, 12:32 PM
Read tourney rules, you are not allowed to take an allen wrench on the field... :rolleyes:

RT_Luver
06-22-2002, 12:49 PM
ReTro valves a totally legal. NO MATTER WHAT ne one says(except for the ppl that mkae the rules of the tourny) as long as only ONE ball is fired per pull, release of the trigger its totally 100% fine

WebShock
06-22-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Sledgehammer
Read tourney rules, you are not allowed to take an allen wrench on the field... :rolleyes:

just like you arent supposed to raise the velocity...

i still dont have an answer to my question. :)

is there any prevention on these valves for the easy access velocity adjustment?

davej946
06-22-2002, 12:51 PM
Web,
The Level 7 mags had the adjuster nut with the threads exposed, unlike the RT and ReTros. Theoretically, you could twist the Level 7 nut with your fingers since the threads provided some grip. With the RT valves, the nut is smooth on the outside, preventing grip, and thus requiring an allen key.

The rules clearly state that NO TOOLS may be carried onto the field of play.

Hope This Helps ~ Dave

WebShock
06-22-2002, 01:02 PM
dave, thanks for your reply.

I understand that the classic vlaves had threads and might be adjustable with the finger.

Let me be more clear. what i was getting at was, the classic mag velocity adjuster with a tourney lock, had 2 allen screws that locked it in place. These screws were a diffrent size than the size of the velocity adjusting threaded screw. the lock, when applied properly, made it more time consumingto adjust the velocity on the field with a vast amount of tools. you could not adjust the velocity without being noticed while playing.

Enter the non threaded retro valve velocity adjuster. Yes, it has no threads, yet, to my understanding, with one allen wrench you could still up the velocity.

What i am getting at is, if a cheater wants to cheat by raising his velocity in a game, nothing is going to stop him from bringing one wrench onto a field to get his task done. IMO, a velocity lock would hinder (if not prevent altogether) a adjustment. granted if someone wants to up the velocity and has the will, he will carve the way.

My concern is, with past issues of the classic mag not being allowed on a field (rec ball or not) without a lock, what is so diffrent about a rt valve? is there some new thing that I dont know about that made it legal now? I'm just curious as to what made the valve legal without a lock. It looks to me that the back end of a rt valve is not any diffrent than the classic valve. Besides the non threaded velocity adjuster, it all looks the same to me.
am i making sense now?

BTW i own a l/f teflon body intelli-ReTroMag. I just recently finished my upgrade from Lvl 7 to Lvl 8. I want to make sure that when my local field owner has a fit because there is no lock on my rear adjuster, that I have something to justify the unlockable velo. adjuster. :)

WebShock
06-22-2002, 01:11 PM
to further elaborate, i was under the impression that the reason for the spyder and the autococker having beavertails is to prevent adjustment with tools. most markers require a non simplistic manner of velocity adjustment. Let it be the removal of the barrel so you can adjust the velocity or some form of disabling the marker from firing in any manner so it can be adjusted.

AzrealDarkmoonZ
06-22-2002, 01:39 PM
If you are going by the basis that any gun thats velocity can be adjusted by an allen wrench, then almost ALL guns fall under that category, ie any gun with a regulator.

Turn up the regulator, and unless it is sweet spotted, then the velocity will go up.

Az

WebShock
06-22-2002, 01:49 PM
hmmm...

good point.

the basis of a reg is to set the gun to about 320-350 and reg it down to 280..

didnt think of that one.

thanks.

mykroft
06-22-2002, 02:27 PM
Spyders have Beavertails to prevent whacking ones mask with a back-cocking bolt.

Cockers have beavertails to prevent thumping, IE pushing on the cocking rod to get 1 hot shot.

The Classic Mag was somewhat thumb adjustable, more so with the ever-popular replacement velocity adjusters. The RT is not thumb adjustable.

You get caught with tools on the field, the penalty is usually larger than the hot gun penalty.

Havoc_online
06-22-2002, 11:40 PM
Retro valves are perfectly legal, The only exception I've ever heard of is a Retro Valve that is set in "run away mode". Of course you could change the velocity with one tool but if your not caught there, you will be caught when a ref walks up to to mid game with a handheld radarchron. There should be no problems with you taking your gun to any field, if your local field owner gives you any trouble, then that proves that he/she is unprofessional and his/her refs are unable to do thier jobs properly. In any case, if he/she does hassel you, I'm sure if you gave us the field location name and number, there are more than a few ppl on here who would give him/her thier piece of mind(like me).:)

WebShock
06-23-2002, 12:24 PM
thank you all who replied,There was a lot thqt I did not know.

Temo Vryce
06-23-2002, 07:31 PM
If you field owner has a problem without the tourny cap in retro ask him/her, politely, to try and adjust the velocity without using tools. Just make sure you can afford the price of a tourny cap if they can actually do it. Even with the allen key its a stiff little begger to turn.