PDA

View Full Version : Trouble playing rec ball in the UK (longish)

tonyF
07-04-2002, 04:45 PM
Ok, so I've got my mag, played a few times locally. A group of us hire the local site for the evening and everything is fine. Until now. We wanted to go on the same site this weekend and my two mates are ok with thier Inferno (diablo) T3's but I've been told that my mag is not welcome on site as we will be joining other groups of people. I can come on site but must use a site gun!
I want to eventually (read hopefully) play in tournaments.
They have also told me that if I fit an elcd trigger (that I have just brought), a level 10 (which I will be getting fitted) or a retro valve (on my want list) they will not let me on site at all.
So ok I,ve got my mag, now where do I play!!!
Anyone else had a similar problem.

shartley
07-04-2002, 04:57 PM
That would chap my rear. The Marker does not make the person “better” than anyone else playing… but having a higher quality Marker ensures that the Marker will NOT be the weak link in your game. More people need to realize that (field owners more so).

The same way as seeing someone carrying an Angel does not instill “fear” in me simply because they have one… pfft Heck, owning a fast car does not mean you can DRIVE worth a darn either.

I would explain it to the owner (nicely) and see if he will make an exception. Ask him how he would feel if because he liked quality, he went out and got himself a nice sports car, and then when he went to drive home they stopped him from driving down half the streets. Not because he was speeding, not because he was a professional race car driver, but because he simply HAD a fast car.

Or how about owning an expensive Billiards Cue? Should you be NOT allowed to play at local Billiards Hall because you own a $800+ Pool Cue? That would be silly.

You should not be penalized because you like the best… and GOT it. And owning the best in itself is not an indicator of your actual skill level, or “intent” of play.

(Oh… and what did you mean with “longish” in the Thread Title? LOL Your post was actually quite short. :D)

tonyF
07-04-2002, 05:25 PM
Too much posting on newsgroups made me think it was a bit long...funny it always seems longer typing it. Your right about the marker not making you a better player. I am new to the sport and would be the first to admit that I have one hell of a lot to learn. I fell in love with the mag the first time I see one and knew that any other marker would be second best.
We have discussed it over the last couple of days with the site owner and he won't budge. At one point it looked like the group ( about 40ish) were going to look for somewhere else to play. But to be fair I said I'd rather play by his rules. So it looks like I will have to strip the elcd trigger off and refit the standard one, and keep quite about the level 10 when we play on a evening games to get on site.
What really sticks in the throat with this site is they sell fully tricked out angels in thier site shop. But by thier rules you would not be allowed to use it, unless they held a tournament! Although I have a funny feeling that if I walked in there on sunday with £1200 ($1,800) and brought the angel on condition I could take it on site for the day, the rules may be bent a little. They make a small fortune there anyway, a days rec. costs us over £60 ($90) each anyway.
So if anyone can recommend a site in the London/Essex area that is mag friendly, let me know.

RKL
07-09-2002, 03:29 PM
You could try the UK Paintball Sports Federation site http://www.ukpsf.com/

They have a directory of fields. You also might e-mail Steve "Bully" Bull, the President, explaining your problem.

Good Luck

Bob
The Canadian hiding in Bath

DarkRipper
07-09-2002, 09:44 PM
It definitely sounds to me as if they're trying to get another rental gun hired out, rather than just trying to keep the sharks away from the minnows.

:)
DR

Army
07-09-2002, 09:55 PM
Well shucks! Since you are close to Essex, just go here and ask these lads what field will welcome you and your 'Mag!

Sprawls Farm, West Bergholt, Colchester, Essex, CO6 3DN, U.K. (http://www.airgun.com/Europe/)

I will guarantee you, these blokes will steer you in the right direction, and welcome you with open arms!

BTW: That's the home of AGD Europe!

Bad Dave
07-10-2002, 03:12 AM
Tony: not many sites in the UK are prepared to mix players new to paintball with those who have their own kit, I'm afraid those that are tend to be pretty poor sites.

As you have spent a bit of money on your mag why not try some walk-ons against other guys with their own kit? I know camelot paintball near dorking surrey, paintzone in whyteleafe surrey and skirmish billericay in essex run walk-ons (or have done).

However if you are looking for tournament experience why not put an add on p8ntballer.com that your looking for a team.

If I can be of any more help give me a mail on bad.dave666@btinternet.com

Jeb_Hoge
07-10-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Bad Dave
Tony: not many sites in the UK are prepared to mix players new to paintball with those who have their own kit, I'm afraid those that are tend to be pretty poor sites.

As you have spent a bit of money on your mag why not try some walk-ons against other guys with their own kit?

Good of you to offer the advice, but re-reading the post makes me believe that it's just Tony being "discriminated" against as his two friends also have their own guns (blowbacks). Sounds to me like he needs to find a new field.

Bad Dave
07-10-2002, 10:55 AM
Rereading your post tony I think I know the site you mean, if it is as I suspect, I train there every month and am a member of a site team, I suggest you send me a mail and maybe I can hook you up with one of the site teams perhaps?

The people that run the site are respectable and care a lot about the satisfaction of all those people playing there, sounds like you have the kit so why not give tournies a go?