PDA

View Full Version : phantom vsc vs. sterling stp

the jackal
06-27-2002, 08:23 PM
I've been doing some research on both these pumps and I just can't decide which one would be better to buy, if anyone has any experience with either/both I would like to hear what you think.

rjvemt1
06-27-2002, 08:58 PM
i dont have personal exerience with the sterling, i do know its reputation. its got great rep, probably second only to a carter. however, with the phantom, which is also a very good gun and customer service is handled by the guy who acctually makes em, you sill have stock class eligability.the horizontal feed tube and 12 gram setup ar required for stock class, in my personnal opinion stock class is the only way to go!

Rocp15126
06-28-2002, 12:02 AM
correct me if I am wrong, but the sterling is made in Europe. I heard that people have a hard time getting/ordering parts, barrels, etc. Other than that it has a great reputation. Personally, I think I would go for the Phantom.

RocP15126

Sledgehammer
06-28-2002, 05:58 AM
Sterlings are really nice guns!!!

I never shot a Phantom...

BTW, yes, the Sterling is made in Europe.
I never had problems getting parts - which is probably because I'm in Europe too ;)

Muzikman
06-28-2002, 07:38 AM
I own both and both are great guns, but I just LOVE the Sterling. As someone said, parts are hard to find and the last time I had to order parts I have to get them from Austrilia. I would go with the Phantom just because of the availability of parts. Might I also suggest a Sniper II. They are nice guns, pretty decent priced, and smooth pump stroke. And besides, you can convert it to a Cocker:)

Jeb_Hoge
06-28-2002, 09:23 AM
The Phantom VSC is a stock-class gun while the Sterling is not. As for preference...wow, that's a tough call. I've owned at least one of each, and both are lightweight, very smooth, shoot beautifully, and are very well built. Both can be fieldstripped without tools in under a minute. I'd pick the Phantom over the Sterling just based on availability of the guns themselves, not aftermarket support. The only aftermarket part that the Sterling *needs* is a regulator to allow easy velocity adjustment, and Palmer's can do a workover on the gun that just puts the finishing touch on a near-perfect design. The Phantom is the same...a reg is a nice finishing touch, but you can pull a Phantom from its box when it arrives at your door, add paint and CO2, and play with the thing.

If you can find a nice Sterling for under $150, go for it. Otherwise, grab a Phantom. Either one will serve you well.

the jackal
06-28-2002, 03:13 PM
Thanks for your input guys. I think I'll go with the phantom since I can get a vert feed breech and use it for stock plus a regular pump. Who knows maybe in time I'll own both:)