PDA

View Full Version : Did I get a good deal or did I overpay?

StuDawggie
06-27-2002, 04:59 PM
Okay, so on my way home from work today I stop by the local paintball store (A bunch of mag hating SoB's running that place and giving me crap for owning one) to fill up my air tank. So I'm looking around and talking to the owner, and he asks if can help. I said no I'm just looking that's all. So we get on the topic of barrels, and he tells me he's discontinuing ALL Mag stuff cuz "it's a dead gun that no one wants anymore..." But he has a new 12" Stainless Dye Boom for sale and he'd sell it to me for $40 out the door just to get rid of it. So I bought it cuz it I thought it was a good buy. I'm just wondering if I overpaid for the barrell or not. I haven't priced them out so I'm not sure what the going rate for them is. Just wondering what you're opinons are on weather or not I got a good deal or did I pay too much. Also please let me know what you think of the Dye barrels too.
Thanks,
Stu

darklord
06-27-2002, 05:28 PM
question: you said it was a "DYE Stainless boom"... does that mean a DYE stainless steel barrel, or an Ironman boomstick? Either way it's a great deal

RT_Luver
06-27-2002, 05:38 PM
I thik it was a great deal. DYE barrels are REALLY good and if you can find one for 40 buks...awesome. if DYE made a style of the Freak, I would buy it over the smart parts freak. maybe they should, that'd be a good idea for them

old mag man
06-27-2002, 06:46 PM
want to sell?? Had to ask!!!

AcemanPB
06-27-2002, 08:15 PM
yeah i'm with mag man, i was just about to order this exact barrel, soo i'll gladly take that off your hands if you don't want it :)

StuDawggie
06-27-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by darklord
question: you said it was a "DYE Stainless boom"... does that mean a DYE stainless steel barrel, or an Ironman boomstick? Either way it's a great deal

It's a Dye stainless not an ironman boom...Sorry about the confusion.

BTW the guy at the store during the mag bashing said that the Benchmark 45 2finger trigger grip has caused some problems with ball breakage and chopping. Just wondering if anyone has heard of or has had that problem with that grip.

Also to answer the question of will I sell my barrel? To put it simply and bluntly NO!!!! I got a good deal from a mag bashing store owner, and it was the last Mag barrel in the store.

blackmag3
06-27-2002, 09:23 PM
yeah i've had the problem with a benchmark 2 finger trigger frame. it made me short stroke alot cause of all the trigger slop. it's sloppy in all 4 directions which is sad and it doesnt fit 45 grip covers without cutting them first. dont buy a benchmark grip. get the i frame cause its so much better than the benchmark that i cant do it justice with words.

Wc Keep
06-27-2002, 09:56 PM
ive used the benchmark double and its worked fine for me. my friend who also had a mag used a benchy 2x and didnt have problems with it either.

Hexis
06-27-2002, 10:30 PM
Benchmark = crud. Avoid at all costs. The only folks that like em are the ones that have not tried a I-Frame (or even a DYE 2x).

J
06-27-2002, 11:15 PM
A friend of mine I ran into at the field had a Benchy on his mag, I have a Dye 2x on mine. Him and his friend said they like my triggerpull than the Benchy's. That's the only experiance I've had with them :rolleyes:

Polishpickles451
06-27-2002, 11:16 PM
that's a great deal on that barrel - personally, I don't like the DYE barrels at all (BOA forever!!!) but that's a sweet price.
All my local stores stopped selling mag stuff 2 years ago. I got the last mag barrel too, a brand new BOA snakebite for $20, including o rings and nubbin. :D

Cliffio
06-28-2002, 02:43 AM
any price you pay to support your local store if a fair one

SUPPORT LOCAL STORES!!!

cliff

ShooterJM
06-28-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Cliffio
any price you pay to support your local store if a fair one

SUPPORT LOCAL STORES!!!

cliff

Ok, I'm 100% for supporting local stores. However. If everytime I walk into the store I'm mocked for my choice of marker, my price inflation tolerance decreases. Especially when the store has rather inflated prices (ie black magic cockers no box, been fired and fondled by countless customers, etc for $1,000. Why should I give an extra $250 for what could be a used marker? $6 for a 14oz CO2 fill, fine. $5 for a tube, fine. $8.99 for 100 paintballs, fine. Combine that with the fact the he refuses to order nubbins or foamies or barrels for me? Not gonna do it. I'll go online until I find another proshop.

MCollier
06-28-2002, 10:35 AM
I have a Benchmark mainly cuz it came in a deal with my gun. It has a pretty long trigger pull and when the gun is gassed up there is still alot of trigger play. Ive never tried an intelli but I imagine its nicer. Still I can really lay down the paint with my Benchmark 2x. I dont have problems with short stroking either, thats just learning the trigger you use. If you can get one cheap id go for it, but if your looking at full price just get an intelli.

Ryknow
11-19-2002, 11:30 AM
I used to use a benchy 2x until I got my Z-Grip, but I could lay down some paint w/ that Benchy...I outshot my 12 volt revvy many times...I would say if u got the money go for a Z...I can pull 18 BPS w/ a ReTro valve and lvl 10...if u want a benchy w/ dye stickies on it, I'll sell you mine for $35 shipped...

digitard
11-19-2002, 11:37 AM
Luckily,
Out here in AZ ... The cocker/spyder/etc are what most stores carry parts for but EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM has mag parts .... they aren't in the largest quantities, but they know the Mag is one of the top guns and they stock the high end stuff for them and various barrels (I went to 3 paintball stores a few weeks ago and everyone had the parts I was looking for). You'll still find new mags showcased on the walls and everything .... HOORAY arizona!

Oh, and yeah ... thats a good deal, lucky you.

Sincerely,
Dave K

Cliffio
11-19-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Ryknow
I can pull 18 BPS w/ a ReTro valve and lvl 10

and then you woke up

Oddball
11-19-2002, 01:56 PM
Why do Mich. stores hate mags? I heard the same thing over the summer when i played a 5 man at TC paintball (near Lake Mich, 1/2 way up the state. Out of 11 or 12 teams, only one mag used not including the 4 e-mags on my team. And all we heard from the ppl I knew there was that the local players would give us crap for using mags.

The barrel seems like a good deal, but SS dye barrels are heavy. I had a bentchmark 2x frame on a retro for a while and liked it alot, until i got an I-frame. An I-frame just feels better, with a crisper (sp?) pull. No slop in the trigger.

ben_JD
11-19-2002, 03:55 PM
Why use the "\" so much?

Vendetta
11-19-2002, 04:58 PM
What is going on with these stores and Mag stuff? I've been too lots of stores in NY and LA and can't find decent parts. They all tell me they are not carrying them anymore. Sound very fishy to me. Like when places are payed not to carry Coke/Pepsi. Is this going on here?

AcemanPB
11-19-2002, 05:15 PM
My local store doesn't stock mag parts because they are gas hogs... :rolleyes:

Yet he owns a shocker.. :confused:

Sinistarr
11-19-2002, 11:23 PM
I must be lucky, all of the local stores I frequent have mag parts and support mags. Even the fields I play at usually have parts or at least can loan me something from their private stash if needed.

Great price on the Barrel!!

G