PDA

View Full Version : Why was I banned?

einhander
07-03-2002, 08:19 PM
This is einhander619, apparently my other account was disabled somehow. Who did this, and why? That's a fine way to treat someone who tries to be an ambassador for this site, mags, and AGD in general everytime I gas up my RT. I'm a little upset about this, and would like an explanation.

paintbattler
07-03-2002, 08:37 PM
prob becuz of ur sig :p .lol jk..i havent seen u done anything bad..

TransMan
07-03-2002, 08:40 PM
oh yeah i saw it on one of your post somthin about diliberatly sercumventing the cuse filters or summin i think it was like a 3 day ban or summin

shartley
07-03-2002, 09:03 PM
Okay.. how about this? Instead of creating another account to ask why your other account was banned, why not just send the Admin an E-Mail and ask them directly? The reason I suggest this is that by creating another account, you could be compounding your problems (if the ban was intentional and not a glitch… glitches do happen at times too)…..:rolleyes:

MrAirgunRT
07-03-2002, 09:24 PM
I was banned by accident because of how AOL reroutes the IP or w/e, and I got hold of RobAGD, and he fixed it right away.

Vegeta
07-03-2002, 09:26 PM
Heres what I suggest-

Send an email to the mods and ASK THEM why. DUH! You are probably just getting yourself in MORE TROUBLE by getting another account idiot! thats like getting thrown out of a bar... and hten go back in and start talking again! you just don't do it! (unless your really, really drunk).

We haev seen this happen here lately with people who get banned, come back, make a big scene, cause more touble, get banned, etc etc. In my honest opinion... these people are ANNOYING AS HELL and very immature. So I suggest that you talk to the mods. If you are absolutely sure you did not do anything wrong, what probably happened is that someone with your current IP got banned.. and your IP got changed to it (happens with AOL customers sometimes). I belive that is what happens. So just ASK the mods... don't go and humiliate yourself on the boards. It is just annoying and makes you look like an asshat. Sorry but it's true.

nutz
07-03-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by shartley
Okay.. how about this? Instead of creating another account to ask why your other account was banned, why not just send the Admin an E-Mail and ask them directly? The reason I suggest this is that by creating another account, you could be compounding your problems (if the ban was intentional and not a glitch… glitches do happen at times too)…..:rolleyes:

Shartley, just wondering but how are we supposed to email the admin to ask them. I have posted on AO for awhile and have never had trouble with being banned or accidently being banned so i wouldnt know who to conntact. Maybe the email that tells u that u've been banned says who to contact about questions, or is there even an email?? The only way i know how to contact a mod would be by using the email button in their profile but to do that you would need a functioning account name, thus you would need to create a new account. Maybe I missed something but i think that i am gennerally knowledgeable on things that go on at AO

einhander
07-03-2002, 10:37 PM
Wow, is everybody done hosing down the deck with testosterone? Nutz is right. I created this account so I could get ahold of the right people, and because I don't like not being able to communicate with my fellow 'maggers. You don't know my situation, and frankly, I don't feel like explaining myself. Vegeta could be right, I could be plastered as I type this. I am in college, after all!

Butterfingers
07-03-2002, 10:37 PM
When you get banned you loose all visibility to the forums. When I was banned I had no idea was going on.

Army
07-03-2002, 10:55 PM
Since you called yourself an "Ambassador for this site", I will show you why:

einhander619
Martyr Machine Team Capt.

Whenever someone bashes my RT, I smile and politely challenge them to a 1 on 1. Sometimes I lose, sometimes I win. Sometimes I bunker the *EDIT* This was a blatant circumvention of the cuss filter. You have earned a 3 day ban. Army Usually I leave the field with a little more respect than I walked on with, though. One key to never getting bashed is to never bash. Cockers are still outdated and pointless, though.

You edited the "F" word so as to be easily discernable by anyone with 1/2 a brain, and to defeat the filter. That is not only a rule violation, and you know it, but it was simply not needed in the post.

Should you, in the future, feel the need to use crude language, please go to PBC or PBReview where they, seemingly, accept poor behavior.

Your membership will be reinstated soon, please contact the Webmaster to have this account deleted.

Miscue
07-03-2002, 10:55 PM
If you clear your cookies then you can see fine, even if banned.

nutz
07-04-2002, 12:08 AM
Alright well i take back what i said about the emails not being any where. I found them in the meet the modertators section of AO. I was thinking about where emails could be found so i went there. However not many people would know to look there and just want to make a new account. I think the emails of moderators need to be in a more noticeable place. Another suggestion i just thought of could be a new forum added to AO like a site help and complaints forum. Just a suggestion but i think it would clean up much of the main forum and make important info easily accesable to people who are new and need some help

Jonno06
07-04-2002, 12:13 AM
so......he said a cuss word??

Cliffio
07-04-2002, 01:11 AM
he overran the cuss filter, violating one of the websites rules, instant ban

Cliff

CpSuPeRkId
07-04-2002, 01:34 AM
*EDIT* Circumventing the cuss filters to explain cussing is just plain stupid. Army

shartley
07-04-2002, 06:00 AM
Yes, good points brought up.

Let me first handle the e-mail issue if I may.

