PDA

View Full Version : Tom Kaye on Crappy Dial Up in Wyoming

AGD
07-02-2002, 05:31 PM
AO,

I am on the worst dial up connection in the world out here in the wild west. It is so bad I am going to cut off my fingers pretty soon!

I am monitoring the forum every day but actually opening up a thread can take several minutes. Because of this I am only reading the really important ones like the LVL10 feedback thread. I will jump in and post if needed to solve problems but beyond that I am likely to be fairly silent.

Have no fear I'm still here!!

AGD

cphilip
07-02-2002, 05:35 PM
Have fun Tom! Bring us back a biggun!
:D

FutureMagOwner
07-02-2002, 05:45 PM
you can disable things like pics and things on the forum and disable pics, sound, and alot of stuff so it loads faster(i used to have to do this with my crappy windows millenium edition so it wouldnt crash as often as after opening up the dsl connection)

FreshmanBob
07-02-2002, 06:32 PM
TOOOOM

If you can, get a cable connection. It's amaaaaaazing.
*posts this in a split second*
WOOSH!

Buckwheat
07-02-2002, 06:44 PM
It is no use for me to try to get in on an on-line contest when AGD has them. Dial up is the only thing we have out here in the sticks.

paintbattler
07-02-2002, 06:55 PM
man, my 56k is fast

nutz
07-02-2002, 07:57 PM
haha tom sounds like a great time.

now u know how its like to access pbnation much of the time

billmi
07-02-2002, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by FreshmanBob
TOOOOM

If you can, get a cable connection. It's amaaaaaazing.
*posts this in a split second*
WOOSH!

It's often difficult to get the cable guy to come out and set you up with a broadband connection on a peleontological dig site.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

shartley
07-02-2002, 08:26 PM
Satellite! ;)

G-Rexx
07-02-2002, 08:34 PM
Replace the hamster with several rats on a really BIG wheel!!! :p

boggerman
07-02-2002, 08:50 PM
Tom, where in Wyoming are you, and how long will you be there? I am just curious as I live in western Colorado, and wouldn't be to far away, depending on where exactly you are.

RT_Luver
07-02-2002, 09:02 PM
believe it or not, my cable used to suk.....then all of a sudden....SHABAM, it works like a dream. realy funny...but I like it

DiRTyBuNNy
07-02-2002, 09:27 PM
Well..my DSL is pretty darn fast...(usually in the 700's)..but I've got a 2Wire Home Portal..and the sucker keeps stealing my IP and giving it to the other 'puter on the network...i'm still trading emails with the manufacturers on how the heck it happened..oh well....so..Tom..find any Dino's?

MagKoko
07-02-2002, 11:14 PM
I hate cable. Really, it's bad! DSL! Come to papa!

BTAutoMag
07-02-2002, 11:30 PM
cant be any worse then my 14k (14 Krappy pieces of worthless circuitry) modem. i literaly click on something and go and do something else until the page loads. during the time this page loaded that i am typing on now i went and dug my cd player out from under my bed, found my headphones, and got halfway through a song.

liigod
07-03-2002, 12:06 AM
remembe to turn off sigs and all those bandwith eating things.

ShooterJM
07-03-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by boggerman
Tom, where in Wyoming are you, and how long will you be there? I am just curious as I live in western Colorado, and wouldn't be to far away, depending on where exactly you are.

I was wondering the same thing. I go up to Wyo every few weeks. Nice to see someone else from colorado though, was thinking I was the only one.

FutureMagOwner
07-03-2002, 09:50 AM
man what rate does your dsl d/l things at when its going full power because mine isnt really that fast based on what they say.(i d/l at about 60kbs or less its annoying)

WickeDKlowN
07-03-2002, 09:53 AM
im on56k, and i get 6kbps for a second or 2 every once in a while, usually im at like 3 or below.

I know this has nothing to do with internet, but my computer(1.2ghz Athlon) literally takes 10-15 mins to boot up and get AOL to open(not connect).

j.t.
07-03-2002, 11:31 AM
The Roadrunner cable guys say my connection is supposed to run at about 2MB's per second... I have yet to seen it top 800kbps.

boggerman
07-03-2002, 12:31 PM
Hey Shooter, where do you play in Denver? I have been thinking about dragging a few of my buddies over there and playing some weekend. We have no outdoor fields here and one crappy indoor field. Maybe we can meet somewhere and do a Colorado AO meet and greet like everybody else here is doing, only there would just be two or three of us.:)

iisp0tii
07-03-2002, 12:39 PM
WickeDKlowN i know what you mean

ShooterJM
07-03-2002, 12:42 PM
Bogg-

Mostly I play at American Paintball Coliseum, It's right off of I-70 and Wynkoop. Really close to denver coliseum. They have two indoor fields and a 250 chronny. I'm probably gonna look around and try an outdoor field though. Probably paintball adventures, although i've heard they're paint is like $80 a case and field fee is $25. Seems a bit pricey for an outdoor field, but I'll get more info. Yeah, we should see if there are any others from Wyoming or Colorado.

