PDA

View Full Version : OK, i want to home anno, and i want to do clear parts, need help!

magman007
07-04-2002, 07:47 PM
Ok i read the steps on how to ann everything and i want to do it, but i want to anno a part clear, its nice pollished aluminum and i just want to strengthen it and make it a little more scratch resistant, so i was wondering, to clear anno do i just do everything and leve out the rit dye? do i electrically charge it and then wash it then boil it? and just skip the dying process? this is what seems logical to me. please if you kno what your doing, Maybe Mr Bill Mills, please comment, i need to know asap

BTAutoMag
07-04-2002, 08:22 PM
at warpig they have instuctions on the tech page....

magman007
07-04-2002, 08:37 PM
yep, read them but they gave no instructions for clear, because im sure there is no clear rit dye, im wondering if the dye is necessary for clear or if i just skip the dying process

BTAutoMag
07-04-2002, 08:43 PM
just do it in silver.... other wise i have no clue

magman007
07-04-2002, 08:53 PM
hmm, but the instructions call fro rit dye, and i doubt that they have silver clothing dye. i dunno!

p8ntballa
07-04-2002, 10:03 PM
Anno is clear, then it is dyed for the color.

Post in the void warrenty section on PB Nation. They will tell you everything you need to know.

magman007
07-04-2002, 10:22 PM
ok, so skip the dying process after electrically charging everything? just wash off and drop into boiling water to cure the metal?

SqueegeeKid
07-04-2002, 10:49 PM
http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~chrish/t-anodis.htm

http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html

Those are 2 sites about anodizing. I'm pretty sure they mention something about clear parts. I haven't looked at them in a while though, forgot most of teh info. The only thing i remember is that i DON'T want to do it myself. I'll end up killing myself or something.

Enjoy and good luck.

TRIAD
07-04-2002, 11:11 PM
I don't think that's how you anno something clear. What you are doing when you put the part in the jar, the part becomes the positive pole and the negative pole is a piece of wire. This charges the part to attract the rit dye, therefore adhering the dye to the part. Now, if you just charge the part, nothing will happen. Therefore, you must put A color on it, whether it be a very light silver or whatnot, but doing no color will do nothing to the part.

magman007
07-05-2002, 12:01 AM
ok, so what do i do? just get the part and drop it in boiling water? to cure the metal?

athomas
07-05-2002, 07:10 AM
Annodize:

- First make sure the part is totally clean (strip using muriatic acid).
- annodize using a 2 part sulfuric acid, one part water mix for the annodize bath.
- make sure you have a good dc power supply ( a 12v car battery can work well, or a good battery charger).
- use a sheet of lead for your annode (its not really an annode in annodizing).
- Use the aluminum part to be annodized as the cathode.
- Make sure the aluminum part never touches the annode.
- with the part submersed in the annodize bath, turn on the power and watch it bubble. When the bubbling stops, its done.
- The size of the part dictates the current draw from the power source.
- The process will grow about .001" of oxide layer per 7 min of process.
- Have your color ready before you take the part out of the solution because it will start to oxidize as soon as it hits the air.
- soak the part in the dye solution until the correct color depth is achieved, usually darker than desired because some will leech out during the cure process. If a clear aluminum finish is desired, skip the color dip process.
- Cure the surface by heating the part to seal the pores of the oxide layer. This can be done in an oven or by steam, or boiling. Many use steam or boiling. Use distilled water to prevent water marks.

Hope this helps.

richie
07-05-2002, 01:57 PM
why don't you have it clear powdercoated? It will be a lot stronger of a finish.

athomas
07-05-2002, 03:01 PM
Annodize is stronger than powdercoating.

Annodize is a hardened aluminum finish, very resistant to scratches and chipping.