PDA

View Full Version : So I got this cocker...

Cypres0099
06-26-2002, 02:47 PM
Maybe I should have posted this in a cocker forum but...eh

First of all I know nothing about cockers so keep that in mind. I got this 99 cocker in a trade, I haven't gotten it yet but he says it needs a new 3 way.

I found a place to get an STO 3 way for $14. Is that worth it or should I get something better even if it does cost quite a bit more.

Or would it be worth it to just go ahead and buy a front end kit. I found an ANS front end kit for $90.

One last thing. Since I don't know anything about autocockers can you tell me some things about basic maintenence and stuff?

Thanks

mykroft
06-26-2002, 03:04 PM
STO 3-way is one of the better 4-way's on the market. ANS is junk.

DYE, WGP Adjustable & Palmer 3-Ways are best, STO runs a close second.

Basic maintenance: Run some oil through it, and DFWI.

Temo Vryce
06-26-2002, 03:15 PM
The first thing you should do after you replace the 3-way is find someone who knows cockers and and get them to time it for you. Then oil it well after you use it every time and like Mykroft said DFWI or more politely don't mess with it.

Cypres0099
06-26-2002, 03:32 PM
I found the WGP (which I was also considering) for $30 more. <ignorance>Is it worth the extra $ over the STO? Also, which one would you personally recomend</ignorance>

mykroft
06-26-2002, 04:04 PM
If you don't know much about cockers, I'd go STO, the WGP Adjustables advantage over the STO is easier tweakability.

For me, the WGP Adjustable, for a new cocker owner, the WGP STO 4-Way would be better (Less temptation, excellent performance)

Cypres0099
06-26-2002, 04:21 PM
Not like it matter much because I'll probably just get the STO anyway but what does it offer over the stock 3 way. How does a new 3 way change the performance of a gun.

Skreemer
06-26-2002, 04:21 PM
if you don't mind spending the money on it go with the Palmer's Quick Switch. I had a STO on my black magic cocker originally and I had a terrible time with it "binding" everytime I moved or bumped the gun it started to vent... also from shooting real firearms I have a bad/good habit of keeping my trigger finger along the side of the gun till I need to fire... again hitting the rod and causing the 3-way to vent... I bought a quick switch and haven't had a problem since...(that was just a long winded testimonial wasn't it?)

InfinatyBPS
06-26-2002, 04:24 PM
Bombs are nice, I say get a bomb, it has one of the shortest pulls of any 3 way if not THE shortest, it may leak a little but the o rings are only $.50 which beats the $4.00 WGP o rings...

Cypres0099
06-26-2002, 04:27 PM
There is nothing I hate more than a leaking gun so keep that in mind.;)

Cypres0099
06-26-2002, 04:51 PM
I've been looking at a few more 3 ways and I was just wondering, how could the STO 3way be so great if it's half the price of nearly every other one on the market?

Don't pull my leg here, I'm a performance guru.:D I don't mind spending the extra bucks if it won't crap out on me.

Snewk
06-26-2002, 06:45 PM
Shocktech makes good stuff for cockers, so does palmers. I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Bomb and the Palmer's 3 way.

covadsucks
06-26-2002, 06:54 PM
Go with the Belsales Angry 3way or the Palmers. The Bomb may be a nice short 3way, but it'll tear o-rings like nothing. Stay away from ANS pnuematics. Go with Palmers, nice and reliable.

This is out of experience with ALL of the aforementioned manufacturers and the parts they make.

Telefragged
06-26-2002, 07:02 PM
When you buy an "STO" 4-way valve, you're not buying a WGP part, you're buying a Belsales "Angry" 4-way, nice, short, and buttery smooth. In case you didn't know, as far as 'Cockers go, Belsales Performance = Top knotch gear, some of the finest availible. For $14, a Belsales Angry is a steal! Go for it!

For future reference: AKA, PPS (Palmer), Belsales, and Eclipse make some of the finest 'Cocker stuff around. Kapp makes some nice stuff too, but I absoluetly hate ShockTech, no matter what anyone says...

ANS = Trash for the most part, that's why their pneumatics kits are so cheap.

Fritzy
06-26-2002, 07:23 PM
I have the Palmer's quickswitch on mine. It doesn't leak, is quite short, and worked equally well with both a standard 45 and a hinge.

I have always been a big Palmer fan in general. Everyone else tweaks their product every couple years or less, except Palmers. It is a tried and true design.

Cypres0099
06-26-2002, 08:36 PM
Is the STO that you said is made by belsale the same thing as the belsale Hollow point? I have been reading a bit and some people say that is a great 3 way.

liigod
06-26-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by mykroft
STO 3-way is one of the better 4-way's on the market. ANS is junk.

DYE, WGP Adjustable & Palmer 3-Ways are best, STO runs a close second.

Basic maintenance: Run some oil through it, and DFWI.

this guy know swhat hes talking about, listen to him. ANS = CRRRRRRRRRAPPPPP!

mykroft
06-26-2002, 11:23 PM
STO is cheap due to volume, it's the belsales Angry 4-way, not the Hollowpoint. Worth every penny.

Palmers are good but 2 expensive for a non-adjustable 4-way these days, if you've got that much cash to spend, go DYE or WGP Adjustable.

Shocktech bombs work great, if you've got one of the few that work in the first place.

Shocktect makes good drops, cocker bolts & angel bolts, everything else they make is Crap.

Cypres0099
06-27-2002, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the help so far. If I've learned on thing it's that ans = CRRRRRRRRRAPPPPPP!

So, I've got it down to the STO/Belsales Angry or if I go the way of adjustable WGP or DYE.