I don’t CARE if you don’t know how to e-mail AO Admin. The same as it is not my responsibility to teach you how to DRIVE a car. There are some things that are pretty much standard with almost all web sites… info@automags.org and quite often webmaster@automags.org. When in doubt on any site, I usually send the same e-mail to BOTH those types of addresses… and I have never failed to reach SOMEONE. People should also know that if all else fails that they can go over to the AGD main site and send THEM an e-mail asking about it.

Come on… are we now saying that the average AO member does not know WWW 101? I just don’t buy it. Either people are getting really stupid all of a sudden, or they are simply lazy.

As for the cuss issue… I agree, that should be equal across the board (as with all rules). I too have seen Moderators act in ways that would have gotten a strong warning if not a temp ban. I have seen them (and others close to them) cuss and circumvent the cuss filter too. I think they will be paying closer attention to their own posts from now on as well, so there is no need in going into it any further on the equality issue. The point has been made. (Plus to be honest, this thread is not about the Moderators breaking the rules, it is about someone else… I would suggest that if you see a Moderator break a rule, that people address it at THAT time. And not detract from the actions of another member, which is being discussed. ;))

I will however say that there is NO excuse when it comes to cussing. There are WAY too many steps involved in posting swearing on AO.. you think it, you type it, you post it….. that is FAR from standing next to someone and it going from your brain to your mouth. Does this mean I am a prude? LOL Not by a long shot! (big misconception) I just know there is a time and a place for everything, and AO is neither the time nor place for swearing. And there is no excuse for bad language here… heck, crap, etc. convey the same meaning as their counterparts… do you think I SAY those words in average conversation? LOL But I use them here on the forum.

And I actually have more patience with someone accidentally using a word the cuss filter may block than if they blatantly circumventing the filter all together. One may very well be a genuine mistake, the other is totally intentional and breaks 2 rules in one… first by swearing, and second by doing so avoiding the filters.

Come on folks….. it seems that for some reason, total common sense has left the building. I would like to see it come back…. We are better than that.

KHartley
07-04-2002, 06:05 AM
Very good, Sam, I couldn't have said it better myself. ;)

However, I do have a question, is an email sent to the individual once they have been banned? It would seem to be one easy way of letting the individual know that he has been banned, why and for how long.

cphilip
07-04-2002, 08:55 AM
Yes it is Kim. And yes they do get emails. Often the claim they never got one or that account is old and they never check it etc etc....

Sometimes we take into account the use of the filtered word. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen vacuum mispelled and va*** results! In some cases people type in the ***** ! Not even the filter! Just so they will not curse is the logic!!! :) I also let slide the use of the term for a small donkey if its not used to flame or put someone down. That one I find mild and its the intent we are looking for and repeatabiltiy that curse words are used on.

One thing here I seem to hear all the time is that YOU see people getting away with it. Well I ask; How do you know that? Many times you see a few ***'s and I hear from people who assume we let it go. And they complain that we didn't do anything. Unbeknown to you that person most likely got a private reminder. We do not always comment on the tread and often folks get emails and pms on things that the rest of you never know about. Be carefull what you assume.

Jonno06
07-04-2002, 08:56 AM
cphillip said if u clear ur cookie,u can read everything,but that never works for me...

i guess you can get a friend to come on and see how long it is,or try for the chatroom,but ull be most likely kicked.

also...about circumventing the cuss filters....would "arse",or other words of the like,be bad?

no one needs to cuss anyway,whats wrong with saying butt?

MagMan5446
07-04-2002, 11:18 AM
Clearing your cookies would work because you aren't logged in anymore. You just can't log in to post and whatnot.

KHartley
07-04-2002, 12:05 PM
Thank you, Phil. I can only imagine how many times you do hear that someone did not receive the email. It is easier to blame everyone else than to take responsibility for ones own actions.

I agree that people should not assume that nothing was done when in fact something may have been. Of course, my thought on the whole thing is that if people didn't find it necessary to curse we wouldn't be having this conversation anyway. :)

FactsOfLife
07-04-2002, 01:40 PM
Either people are getting really stupid all of a sudden, or they are simply lazy.

I vote for the former. Somebody made the original mistake of making something Idiot Proof. Of course the natural follow up to that is they started making better idiots. It's a vicious circle.:p

wes
07-04-2002, 02:22 PM
There are some things that are pretty much standard with almost all web sites… info@automags.org and quite often webmaster@automags.org. When in doubt on any site, I usually send the same e-mail to BOTH those types of addresses… and I have never failed to reach SOMEONE.

me thinks on AO if you send an email to anyone at @automags.org then it goes to webby, so like hahahehehahahaahehehehahahahehehehahah@automags.or g would go to webby. cause i sent love letters to some name and webby said some stuff back or somting

shartley
07-04-2002, 02:42 PM
wes
I was using a BASIC that works with almost any business site. It was an example, not the ONLY way. ;)

Showing that anyone not knowing a thing about AO, but had at least a minimal “surfing” knowledge, would have been able to contact AO Admin without making a new account and posting. It was showing that the excuse of not knowing the contact e-mail simply does not ring true… unless you are such a noob that you were lucky to even GET to AO in the first place. ;):D

FaSSt
07-04-2002, 04:14 PM
It's CURSING, not CUSSING! Get it right.

shartley
07-04-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by FaSSt
It's CURSING, not CUSSING! Get it right.
(major edit)
:rolleyes: