PDA

View Full Version : What is more common now?

Blennidae
06-23-2002, 03:15 PM
Of the pics I have seen posted here, most have been of the sup-air/speedball type fields. Is this the more common type of field nowadays? I have played the occasional speedball field, but it was always as an add on to a rec/woods ball field setup. Are the rec/woods fields going the way of the dinosaur? Are the sup-air/speedball fields now standalone units? What is out there where you play?

Just curious.

V-Viper
06-23-2002, 03:27 PM
I like pie... o wait no poll, both around here, but wood is better:p

06-23-2002, 03:31 PM
my feild has no woods

shartley
06-23-2002, 03:33 PM
No, they are not going the way of the Dinosaur. New Rec/Woods ball type fields are being made each and every day.

I think that it depends on what the field owners have to begin with, type of property and setting, funds, etc. For every sup air field I see in New England, I see many more rec/woods type fields. You will NEVER get rid of the rec/woods fields because contrary to “online myth”, speedball and tournaments are NOT the backbone of Paintball…. The Rec players and their fields are.

Yes, the other fields get the magazine spots, the “coverage” and the pictures being seen, but they are NOT the majority of fields. The same with equipment….. I hear about how everyone needs a good Jersey, Pads, and a whole slew of equipment…. But then you look around at what the average paintball player is using, wearing, shooting, etc. and you see a different thing…..

Camo is BAD! You bet! But you still see it ALL OVER. ;) Even some of the most respected AO Members wear it, for at least PART of their Paintball Clothes. Heck, I wear Camo Pants and a sweatshirt… pretty common thing. Look at paintball fields’ web sites and their photo galleries.. you will see every type of marker, form of dress, etc. right down to jeans, sneakers, and an old t-shirt.

Now also keep in mind that even though we at AO are a very large community of players, we are NOT the average paintball folks. The average paintball player does NOT post online. They do NOT join online forums for paintball or go to paintball chat rooms. The average Paintball Player is not even AVERAGE. ;) We on AO are a unique and special group, and should be proud of that. Even among online paintball communities we are different. :D

So, no… have no fear of losing the rec/woods fields. They are not going anywhere. A similar question was asked about TYPE of play, and if we as a paintball community have lost our roots…. Same answer… no. There have been changes to the sport, and there are more “visual” forms of play, but paintball is still paintball. And as long as you can get two kids (or adults.. LOL) a couple markers, face mask, and at least one hopper full of balls each… you will have PAINTBALL. And you will then find rec/woods fields. :D

I thank the industry for sup fields, and other types though.. its all good!

z-grip
06-23-2002, 03:33 PM
im all about spped ball/supair feilds. the rush is unmatched but playing army in the woods

mykroft
06-23-2002, 04:10 PM
Speedball is pretty much the entire competetive paintball world these days. Although, as Shartley says, Woods ball is by far the most common game, and your average player doesn't do the Jersey/pack/angel setup that dominates the paintball media and competetive paintball. Most fields have a speedball court, some kind of town/fort field and several woods fields.

paintbattler
06-23-2002, 04:37 PM
No, speedball isn't going with the dinosaurs. Scenario games (woods) are very common. Speedball is what most players play, though. It is a fast and close quarters game. The NPPL play speedball. In my opinion, speedball is a lot funner.

InfinatyBPS
06-23-2002, 05:06 PM
Funner...:D I'm with stupid^^^^;)

Ya I like speedball alot more than woods ball. I don't realy enjoy looking for people in the mud and bushes and having to shoot through branches and bushes, and having to climb up hills and stuff and sit with the bugs and such... I like to just play on a clean, speedball feild where you know where your opponents are and what you have to do, woodsball seems too confusing to me.

rjvemt1
06-23-2002, 06:31 PM
i think its supaire and speedball games are easier to photogaph due to the close confinments and the fact that tese fields usually have netting around for spectators.

RT_Luver
06-23-2002, 10:31 PM
our fiels has a ghetto one. its plywood and big black tubes...buts its fun. thier is ONE sup-air field. its not the one I go to all the time because they have a GRAVEL floor and slidin on that stuff HURTS, so I try to avoid it unles I REALLY wanna play and their the only ones open. but their closed now for remodeling so maybe they'll get rid of that gravel and get some grass

Army
06-23-2002, 10:51 PM
SC Village, the Mecca of paintball fields, has numerous woods fields, along with a number of speedball and concept fields.

Tombstone, which is across town from SC Village, has argueably the greatest woods and scenario field choice of them all.

Challenge Park Extreme, the home of Shatnerball, has a million dollar "armageddon" city in which to play.

Every great scenario is played in the woods, acres and acres and acres of woods.

The speedball arena is simply much more easy to conduct tournament style play, but it will never take over the woods or rec-play.

AcemanPB
06-23-2002, 10:56 PM
my field has both speedball and woodball, but i myself like speedball better

but hey it doesn't hurt to put on the camo and play a few woods game every once in a while

Pand0ra
06-24-2002, 07:25 AM
Sup'Air ball all the way for the competition and Speedball for the trainings. I find the games in the woods too slow for me.

But I do agree it's the best place to play rec ball. Just not my way of playing, that's all.

@++