PDA

View Full Version : Switching to HPA

Psycho
06-29-2002, 01:16 PM
Last March I bought a 68 Classic w/powerfeed and now I just ordered a Crossfire 68/4500 tank. I should receive it any day now. Is there anything that I need to do to the gun itself to make it compatible, or shoot well, with HPA?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Load SM5
06-29-2002, 02:08 PM
Not really. Did you run it off of CO2 for a while?

xmetal2001
06-30-2002, 12:50 AM
You dont need to make any changes in order to run your mag with HPA. In fact, you SHOULDN"T make any changes to your valve, aftermarket parts merely decrease performance.

If you've been running on CO2 sometimes its a good idea to replace the seals in your valve, you might want to pick up a parts kit. But unless your having problems, dont worry about it.

Psycho
06-30-2002, 11:25 AM
I've been using CO2 and have had problems with liquid even though I've got an expansion chamber and an anti siphon tube installed. I have replaced some of the o-rings in anticipation of the HPA.
Thanks for the info.

mykroft
06-30-2002, 12:54 PM
The only recomendation I have is to swap the expansion chamber with a gas-thru grip. Expansion chambers can lead to mild shootdown when running HPA. I personally had good luck with mine, but I have seen preoblems on other's setups.

codeJockey
06-30-2002, 05:33 PM
Kill the expansion chamber. Also, you can find a replacement 'HPA' cylinder for the Mag's regulator at a number of online stores for about $20... Don't buy one! They are completely unnecessary. The stock 'Mag is a thing of beauty on HPA. Enjoy...

SqueegeeKid
06-30-2002, 07:17 PM
I had problems with my SmartMag's consistency being whacky once i changed from CO2 to HPA. AGD sent me a newer reg piston designed for HPA.

Now my SmartMag is somewhat of a forgotten dinosaur, so that might not apply for you, especially if its a newer Mag. Maybe the AGD tech guy suckered me into getting a new piston, but it's fixed now so i believe him.