PDA

View Full Version : Cocker Problems - Misfiring

Kevmag
07-01-2002, 10:19 AM
My brother shoots a cocker and this weekend he was mis-firing quite a bit when rapid firing. For example, on a 5 shot string, he would have 1 mis-fire.

His marker is a stock Vert. Feed 2k2. This is the first day he played with it, though he has shot it in the backyard.

My thoughts are he is short-stroking or outshooting his revy (which seems unlikely). He mentioned something about the timing in the manual, but I rather not fool with it as it is practically right out of the box. I think he just needs to practice with that weird trigger (slide) and get used to it.

Any ideas?

Twin_Tables
07-01-2002, 11:14 AM
Well as it's true right out of the box, it should be timed perfectly, but there are mistakes. Do you hear a pop when it happens? If so, then most likly he is just short stroking. It does take a while to get used to a slide trigger and if that is his problem then he should look into buying a hinge or some sort of swing trigger. Your better off with a hinge though because if my memory serves me right, it takes out the need for the springs in the trigger pack and make it vertually impossible to short stroke.(or at least you shouldn't be able too) But you are right to not want to mess with it to check the timming if you don't need to. I would almost say that 9.5 out of 10 cocker owners never take their gun apart to clean it properly and don't know how to time it either. That is a very valuable thing to learn. And if you do ever take your cocker apart, I'd suggest investing in some Titanium rods. I've seen too many people take theirs apart with the stock rods and when they do, it bends and Titanium should never bend so that would be a good investment as well. Be aware of the powder coating on the inside as well on these 2k2's, a few of my teamates bought them and the powder coatin on the inside started to come off and stick in the valve and cause a major leak. Hope that helps you a little bit.

InvisibleBill
07-01-2002, 11:57 AM
greetings...the hinge trigger has less wear'n'tear then the sliding trigger (more points of contact with the sliding trigger). I don't know almost anything about cockers, but a Bonebrake Airsmith told me this (Have you played with a bonebrake cocker? those things are SWEET!). Anyway, hope you fix your problem, Rock on IB.

TRIAD
07-01-2002, 07:13 PM
It could be the recock pressure, I dno how to adjust it on the stock pneu reg, but with the Rock all you do is twist it :D

jeffaah
07-01-2002, 09:18 PM
I am a big fan of a lot of marker. I own mag,cockers,angel,timmy,tippmann etc. Iuse them all. A cocker sould work perfectly and be timed correctly out of the box. BUT i have sold a $1200 Orracle and it was NOT timed out of the box. I had to time it. If you boughtthe cocker from a store the they should sell you a working marker. I check all markers i sell and time them (or whatever else) if i have to. Take it back and have them look it over. If you bought i off the internt thm take it to a local shop and have them look at it, you may becharged some money but not much

mykroft
07-01-2002, 10:01 PM
pull the trigger slowly, if it doesn't fire *Before* the back-block moves, it's mistimed. This is the usual trouble with newer cockers (Hinge triggers & non-slotted slides).

If that's the problem, blowback will cause feeding issues, and it will occasionally not engage the hammer.

The other possibility is it's timed to shoot too early, so the sear is slipping.

It should be timed to fire just enough before the recock that it would suck a bit of tissue into the gun, and fire it out the barrel

Kevmag
07-01-2002, 10:03 PM
Thanks alot for your help! This is exactly the info I was looking for. Kevin

Kevmag
07-02-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by mykroft
pull the trigger slowly, if it doesn't fire *Before* the back-block moves, it's mistimed. This is the usual trouble with newer cockers (Hinge triggers & non-slotted slides)...

I fired around a hundred shots through it and more dry fires. The back block moves as the marker is fired...

I was unable to get it to misfire in my short test. I'll try to fire more shots through it later.

mykroft
07-03-2002, 12:30 PM
Ok, if the marker fires at the same time as the back block moving, you are going to have to shorten the hammer lug, this is done via the hole on op of the marker, in the sight rail (Remove bolt first).

The problem he is experiencing could either be misfires due to sear skip, or feed issues from blowback, both would be cause by the same thing.

pete-is-god17
07-03-2002, 04:22 PM
if he has a 12 volt revvy you can emliminate that he is outshooting it. cockers will only keep up with 10 bps withought noticeable shootdown.

Polishpickles451
07-03-2002, 06:39 PM
this is all i can say ...
as i spent $900 on a KAPP cocker and the agony must have taken years of my lifespan.
the pic says it all

Brendan
07-04-2002, 11:47 AM
if the timing is set too close then dont just adjust the sear lug up, but instead adjust the 3(4) way out. His problem is either one of two things:
1. Sear lug skip
a. remove bolt, insert either 3mm or 1/8 allen wrench(it varies) into top of marker, and slide down into the hammer (you may have to fiddle a little with the hammer to get the allen wrench into the lug hole). Then turn right a little bit to lower the lug. Doing this will make the lug more exposed and less likely for the sear not to catch on the hammer. Summed up : it will skip less

2. front reg pressure set too low
a. Remove lp hose going into front block reg. Unscrew the reg from the front block. Insert flathead screwdriver into the adjustable end of the stock front block reg. Turn counter clockwise to incease pressure (its the opposite of most popular regs). Go in 1/4 turn increments. Put teflon tape, or some blue loctite on the reg threads and screw back on the marker. Re-attach the lp hose.