PDA

View Full Version : Paintball Artwork

dre1919
06-26-2002, 11:52 AM
I was just looking at the thread by Darklord of his paintball artwork...some nice work in there if you haven't seen it yet. I too have begun moving into the realm of paintball based illustrations with my professional artwork, so I thought I'd have some show and tell. If you aren't familiar with him, one of the best guys in paintball art is Ronn Stern. You can view his work as www.ronnstern.com.

Whereas Ronn's work is more interpretative and flowing, my style is cutting edge photo-realism. Employing watercolor and colored pencil, I try and incorporate as much detail as possible. I think paintball based art is a small area of the art world that could be expanded and brought to all kinds of people. Not to mention it's a great subject to draw! This particular piece I've included here is a good example of what my work looks like, and you can visit my temporary site to see other examples (although non-paintball.) www.portfolios.com/AndrewSloan

These pieces will be sold as originals as well as prints, although I don't know the details on that yet. I've been talking with the Femmes and Bea Youngs about doing a series on them, so that's also going to be an option in near future. N*Joy!

mykroft
06-26-2002, 11:55 AM
Very Impressive.

Nice to see someone other thean Ron doing PB Artwork(Ron's great, but we need more). I'd love to see more from the person who did SPALT's Anime PB Chick ads as well.

darklord
06-26-2002, 12:12 PM
Wow, NICE work! I'm very impressed.... yeah, my artwork definitely pales in comparison, but I figure once I get out of high school, and hopefully finish art school, I'll be better. Paintball will always have a place in my heart, and so will art, so combining the two is pretty logical. I've tried my hand at watercolors... it's fun, but it's definitely not a medium for everyone. I've seen the level of detail in some watercolor artists' work like Charles Gause, which is simply amazing...hopefully you will make more fantastic pieces like the example you provided! The level of detail in that picture is really crazy... just like Gause your painting is almost photogenic. I've always had an appreciation for artists who can draw really well.... I'm glad there's actually a faction of paintballers who can draw!

magman007
06-26-2002, 01:21 PM
That is amazing! but why isnt there a mag in there? lol just playin, i am in awe. i wish i could draw. good job and mad props to you. keep it up.

dre1919
06-26-2002, 11:23 PM
Thanks guys, I''m certainly looking forward to producing my first series of these. Normally I do a wide range of illustration topics, and this was one of them. This piece was a buddy of mine playing scenario, hence the camo, with his old school spyder. I can't wait to get started on some tourney images. The jerseys and bunkers will definitely add some color.

The Frymarker
06-27-2002, 07:43 AM
Great Job! I am an artist as well, I dabbled in paintball art. I guess Ron needs to know he is not the only one. hehe

I am very impressed by the realism. I love Norman Rockwell and I love to imitate his paintings, I love realism!

Best of luck with your career, I think you will have a great one!

Heather

Shaft
06-27-2002, 09:34 AM
I approve whole heartedly.
I've never been much of a fan of Ronn Stern's work, but that example is quite cool.
I also appreciate that the subject isn't a random tourney player, but rather an old school woods player.

FeuerFri
06-27-2002, 12:21 PM
vary nice, i'll hafta get a scanner and show some of my stuff. it'smostly abstract surrealism, i'm not big on the photorealism, but thers an interesting rtpro some ppl would enjoy.