Brian68mag
07-03-2002, 01:11 PM
Where are you in wyoming lol, im in laramie and i feel the pain too, im 200 ms from my first hop :D i ping about 500 to everything and cant download more then 2 k/sec.
If your digging for bones your probably associated with UW im assuming as our geology department is great. LOL you know your in the wild west when your town has a cattle drive through it and people watch it hahaha.
Well if your ever in laramie/cheyanne/rawlins lemme know :D

Jonno06
07-03-2002, 01:23 PM
wow,and i thought my 37kbps temp. dial up service was slow....

my DSL arrives July 8th,yay!!

Army
07-03-2002, 02:27 PM
*meeeemmreeeeeeeeess* I had my first barfight in Rawlins, at the Holiday Inn on the east side of town. We later found out that in Rawlins, street brawling was more popular than football! Go south of town, there will be a microwave tower at the edge of the mesa, north of what I think was a gravel pit. I put that up!

Oh yeah.....I kicked his hiney and broke his jaw......after he broke my nose:) Two days later we were buying each other a beer:D

FutureMagOwner
07-03-2002, 03:42 PM
so your saying i should have better than 60 kbs on my verizon dsl line?(we pay 40 a month which apparently figures into how good of a dsl you get mine is somewhere in the middle supposedly) is there a way to make it faster?

Brian68mag
07-03-2002, 05:02 PM
ROFLMFAO ARMY
oh man thats funny. Maybe ill check that out sometime when im out of things to do. Fights are common in laramie too, except alot of them are resulting in more serious outcomes, ouch.
Still waiting for a reply from Tom :)

FutureMagOwner
07-03-2002, 05:08 PM
lol yeah im not waiting for tom

Brian68mag
07-03-2002, 10:47 PM
bump

pbguy888
07-03-2002, 10:57 PM
My aunt was on a dig with tom one time! No kidding . I asked her about him and he said the guy with the goofy mustache and I laughed hard!:p

billmi
07-08-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by shartley
Satellite! ;)

It sounds good on paper, but the one person I know who's gone that route is not very positive about her experiences with it. The bandwidth numbers listed in the advertising aren't what she's getting on a regular basis - and the bandwidth bottoms out when clouds pass between the antenna and the satellite - signal fully lost in storms. Add to that that the main providers require that you pay one of their techs to install it on site, and it's not as cool as one would hope :-( (I've followed it as I originally wanted to make a dish mount on my Jeep roof-rack and put the receiver, a gateway, and a wireless hub inside running off an inverter, so as long as my notebook was within wireless LAN range of the Jeep I'd get the speed).

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

cphilip
07-08-2002, 10:25 AM
Yes! I have satellite and for us boonies people it's our only option. No way we are gonna see Cable or DSL ever.

Bandwidth? Well it's a far cry better than dial up. Far FAR cry better. Around 600 kps download and 60 up actual during the slow times. Bill is right they did early on over sell the fastest speeds which you rarely get. Double that. But it leaves your phone free. And you are live all the time and can have a network for multiple computers without any slow down. And rememeber us in the Sticks rarly have good phone lines either so many of us never see above 26K with a dial up.

But beware they all are losing money. Mine (Starband)is in chapter 11 and the other one is still doing alright but propped up by Direct TV. DirectWay Sattelie being your only option if thats the case. I will warn Directway two way has the down side of limiting you to 400 megs a day or they will throttle you down to 56K for the rest of the day. Most can live with that.

Cloud fade...no not from my experience and in fact not much rain fade either. Heavy storms yes but not as bad to do it as Satellite TV. The signal ability is better than your Satellite TV is. But sure it will if its realy stormy. You lose it until the storm passes away from your SE.

But as an option it's not the best if you can get cable or DSL but for many of us out in the sticks this is our only option for any speed at all.

ShooterJM
07-08-2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by billmi
(I've followed it as I originally wanted to make a dish mount on my Jeep roof-rack and put the receiver, a gateway, and a wireless hub inside running off an inverter, so as long as my notebook was within wireless LAN range of the Jeep I'd get the speed).
See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

Um... on behalf of everyone in the world who telecommutes to work (or like me, who want's to)....that would absolutely RULE!

cphilip
07-08-2002, 10:40 AM
Oh Bill, the reason you have to pay an installer is they have to be FCC licensed by Law to put these in. These senders are pretty darn powerfull. Suposed to be capable of killing small animals within 2 feet! Microwaves I think. So you could be mobile communicatiing and heat up a redi-meal or pick up some camp meat real fast at the same time!!!! Cool huh? :D

And in fact with all the Squirrel damage to my sweet corn the past few years I am giving serious thought to hanging a Squirrel Feeder on mine! :eek:

But it's not realy that hard to become an installer. In fact many of our real outlanders had to do that to get them. There are a few in Alaska that did this in order to get them in. I got some info on it if you decide to do it. LMK.

the123
07-08-2002, 10:41 AM
I could see that as a commercial now. A guy gets into his SUV, climbs a mountain with it, aims his dish, and "goes to work".

deepcover
07-08-2002, 12:04 PM
Satellite is great, except for Latency. Even atthe speed of light, the Satellite is far enough away that it induces latency. Works perfect for a webpage, but not so perfect for CounterStrike.