What's so great about adjustable? What do you get to adjust? Trigger length? What?

hubadlatimmy
06-27-2002, 12:34 AM
if you are a total guru and want to get your pull as short as possible the BOMB-3 way is the shortest pull on the market.

The WGP adjustable just came out recently so hasn't had that much time to be tested but from what I have seen from looking at them at the chicago open on the new ORACLE cockers they are NICE I would most definately pick one up if I wasn't selling my cocker.

As for what adjustable does for you I am not 100% sure I don't know as much about cockers as others, just enough to get me by.

Another hint get a hinge frame "eclipse" you won't regret it at all.

Cypres0099
06-27-2002, 12:45 AM
I think I'm going to stay away from the bomb because as I mentioned before, I HATE LEAKING WITH A PASSION!:)

Oh, and here it is right on time.... the "second guessing" my decisions.:rolleyes:

The STO's have a great price, the Hollowpoints are said to be one of teh best and they look great, the Dye's look good too and they're adjustable, and the WGP has a solid name behind it and is also adjustable.

Who knew choosing a 3 way could be so stressful...:p

Ok, I've got an idea, I'll tell all the features I want (even though I don't know what a 3 way does, really) and then maybe someone can tell me which one would be the best for me. I have dragged this thread on long enough.;)

1. This is probably the most important, I want it to be reliable. No leaking, no constant broken orings, no breaking.

2. I want it to be smooth...

3. I wouldn't mind a short trigger pull but if I really wanted that I would use my Emag. So pull shortness isn't a necesity.

4. User friendliness. If there is such a thing...

5. I wouldn't mind if it looked cool.:)

6. Of course performance.

Help me end this now! I need resolution!:p

Temo Vryce
06-27-2002, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Cypres0099

1. This is probably the most important, I want it to be reliable. No leaking, no constant broken orings, no breaking.

4. User friendliness. If there is such a thing...

You want all that in a cocker? #6 I can see if it's setup right and taken care of. #1 and #4 I can't see but then again I've never been a big fan of cocker. As for your 3-way problem. Listen to Mykroft, buy the STO. You'll be happy with it.

mykroft
06-27-2002, 09:57 AM
The adjutsability of the new WGP and DYE 3-ways allows you to muck with the 3-way stroke easily, it's a tinker's thing, which will let you set up the absolute shortest pull, if you don't mind fiddling until you get it right.

The STO/Angry 4-way is a short throw, very reliable, very smooth 4-way, and it uses the same basic body as the WGP Adjustable, so it looks the same. For the $$ it's the best 4-way on the market.

paint magnet
06-27-2002, 10:04 AM
I know nothing about cockers, but AKALMP stuff is supposed to be pretty good, and it's supposed to make the operating pressure lower if you care about that.

banzaimf
06-27-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Cypres0099
...1. This is probably the most important, I want it to be reliable. No leaking, no constant broken orings, no breaking.

Belsales, Palmer, or Professional paintball Bullit 3way

2. I want it to be smooth....

3. I wouldn't mind a short trigger pull but if I really wanted that I would use my Emag. So pull shortness isn't a necesity.

4. User friendliness. If there is such a thing....
Non adjustable.... Belsales, Palmer, or Professional paintball Bullit 3way

5. I wouldn't mind if it looked cool.:)
Belsales Hollowpoint

Help me end this now! I need resolution!:p

Cypres0099
06-27-2002, 12:54 PM
I knew it was likely I couldn't have all that in a cocker but I can dream can't I? :D

As Telefragged said, the Belsales angry is a steal at $14. I think I'm going to go with that and use the extra money on paint.:)

Everyone thanks for helping me out. I no know just a little bit more about cockers.

FatMan
06-27-2002, 03:07 PM
You know nothing about cockers, you haven't gotten it yet, and it needs a new 3-way.

That is a potential problem in the making. A cocker is a REALLY complicated beast. You need to get some detailed information about how it works. I recommend Ravi Choppra's site (you'll have to search on it) because it has a lot of very good very detailed info on cockers. If the 3-way needs to be replaced right now just get one and do nothing else until you have some idea of what you are doing. There are MANY choices for ALL of the parts out there and their COMBINATION can make a huge difference overall in how your marker shoots. In general you should not make a choice for an individual part, but for the whole package.

Any of the valves described here are good. You can also put a stock valve on there and it should work fine. One approach is to get the cheapest thing you can find, and figure you are going to replace it anyway when you decide what to do with the REST of the gun.

In particular, if you get one of the really short 3-ways but you have a stock trigger and frame, you may find it is hard to get timed. The stock valve is longer and the stock trigger does not have a slot where the timing rod goes into the trigger plate. You CAN time it with a short valve like a Quickswitch, but if you are new to cockers, you may be asking for trouble.

A $14 STO 3-way will probably work fine, and if you decide to put all Palmer pneumatics on later, you're only out $14 (plus you have a back-up 3-way).

You need to learn about your new marker before you start messing with it - so start the research.

BTW, I don't mean to scare you, a cocker is a great gun, you just need to understand it before you modify it. Many, many people don't, and get into trouble!

Good luck,

FatMan

Cypres0099
06-27-2002, 05:18 PM
Yes, I was definetly planning on doing some reading. Now I see the STO as being the best choice for me right now just to get it up and running so I can start learning how to use it.

This cocker is looking like it's going to be a little side project for me. That or something to sell if I need the money for my extreme body when they come out.:D

You know what the funny thing is... I posted this in the cocker section of Pbnation and I haven't even gotten a reply. Then I come here and it's been well worked over.

See this isn't JUST a mag forum.