PDA

View Full Version : Hpa Or Nitrogen For Air America Raptor?????

MagManOne
07-02-2002, 04:14 PM
:confused:

I'm considering buying an Air America Raptor, but I recently heard from a friend that it only accepts certain types of air. I just thought all the types of air are basically the same, and can be used interchangeably in all tanks. Or else nitro, air, HPA, and nitrogen are all the same thing, just with different names. He said that Raptors can only get HighPressureAir (HPA) from scuba tanks or something. Which air source can Raptors receive the air from? Someone please straighten me out so I can check with local pro shops before buying! Thanks.

S14-Racer
07-02-2002, 04:39 PM
I am pretty sure the rapt can take both, I cant see any reason why it wouldnt. Nitro and nitrogen are the same gas just nitro is short for nitrogen. The same is true for High Pressure Air or aka simply air, the stuff we breath just highly compressed (with contains nitrogen as well as many other gasses).

Nitrogen comes from a local welding supply in large high pressure tanks, where as air is compressed through a large compressor into a tank. You should be fine.

MagManOne
07-02-2002, 05:12 PM
Any other explanations from Raptor owners?

RetroEclipseMan
07-02-2002, 05:49 PM
My friend had a raptor system and he used both so I dont' think you have anything to worry about.And good luck.

Hexis
07-02-2002, 06:03 PM
I have a couple AA Apoc setups. You have to remember that "air" is actually about 80% nitrogen.

I have yet to see a place that fills with pure nitrogen. Everywhere I have been (which is not all that many places) has High Pressure Air (HPA). Tho I wouldn't worry about filling any HPA/Nitrogen tank with either.

codeJockey
07-02-2002, 07:12 PM
Because air is mostly nitrogen, they both have (largely) the same thermodynamic qualities. This implies that they have similar, if not identical, properties when under pressure. Therefore one may infer that the terms HPA and Nitro(gen) are interchangeable in the context of pressurized containment.

MagManOne
07-02-2002, 10:36 PM
That was my assumption, but I didn't want to be stupid assuming air sources were different. :D I thought it was odd that it wouldn't take one air source or the other, even though all air sources are basically the same. My friend probably didn't know what he was talkin bout. :rolleyes: Thanks guys, that helped my decision.

S14-Racer
07-04-2002, 03:02 PM
Hexis the field I go to fills off of pure nitrogen tanks. In fact they get there tanks from the same place I get my CO2/Argon tank filled for my mig.

The only reason I think they would do that is because the intitial investment is cheaper (although they have been there for I dont know how many years now) to just rent the Nitrogen tanks and fill em, vs buying hpa tanks and a compressor, then having to rehydro them, and maintain the compressor. Nitrogen is a very low maintenance way to go for fills.

[M@g_D@ddy]
07-05-2002, 01:23 AM
fill it w/ air, nitro, whatever, just not co2. and not hydrogen either, that'd be bad.

paintbattler
07-05-2002, 11:07 AM
it'll work w/ both..but if i were u, i would get a pmi pure energy 68ci 4.5k

MagManOne
07-05-2002, 11:20 AM
Why is that? Obviously I'd guess size, but why else...