PDA

View Full Version : Opening a paintball store?

MikeCouves
06-24-2002, 11:57 PM
I want to expand the paintball in my area, so I was just going to get stuff in on request for people around here that I know so they can trust that I will get there stuff right. What kind of licenses do you need to do this? What do you recommend? Thanks.

Snewk
06-25-2002, 12:20 AM
Business license maybe Mike? Whatever it takes wish you luck in your ventures on starting business.

MikeCouves
06-25-2002, 12:23 AM
I don't have a clue where to get one of those. I will have to ask around.

Duck Hunt -xi-
06-25-2002, 12:26 AM
google.com = best friend

MikeCouves
06-25-2002, 12:28 AM
Lol I use that so much, yet I haven't turned there. What would I search? "how to start a small buisiness"?

demonguy8
06-25-2002, 03:18 AM
I did a 11 page report on opening a paintball shop for a business management class (altho its no longer on my computer :rolleyes: ) Ill give you some general ideas from what I remember of it..

Zoneing = very important for location... I know all paintball stores near me are in unincorporated areas of towns. you tend to see adult bookstores,liquor stores, and cigerette shopps around since being in unicorperated = almost no zoning red tape.....

A thought to consider... you will have a VERY HIGH startup cost for all the gear you need to put on the wall... and only a fool expects to "make money" in their first year of business...

Unless you plan on never leaving the store you will need another certified airsmith working as well...

Economic areas: paintball stores in the ghetto dont fare as well as stores where ppl actually have money..

Proximity to other stores: obviously the less competition the better

Proximity to fields: People in a down town city may have more money but most if not all fields Ive seen are not anywhere close to "civilization".

other than that.. try and get a varied selection... just cuz you like mags(as an example) doesnt mean that a potential customer wants it as opposed to say a cocker or angel.(yes there ARE indeed mag-haters out there somewhere:eek:)
HAVE directions to local fields.. have flyers for local tournies... sponsering a local team may help get your name out as would sponsering a local charity or even your own tourny (has added bonus of helping you get in good witha field owner)..
dont overstock..(you have 10 2k2 lcds and the NEW ultra better 2k3 ones come out and noone wants the 2k2 ones anymore = just took a loss)

good luck with your store and i hope this helps a bit..

Dragoon
06-25-2002, 05:24 AM
Mike, check out the blue pages of your phone book. You should be able to find a small business start-up info line. All you really need to start is a vendors licence. It shouldn't cost you much more than $100. After that the problem is convincing wholesalers to sell to you. Some will want to see a picture of your store of feild, others just want your vendor number. But the best place for start-up info is the blue pages. Of course since your on the net I'm sure your provincial government site will have the info as well.

Good luck.

Douglas

luke
06-25-2002, 08:14 AM
Local business license.

Federal ID #

Most distributors will ask you to prove you are a business, meaning flyers, pictures of your field and or store front. (They use to anyway)

Being Incorporated helps. You will need a business bank account, business PO Box, and the licenses stated above.

If your serious about starting a business, go to a reputable accountant, they can set you up with what you need.

BTW it's very hard to compete with the big boys in the industry, it's all about buying power, you need lots of money to compete on their level. Good luck.

shartley
06-25-2002, 08:31 AM
http://sbinfocanada.about.com/

http://www.lawinternational.com/articles/canada.html

http://www.ualberta.ca/~bleeck/canada/canada6.html

I am sure you can find more sites online.. but those will give you plenty of good reading. Also keep in mind that as mentioned by another Member, Paintball has some special “needs” and “concerns” that many other businesses don’t have. Be VERY careful about Zoning, Insurance Requirements, Permits (if needed) etc.

Good luck.

Duck Hunt -xi-
06-25-2002, 10:25 AM
you will need a business license, im not sure if u need a merchant license or not, probably so.

sry i almost started a business once, but i never officially opened and now i cant remember what i did :(

just type merchant license into google or something

RT_Luver
06-25-2002, 11:32 AM
when I turn 18, I'm thinkin of opening a paintball field/shop. I knwo you need a business lincense or somehting like that(the licnense for you to own your own business) having a dealer status with paintball companies is a must, and a field is really helpfull;)