PDA

View Full Version : trajectory of mags?

Fluffy
07-01-2002, 10:10 PM
i am curious as to how the trajectory of a mag is, is it flat, or does it lob paint, be as detailed as u can. thx
compare it to another gun if possible. (i currently shoot angels)

RT_Luver
07-01-2002, 10:24 PM
its an arc

Army
07-01-2002, 10:27 PM
If you hold it by the barrel, then with a full swing of your arm and a flick of your wrist at the apogee during the power stage of the throw...your gun will fly very straight, and get terrific range.

No gun shoots flatter or farther or more accurate than another. That's fact, that's truth, that's reality, that's physics.....and that's that:)

FactsOfLife
07-01-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Army
If you hold it by the barrel, then with a full swing of your arm and a flick of your wrist at the apogee during the power stage of the throw...your gun will fly very straight, and get terrific range.

No gun shoots flatter or farther or more accurate than another. That's fact, that's truth, that's reality, that's physics.....and that's that:)

army gets a big HOOAH! for that post...

mykroft
07-01-2002, 10:57 PM
same as it ever was. The gun doesn't affect trajectory, physics does.

manike
07-02-2002, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Army

LMAO! I have to remember that one... :)

manike

Cristobal
07-02-2002, 10:42 AM
Nice Army :D

Since you want details though... the trajectory of the paintball after it leaves the barrel will be determined by the action of three forces on it: drag from air resistance (heh, you try flying into a ~300fps headwind ;) ); the pull of gravity (which will accelerate it towards the earth at about 32 ft/sec^2); and perhaps, spin imparted to the ball as it was shot. The third force will only have a consistent noticeable effect when the marker uses a mechanism to put significant spin backspin on the ball (ie a flatline barrel system or z-body mag).

Any two normal markers shooting paintballs at 300fps from smooth tubes at the same angle of elevation should have statistically the same trajectories.

paint magnet
07-02-2002, 11:18 AM
So, according to physics, a Stingray with a 14" Boomstick will have the same trajectory as an Autococker with a 14" Boomstick if they shoot the same paint at the same pressure at the same velocity?

Bob Mundon
07-02-2002, 11:45 AM
yes

but the stingray is nowhere near as consistant as the cocker, so your groups would be tighter with the cocker.

really, the only thing the gun itself does to increase accuracy is consistancy. and elves

and army, simply great post

dark_link85
07-02-2002, 12:11 PM
true but everybody knows that a shocker shoots the farthest

TITAN
07-02-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by dark_link85
true but everybody knows that a shocker shoots the farthest

i hope your joking! no gun shoots more accuratly or further than another gun with similar conditions! all guns will shoot the same!

Bob Mundon
07-02-2002, 12:33 PM
unless its those elves again

FatMan
07-02-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Cristobal
and perhaps, spin imparted to the ball as it was shot. The third force will only have a consistent noticeable effect when the marker uses a mechanism to put significant spin backspin on the ball (ie a flatline barrel system or z-body mag).

Spin can have significant impact regardless of the direction or source. The amount of spin is the key - the direction will determine what it does to the trajectory.

Most normal markers with a normal barrel shooting normal paint under normal characteristics don't exhibit enough spin to matter. The two systems noted attempt to introduce spin specifically to flatten the trajectory and do so with mixed success.

FatMan

Slapp
07-02-2002, 05:07 PM
Army... LOL great post.

I'm assuming that the original post question with trajectory really amounts to concern with accuracy at distance. Accuracy at distance can also be effected by recoil although this is likely to have minimal effect compared to all the other variables when playing.

Shocker marker bodies have a lot of mass therefore the recoil is less pronounced on them because this mass tends to resist the jittering caused by bolt recoil. This is more a consistency issue than a trajectory issue.

Fluffy
07-02-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Slapp
Army... LOL great post.

I'm assuming that the original post question with trajectory really amounts to concern with accuracy at distance. Accuracy at distance can also be effected by recoil although this is likely to have minimal effect compared to all the other variables when playing.

Shocker marker bodies have a lot of mass therefore the recoil is less pronounced on them because this mass tends to resist the jittering caused by bolt recoil. This is more a consistency issue than a trajectory issue.

thank u this is exactly what i was looking for. i agree that no gun is more accurate than the next under ideal conditions. but some guns do seem more accurate than others no doubt.some guns seem to give a flatter trajectory, and this is what i was talking about i was not talking about accuracy at all.

thank u slapp for awnsering the question i asked instead of treating me like an idiot. i did take physics class, i may not have been an A+ student in it but i know the basics =)

Miscue
07-02-2002, 06:22 PM
Yeah, some guns have flatter trajectories... guns shooting hot. :)

Perception... they all the same, don't be confused.

MrShutter
07-02-2002, 06:55 PM
Lol, I'm kinda late on this one but good one Army...