PDA

View Full Version : loctite

andrew51
07-02-2002, 08:16 PM
how long does it take for that stuff to dry?

paintbattler
07-02-2002, 08:19 PM
i wouldnt use it..im not a fan of it

Schnitzel
07-02-2002, 08:34 PM
10-15 minutes

andrew51
07-02-2002, 09:04 PM
jeez, i put the stuff on 4 hours ago and it isnt dry yet!!!mabey its the heat

LawFox32
07-02-2002, 09:14 PM
but it in the fridge it will dry a lot quicker, cuz heat is what makes it soft and wet/undry, I guess, but hey it makes a seal w/in a few minutes, cuz I had a leak on my set-up one time and it was on a fitting or something and I just put it on and then turned on the gas and it was still leakin so I tapped it a few times and turned the fitting in a lil more and it sealed right up

MikeCouves
07-02-2002, 09:18 PM
Drying? Just use silicone tape, teflon tape. Works just as good as doesn't need to dry.

StuDawggie
07-02-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by andrew51
jeez, i put the stuff on 4 hours ago and it isnt dry yet!!!mabey its the heat

Depending on where you're at, it could be the humidity...

Spaceman613
07-02-2002, 10:40 PM
well, if you use a lot it will take a while, you dont need much. What type did you use? most loctite is good in about an hour, and full cure is within 24. Use blue for most things, and purple for small screws. DO NOT use red unless you want to get smacked. Green is good, but a lil goes a LONG way.

I use it on everything, but you have to select the correct type for your application. What did you use it on, and what type?

damageinc54
07-03-2002, 03:03 AM
God I just love to read loctite threads!!!!! Loctite makes a primer that I highly suggest using. It helps prepare the part and it makes it dry much faster. You have left out many important facts such as what you are trying to loctite and which type you used. I am a Machinist and I work with the loctite every day so I can help you out.

BlackVCG
07-03-2002, 03:12 AM
Keep in mind Loctite makes a wide array of products which are NOT all thread locking agents. If you're trying to seal an air line, use 592 (personal favorite) or 545 (for all the other AGD techs).

sniper1rfa
07-03-2002, 06:48 AM
actually, the only thing that keeps loc-tite soft is air. it dries with lack of air. therefore, if your using it on a fitting, it will dry faster if you tighten the fitting down good.

red loc-tite is good for many things that will never need adjusting or will never need to be taken apart. maybe sealing half of a hole after drilling a manifold .

blue is good multi purpose loctite for screw over maybe a #8 or so.

purple is good multi purpose thread-locker for under a #8

green is just sketchy.

Temo Vryce
07-03-2002, 07:36 AM
You'll want to let it sit for 24 hrs before using the item in question. As for Teflon tape, it doesn't have the PSI rating that Loctite does. I think it's less than 200 PSI. Do you really want to put that on your reg for your 4500 PSI N2 bottle?

Thordic
07-03-2002, 07:36 AM
Yeah, Loctite is an Anaerobic sealant. It dries in the absense of air, and stays a liquid when in contact with air. Makes it good for paintball because if any gets inside your gun, it shouldnt dry into little clumps.

I use Loctite 545 personally. It goes on a reddish purple, and dries to a dark red. (Not to be confused with the red loctite threadlocker, which goes on bright red and dries bright red).

545 is LocTite's pneumatic sealant. It'll work on threads for systems up to 10,000 PSI or somewhere in that range, I believe. It's more than enough to seal paintball threads. It also doesn't lock the threads, so when you need to take that fitting off all it takes is an adjustable wrench and a tad of torque. Red or Blue loctite, or any other kind for that matter, besides being hard to remove (which will probably damage threads), may not hold up to pressure as well. I usually let it dry for 24 hours on something like a fill nipple or your tanks HP guage. I'll give anything else a few hours. Note that the stuff that isn't inside the threads won't dry. You will get a little "puddle" that gets forced out when you screw the fitting in right around the fitting. Just wipe that off with a rag or something.

MikeCouves
07-03-2002, 08:08 AM
Actually I have been using Teflon Tape for years now and so has everyone else that I know around here and it has NEVER failed me once. And it's dirt cheap too, you can pick it up for like 50 cents.

legion
07-03-2002, 09:17 AM
The only problem with using teflon tape is you have to make sure you know what you're doing when you put it on. If you put it on improperly it could shred into your air system, and mess up the internals on valving and whatever. For loctite, that isnt a concern (though you should still know what you're doing when you use it). The other thing is, depending on what type of marker you're using, applying teflon tape to any of the airfittings can void your warranty (i know this is true on impulses, dont know which other guns)

Legion

MikeCouves
07-03-2002, 09:36 AM
I see. Is the other loctite stuff expensive.

andrew51
07-03-2002, 10:27 AM
oh man, i used the red stuff!!!!oh well at least i dont need to take the part off anytime soon. I just put a lapco verticle adaptor on my gun and it comes with two ports-one for the gas line and the other for a guage-didnt have or want a guage so i just put one of those blocker things in and used the loctite on it

Polishpickles451
07-03-2002, 11:35 AM
wow so wrong about the PSI rating. Tefon tape seal anything. I have it on the fill nipple of my flatline tank, no leaks ever. I have it on all my macro fittings, and SS lines on my other guns, no leaks. It's easy to use, and cheap to buy, and doens't make you smell like loctite does.

hitech
07-03-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by legion
The other thing is, depending on what type of marker you're using, applying teflon tape to any of the airfittings can void your warranty...

It does NOT on AGD products. I asked Tom what to use on the high pressure fittings on my flatline and he said teflon tape. :D